Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 333 334 [335] 336 337 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1558968 times)

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim
« Reply #5010 on: February 09, 2012, 09:45:48 pm »

I don't know if somebody already mentioned this, but, remember how Bethesda said "Skyrim is a new engine, the Creation Kit is totally new!" right?

Turns out weapons in Skyrim all have a base VATS accuracy, editable in the Creation Kit. That's right, the auto-targeting system from Fallout 3.
What the hell.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5011 on: February 09, 2012, 09:46:06 pm »

I don't know if somebody already mentioned this, but, remember how Bethesda said "Skyrim is a new engine, the Creation Kit is totally new!" right?

Turns out weapons in Skyrim all have a base VATS accuracy, editable in the Creation Kit. That's right, the auto-targeting system from Fallout 3.
I wonder how long until VATS will make it into Skyrim. :P

Also, what liars. Er, if they said that it was a new engine. I don't believe I've seen where they said it was a new engine.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5012 on: February 09, 2012, 09:57:14 pm »

Also, what liars. Er, if they said that it was a new engine. I don't believe I've seen where they said it was a new engine.
https://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=lttma%2Cn%3D100&tok=g0NMkEutoXNjyGIec98Mmw&cp=14&gs_id=1y&xhr=t&q=Skyrim+new+engine&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&source=hp&pbx=1&oq=Skyrim+new+eng&aq=0&aqi=g1g-b3&aql=&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=2ea555e16508ec1f&biw=1920&bih=930

Beth kind of droned on about it for a while.
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5013 on: February 09, 2012, 09:58:44 pm »

Bethesda could make an argument that it's a new engine via Mereological essentialism.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5014 on: February 09, 2012, 10:14:44 pm »

So, it would be a new engine because they reimplemented several important methods changed the name?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5015 on: February 09, 2012, 10:16:27 pm »

Maybe part of the reason why it took them so long to release the CS was because they were trying to cover their tracks with reagrd to the engine. Evidently they didn't do a good job of it if that's the case.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5016 on: February 09, 2012, 10:22:11 pm »

If they were trying at all they would have hidden the VATS stuff. It was probably all to do with Steam, and the tutorial videos etc. There's not a ton of new features in the CK itself and a lot of those were probably in when they were making Skyrim. Probably a lot of people took vacations too.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5017 on: February 09, 2012, 11:52:48 pm »

It can be a different engine, just using the same data files.

It's not like the embryowhatsitsname engine used Bethesda's ESP... ESB, er, DERP files or whatever. At least I don't think so.

So they're recycling the data files... so did Quake with the WAD files and it's not the same engine as Doom.

This seems relevant: http://peter.corrosivetruths.org/2011/12/21/is-skyrims-creation-just-gamebryo/

Not that I can vouch for whether Skyrim uses it or not, but like the link says, data files do not equal code. (like using 3DS files doesn't mean you're using the 3D Studio "Engine")
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 11:57:36 pm by Sergius »

RaySmuckles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5018 on: February 10, 2012, 12:05:43 am »

Okay, VATS with a bow and arrow could be kind of fun as a novelty. Maybe import some FO:3/NV weapons... Dovahkiin don't need to FUS RO DAH with a Lincoln Repeater.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5019 on: February 10, 2012, 12:12:25 am »

Wait... vats...

This means the game knows what body part you hit..

does this mean that we can have an effect if you shoot an arrow in the right place?

That turns an NPC into a guard, perhaps?

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5020 on: February 10, 2012, 12:16:13 am »

Regarding VATS, I don't think NPCs have hit locations- it's just engine leftovers. I doubt it would be trivial to re-implement VATS in Skyrim.

I'm not very well versed in Skyrim's scripting, however I think that with a little modification of the magic effect used in the Wabbajack, I could get a spell/weapon to turn targets into any other given creature.

RaySmuckles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5021 on: February 10, 2012, 12:16:31 am »

Wait... vats...

This means the game knows what body part you hit..

does this mean that we can have an effect if you shoot an arrow in the right place?

That turns an NPC into a guard, perhaps?

I think it would only apply to adventurers like you.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5022 on: February 10, 2012, 12:20:11 am »

I'm not very well versed in Skyrim's scripting, however I think that with a little modification of the magic effect used in the Wabbajack, I could get a spell/weapon to turn targets into any other given creature.
Ooh, polymorph spells. Sounds fun. You got my thumbs up for this.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5023 on: February 10, 2012, 12:43:12 am »

Ooh, polymorph spells. Sounds fun. You got my thumbs up for this.

Turning NPCs into dragons?
Me like this idea!
Imagine the havoc we might unleash upon the cities of Skyrim!

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5024 on: February 10, 2012, 02:25:34 am »

Turning NPCs into dragons?
Me like this idea!
Imagine the havoc we might unleash upon the cities of Skyrim!

Bonus points if the polymorphed dragons still have the normal voices of the NPCs. Especially because most of them sound so silly, it'd be fun to see a dragon with a terrible accent.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian
Pages: 1 ... 333 334 [335] 336 337 ... 896