Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 344 345 [346] 347 348 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1558546 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim
« Reply #5175 on: February 13, 2012, 02:49:59 pm »

You know, them rings are pretty small, it's amazing they fit.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5176 on: February 13, 2012, 02:53:51 pm »

I had them enlarged to...

nevermind, let's stop.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5177 on: February 13, 2012, 02:57:07 pm »

Any place where the lighting engine flexes its muscles is fantastic, and we really should see more of what it can do. Historical accuracy is not really a problem. I would just prefer more varies loot containers, like barrels that didn't always have junk I don't want.

To me, the historical accuracy is part and parcel of immersion. Take the Dwemer ruins for example. Everything there pretty much works. Light sources are generated by arcane dwemer lanterns whose function NO ONE knows, loot is mostly Dwemer junk with the occasional filler. That all works and not once in any of the Dwemer ruins did I have a "wait what?" moment.

Whereas almost every Draugr tomb (or cave/tomb/ruined fort....they all freaking blend together) I constantly ran into things that made me question, in an immersion sense, exactly how it got there.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5178 on: February 13, 2012, 02:57:41 pm »

Does anyone have a good 'darker dungeons/darker nights' mod? I have tried one from the steam workshop thing but all it does is place a super dark filter over the view which lights up unrealistically when there are light sources. It is very artificial feeling. Ideally I'd like one which just removed all light sources in ancient dungeons which shouldn't have candles and torches still burning 500 years later, or the random caves which have light glowing from random spots on the bloody wall for no discernible reason. I have no problem with well-lit bandit lairs or glowing mushrooms/lichen but there are lots of ancient ruins with nothing but undead inside which are brightly lit for some reason.

Why include torches if you can walk through the dead of night or entirely unlit caves and still see out to 50 meters? Its no wonder they never bothered to make lanterns usable, why should they? I would love to be creeping through a pitch dark cave and see nothing but the glowing eyes of the undead ahead of me or the flickering of a distant candle while listening to the rattling of distant skeletons and wondering if they can see me. I want dark dungeon delving! At least then the candlelight/magelight spells would be useful.

For the record, in the Elder Scrolls engine last I checked (it certainly was like this in Morrowind, but I didn't have Oblivion for the PC) when a dungeon is "dark" there is actually a black ambient or local light applied to the area. Without light, everything is perfectly visible and appears just as it would in, say, the modeling program they were made in. You could go through every dungeon and do this manually, but the outside cells might require some clever scripting to be dark during the night and not day (well, maybe, I haven't edited any outdoor lighting settings yet).

Take the Dwemer ruins for example. Everything there pretty much works. Light sources are generated by arcane dwemer lanterns whose function NO ONE knows...
To be fair, they're obviously gas lamps. Not that your character would know, but still.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 03:05:12 pm by Sensei »
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5179 on: February 13, 2012, 03:01:28 pm »

Pretty much any modelling program and game has an ambient light setting that can be changed, that sets the minimum level of light that anything has. This is so that shadows are not pitch black. it's white when you make a new area in the CK, just so you can see where the hell everything is, but that doesn't mean there's a darkness filter applied later.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5180 on: February 13, 2012, 03:08:39 pm »

Well down Bay12. Took only ONE POST to get to the dickjoke...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5181 on: February 13, 2012, 05:36:49 pm »

Anyway...
I found the guilty Mod. Something that had absolutely nothing to do with anything regarding speech or such. "Disable Fast Travel"...

Yeah your guess is as good as mine. Whenever it was activated the Dragon wouldn't roar, and I can't be asred to see which mod it could be conflicting with if it is conflicting with a mod...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

RaySmuckles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5182 on: February 13, 2012, 07:13:41 pm »

So, did anybody else play by running everywhere for the first time? I explored every city and most major landmarks (on foot, kept losing my horse so I gave up on him) before I realized that you could take cart trips...

And I'm glad I did. Discovered SO MUCH MORE. I love running into a dungeon I didn't know was there, or a bandit camp and slaughtering them, etc.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5183 on: February 13, 2012, 07:59:29 pm »

O god the horse.... Just doesn't seem worth buying one. I got the steed stone so my heavy armor weighs nothing and I can carry more, so massive stamina boost. I think I might even outrun my horse.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5184 on: February 13, 2012, 08:06:09 pm »

O god the horse.... Just doesn't seem worth buying one. I got the steed stone so my heavy armor weighs nothing and I can carry more, so massive stamina boost. I think I might even outrun my horse.
I don't think your stamina effects your run speed (although I could easily be wrong), I think the horse is flat out faster then you are as well as being able to run forever, at the expense of not being able to run up rocks/cliffs.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5185 on: February 13, 2012, 08:07:51 pm »

And getting brutally murdered as you go through the dismount animation.
*Hugs*

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5186 on: February 13, 2012, 08:12:45 pm »

They have another bonus: If you fall a great distance, they die, but you don't (although if anything is there its going to kill you in the 10 seconds it takes you to get up, this only happened once accidentally, so I might be wrong about this).

So, did anybody else play by running everywhere for the first time? I explored every city and most major landmarks (on foot, kept losing my horse so I gave up on him) before I realized that you could take cart trips...

And I'm glad I did. Discovered SO MUCH MORE. I love running into a dungeon I didn't know was there, or a bandit camp and slaughtering them, etc.
Personally I think the cart trips are kind of stupid.
If they allow you to travel anywhere instantly once you have gotten there once, adding the ability to travel to any city even if you haven't been there is kind of overkill (and really pointless after you use it a few times).
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5187 on: February 13, 2012, 08:28:56 pm »

I think it was their attempt to not repeat Oblivion's mistake: dropping the player into one dominant city where they'll spend an inordinate amount of time. They were trying to give people the freedom in where they started.

In retrospect, there should have been a better way to access the Dragon Shouts, and the whole questline. Having it stuck to Whiterun caused me to get to level 20+ before I realized I had to do the main quest to get anything else more substantial. And the questline up to going to the Tombs will easily get you to level 20 in Vanilla. I was too consumed with trying to get to Riften, it would have been nice if the Dovahkin questline could have been written to kick off at ANY of the major cities. The cart would sort of have served a purpose then.

Unfortunately, to me, they thought the scripted events inside and outside of Whiterun were more important. Maybe for your first time through.....but definitely not your second, third, fourth....
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5188 on: February 13, 2012, 08:50:49 pm »

Personally I think the cart trips are kind of stupid.
If they allow you to travel anywhere instantly once you have gotten there once, adding the ability to travel to any city even if you haven't been there is kind of overkill (and really pointless after you use it a few times).

When I started my second character who is to become a mage, I did a few side quests and Whiterun and headed over to Winterhold by cart, to join the Council. When I headed to Saarthal, along the way there was a scavenger. He alone would have skinned me alive, but I dragged him back to another Council student (who's immortal thanks to quest status). Then I met a saber tooth tiger, which can down the Council student with one bite. I dragged it back to the instructor, Tolfdir. But it seemed Tolfdir's level is scaled to me... he went down in three bites. In the end I had to take a cart back to Whiterun and do it the old fashioned way: from town to town doing side quests.

So it's contradicting itself - freedom to go anywhere, cart to skip areas, yet some enemies have a minimum level.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5189 on: February 13, 2012, 08:54:10 pm »

The North of Skyrim does seem awfully dangerous. Taking the path from Whiterun, to Riften, up to Winterhold, things weren't that bad...but step off the path for even a minute and yeah, things started getting nasty very quickly.
Pages: 1 ... 344 345 [346] 347 348 ... 896