Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 574 575 [576] 577 578 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1549998 times)

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #8625 on: April 03, 2013, 06:57:20 am »

Or more appropriately, Jyggalag is the personification of Akatosh-Lorkhan's mental stability, while Sheo is the personification of his/their madness.
Yeah, that would fit quite well.

Alduin is Akatosh. He's not a different person, just a coin viewed from two different sides of a battlefield.
It gets better. He is also Auriel, Auri-El, Alkosh the Dragon King of Cats and is also the soul of the soul of Anu.
Those are different. They're just different names of the same being from different mythologies. Tyr/Tiwaz Mars/Ares kind of deal.
A bit more than just different names for the same being, it would probably be more accurate to say different aspects of the same being. This can at least partly be seen in that the effect of the blessing of Auriel is different than that of the blessing of Akatosh.

The aspects are also at least partially separate and may work against each other,as otherwise the blessing of Akatosh or Auriel should not work while fighting Alduin, as you run into the Slayers situation of "hey, give me some of your power so I can kill you!"(Which to be fair, Sheogorath kind of did take you up on during Oblivion).
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8626 on: April 03, 2013, 07:36:10 am »

They are not separate. The only one who thinks they are is Skyrim, who is stupid.
Love, scriver~

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8627 on: April 03, 2013, 02:00:28 pm »

Oh, they are very much different. Akatosh didn't even exist before Alessia made him up in order to appease both the Nords and the High Elves by coming up with a compromise god; thus, he has always existed.

The thing about the Elder Scrolls is that, when one believes in something hard enough, it becomes fact (See: Talos/Tiber Septim/King Wulfarth turning Cyrodiil into generic fantasyland #5039 instead of a jungle) When a bunch of people do, it always was.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8628 on: April 03, 2013, 02:28:44 pm »

That isn't relevant at all. Yes, Akatosh is the name used by the Alessian/Marukhian pantheon. That doesn't change that Akatosh=Auriel=Alduin. It's the same being. Just like Mars and Ares refer to the same basic god.
Love, scriver~

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8629 on: April 03, 2013, 02:41:52 pm »

That isn't relevant at all. Yes, Akatosh is the name used by the Alessian/Marukhian pantheon. That doesn't change that Akatosh=Auriel=Alduin. It's the same being. Just like Mars and Ares refer to the same basic god.
There is the literary text in Skyrim, however, that takes the opinions of many well educated scholars and explorers to come to the conclusion the Alduin is Real, and He ent Akatosh.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8630 on: April 03, 2013, 03:15:15 pm »

Some spoilers for the start of Dawnguard:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

FYI: Akatosh is the one that makes mortals Dragonborn. To serve as a natural predator for Dragons. Which are supposed to be his Aedra. He is also not very sane.

Akatosh himself is an Aedra, not his dragons. His dragons are... somehow related.

From the UESP:
"As the immortal children of Akatosh"
(Full page)

If they are not Aedra, they are Aedric in nature.

The Dragonborn seems to be mantling Talos a bit with his/her behavior (like the hero of Oblivion mantled Pelinal Whitestrake and the Neravarine mantled Neravar), or perhaps Lorkhan/Shor (who, while different beings, are the same).
Talos was confirmed by Bethesda to be a Shezarrine (an avatar of Shezarr/Shor/Lorkhan). Pelinal was also hinted to be a Shezarrine, but was never confirmed. Also the Oblivion character mantled Sheogorath primarily.

Alduin is Akatosh. He's not a different person, just a coin viewed from two different sides of a battlefield.

And furthermore, Akatosh is crazy. Akatosh and Lorkhan were once the same, but they went so crazy their split personality syndrome became a split person syndrome. That is how Sheogorath was born, by the way. Through Akatosh/Lorkhan's madness.

And every single thing that is not Daedric - every god, every spirit, every person, every animal, every tree, every grass, every stone, every metal, every physical law - is Aedra or Aedric respectively.
Akatosh and Lorkhan were never the same. And Sheogorath was "born" when the other Daedric Princes ganged up on Jyggalag and turned him into Sheogorath

There is the literary text in Skyrim, however, that takes the opinions of many well educated scholars and explorers to come to the conclusion the Alduin is Real, and He ent Akatosh.
Alduin is Akatosh. And he isn't. It's simple.

The main source of Akatosh's madness is Pelinal himself who said "Oh Aka, for our shared madness do I do this! I watch you watching me watching back!" (Source)

And what does this all prove? That I spend way too much time reading TES lore.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 03:19:06 pm by Deathsword »
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8631 on: April 03, 2013, 03:35:44 pm »

And Cyrodiil is a boring English hillside.
Love, scriver~

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
« Reply #8632 on: April 03, 2013, 03:51:38 pm »

Ah, those awkward moments where you accidentally turn into a vampire lord on your first meeting with Esbern...

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #8633 on: April 03, 2013, 08:48:46 pm »

1) Alduin is literally crystal dragon jesus: he's the son of Akatosh but at the same time is Akatosh. Except he's more of a world devourer than a messiah. A distinct entity embodying an aspect of something larger. I imagine it's vaguely similar to how you can fight a part of your own soul which has become a wolf.

2) I think people take the whole "mantling" thing a bit too abstractly, like some kind of ritual that lets one absorb another being or become them. It's not some kind of weird elder scrolls process, it's literally just adopting the "mantle." You might say Wesley mantled the Dread Pirate Roberts, or Napoleon mantled Cesar. At best you become the mask or the actual being retires and lets you take their place. Peryite isn't absorbing Akatosh by imitating him.

3) Also, perhaps we should take any and every book and piece of lore with a grain of salt. Like with actual mythology and folklore, there are things which are just plain wrong. And what's worse, we have little to no indication which stories represent pure superstition. Some seem fairly solid, but about others we can only conjecture. Really, it's all designed to keep the exact nature of things not revealed in gameplay nebulous.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Man In Zero G

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8634 on: April 03, 2013, 09:04:39 pm »

Everything is true. Especially the false things.

Never believe anything written by the Tribunal Temple, especially if it was allegedly penned by Vivec himself.

M'aiq is the only one who tells it straight, man.
Quote from: Toady One
Their lack of eyes should stop them from crying.
Just watching dwarves make poor decisions repeatedly as I fix their little minds...
I haven't checked since I'm not doing bugs until after the release (well, I'm doing bugs, in the additive sense).

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #8635 on: April 03, 2013, 09:06:00 pm »

The only truth in TES games regarding the lore is that everything is lying about lying and also not at the same time.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8636 on: April 03, 2013, 09:54:59 pm »

Also, Vivec once killed Tiber Septim. Septim later died of natural causes.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #8637 on: April 03, 2013, 09:59:40 pm »

I still don't get the whole thing with the space trees, the time traveling computer, and wasabi.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8638 on: April 03, 2013, 10:02:22 pm »

That... that is probably something that is never to be understood :P

Loveletter from the 5th era is a much better read.

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8639 on: April 04, 2013, 05:59:09 am »

If someone haven't played it yet - he have to try it! It's the best RPG. Especially for someone who like fantasy games with open world.
Pages: 1 ... 574 575 [576] 577 578 ... 896