Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1559194 times)

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
  • This is getting personal.
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim
« Reply #1410 on: November 17, 2011, 12:28:51 am »

Man, marriage is seriously lame. I was expecting to be able to sire children, and start up a small farm, maybe grow some wheat and gourds. My children can work in the fields while I go out hunting dragons. One child will always be with me, to be trained into a battle-scarred warrior from birth. Me and my wife would spend many nights together, creating an army of babies. I will then eventually rule all of Skyrim! Muwahahaha...

No, seriously though, marriage is lame. Real big flop Bethesda, real big fookin' flop.

Hardcap of 200 MB/24 hours.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: November 17, 2011, 12:30:19 am »

FUS RO DAH!!!

Really, that shout is just great. I mean, it was fun seeing a Giant getting pushed away by a fully charged Unrelenting Force shout.

Also, try using Firebolt on dragon corpses. Try it.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: November 17, 2011, 12:41:48 am »

Man, marriage is seriously lame. I was expecting to be able to sire children, and start up a small farm, maybe grow some wheat and gourds. My children can work in the fields while I go out hunting dragons. One child will always be with me, to be trained into a battle-scarred warrior from birth. Me and my wife would spend many nights together, creating an army of babies. I will then eventually rule all of Skyrim! Muwahahaha...

No, seriously though, marriage is lame. Real big flop Bethesda, real big fookin' flop.
Give modders some time and they'll incorporate RTS elements into having babies with your marriage partner.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: November 17, 2011, 12:42:37 am »

You were looking for some medieval fantasy sims version. Or Fable 2/3.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: November 17, 2011, 12:53:04 am »

Has anyone else visited Azuras shrine yet? It's seriously fuckoff huge. Huuugge. I was honestly pretty impressed that I could make her out perfectly from the base of the mountain.

Of course I think I'm gonna get a certain star now.

Oh, that quest was great.

DarkerDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: November 17, 2011, 12:58:10 am »

I love the unrelenting force shout!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: November 17, 2011, 01:07:03 am »

I haven't encountered any obvious delivery quests yet

There's one in Morath where you literally deliver a letter to Whiterun.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: November 17, 2011, 01:11:43 am »

I haven't encountered any obvious delivery quests yet

There's one in Morath where you literally deliver a letter to Whiterun.

Or the one of the very first quests: the feud with Sven and Faendal. Sven gives you a letter.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Imofexios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: November 17, 2011, 01:39:12 am »

Haha yesterday i saw Faendal dead in front of Sven's house ;)

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: November 17, 2011, 01:53:11 am »

Oh dear god. Every TES game I hope this one thing doesn't return. IT ALWAYS COMES BACK!

In other news Lydia got hit by a giant, and I think she somehow got stuck in the skybox or something. Poor girl hasn't come down yet.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: November 17, 2011, 02:03:53 am »

Faendal allows you to become a faceshooting archery master within like minutes of starting a new game, he's a bro.

Sven's a loser.

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
  • This is getting personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: November 17, 2011, 02:06:35 am »

Oh dear god. Every TES game I hope this one thing doesn't return. IT ALWAYS COMES BACK!

In other news Lydia got hit by a giant, and I think she somehow got stuck in the skybox or something. Poor girl hasn't come down yet.

Just wait until you read the third volume....

*shudders*

But man, I love reading the books on this game! So clear and crisp, it's much easier than on Oblivion.

Also note: My companion Orc Beserker guy (Grub-something?) took on a giant by himself, easily. When I logged off, he was killing a dragon.

ALONE. Also note: He has two staffs (WTF?) and kills everything with them, along with his huge artifact two-handed magical axe "Aegisbane" or something. SO BADASS!

Hardcap of 200 MB/24 hours.

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: November 17, 2011, 02:31:26 am »

I just found out that there's no cap on spell cost reduction (although I don't think that going over 100% will cause it to refund magicka).  I like the fact that they managed to remove most of the versatility of enhantment without making it any less broken.

irbis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: November 17, 2011, 02:36:18 am »

I think i know what exactly makes Skyrim a good or even great game.
Sure, the scripting blows, npc's AI is Homer Simpson caliber, UI is almost the worst i ever seen, level scaling world is terrible but...

Theres something in the woods that makes me feel like i would be playing P'n'P rpg.
Technialy the game is good but far from what media claims ("RPG of decade" - rubbish). but it leaves much for your imagination, or should i say - roleplaying. A huge part of this is the graphics and eviroment. Just look at th mountains picks with fog crawlng on their edges. OR the aurora in the night. Jesus, this alone makes you stand in place just freaking watching the show. Like a screensaver or something. Seriously, i dont rememeber a game THIS beautifull that it made me stop playing and just look around. So far my jaws were broken several times by the landscape but this sent me directly to the hospital

the dungeons, the woods, animals, secret stashes, abbandom houses in the middle of nowhere with lore and story, the ways you can play the game...

Seriously.
I make the room dark, i put my headphones, i start the game and... i am there. Sometimes you really can forget for a brief moment that you are playing a GAME.

I sharpened my two swords and choped some wood for the Riverside. Then i gone for hunting. Ive seen a deer so i crawled in the bushes to get to the right position to have a clean shot from my hunting bow looted from some bandit. I aimed carefully and suddenly! A wolf jumped out of nowhere and attacked my deer. Headshot the deer then i grab my swords and sliced the wolf. Both skin and pelt will give me lots of lether. On my way home i bumped a nice iron ore, saved some Khajit mage from beign eaten by pit wolfs, foraged loads of herbs and found a secret Nirn Root (!!!) just by the Riverside, glowing in the dark with creepy whispers around it.
Lether became a lether armor better the the iron one ive looted from that imperial scum.

Dam what a nice Skyrim day that was!

btw:
the quest magic collage when you are beint sent after some staff that the quest giver sold and wants it back. theres a puzzle with that 4 turnable pillars, with eagle, whale and snake.
how many of you figured out the right combination by themself? :) that surw was a tricky riddle
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 02:56:49 am by irbis »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: November 17, 2011, 03:17:11 am »

Morrowind's system of enchanting was a little goofy, although classic. Having items cast the actual spell or have proc on strike or passive effects....made for a lot of clutter and repetition.

Skyrim  is on the other end of the extreme though. You can't even put all the fortify enchants on one kind of item, only a few kinds like armor. Part of the fun of TES is breaking the system and how you break the system. While Skyrim is great and all, it's made the ways you break the system a little less fun and less organic. It's telling when their hardcoded shouts are more interesting and useful than anything the players can produce (except stuff that's composed of raw numbers.) The variety and styles of equipment is really nice, but I think it's there to mask how shallow the system actually is. Or at least make up for it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 896