Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 588 589 [590] 591 592 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1558742 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #8835 on: May 10, 2013, 11:23:52 am »

They said fewer but larger DLC, but the DLC's for oblivion were much bigger overall. There were a lot of little ones, but we got 3 big ones (Shivering, Knights, and Mehrune's Razor) while Skyrim had a Knights sized one, a Shivering sized one, and Hearthfire, which was kind of small.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8836 on: May 10, 2013, 12:29:23 pm »

In my opinion Mehrunes was actually really small. It was one hella big dungeon, but that's still just one dungeon.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8837 on: May 10, 2013, 01:15:46 pm »

The exact same can be said for almost any major title available on PC.

Ah, but is it that they have these "features" because they are major titles, or have they become major titles because of these "features"?

Can I get a list of recommended mods to make the game far more challenging and realistic them it currently is. I am going to be playing as a thrifty so keep that in mind. No need for heavy armor mods or anything. Also any mods that would make the game more enjoyable graphics or gameplay wise.
Also, autocorrect on phones sucks. I meant I am going to play as a thief.

Spitfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8838 on: May 10, 2013, 03:47:10 pm »

Ah, but is it that they have these "features" because they are major titles, or have they become major titles because of these "features"?

Woha, I didn't expect being confronted with such deep philosophical questions at this late hour.
Quote from: Rex_Nex
Wanting boobs is primal, not something sparked by the degradation of humanity.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8839 on: May 11, 2013, 02:06:29 am »

I think giving moddability to any "major" title makes it better in the long run by allowing players to make up for any shortcomings, shortsightedness, or attempts to make it more accessible to a wider array of gamers (see: removing stats a la Oblivion, removing spears, throwing weapons, Mysticism, spell crafting, etc). Really adds a lot to replayability when you can have a completely different game between playthroughs.

I don't think that every major title ends up having feature that make them major titles, they just appeal to the masses better.

What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8840 on: May 11, 2013, 02:47:36 am »

I always liked how I could fire up the construction set and tweak/edit the game however I wanted, so I could play it through and gradually change anything I diddnt like.

This is why I like the TES games despite having hardly played through them vanilla, vanilla is boring. Mixing your own flavours is fun. All games should be moddable.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #8841 on: May 11, 2013, 04:34:45 am »

All games should be moddable.

Any PC game that has a large or dedicated enough fan base is inevitably modded, even if it takes serious hacking to do so.  The same could even be said for console games, just with a much longer delay.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8842 on: May 11, 2013, 06:43:51 am »

So I have a minor question about Skyrim. I've borrowed the game for the Xbox and essentially powered straight through the main quest and beat the game, without any DLC. Now that the game's $30 USD on steam, I'm thinking of buying it. Would it be worth it to buy Skyrim in this case?

I believe Skyrim Game of the Year Edition is coming out in June. It has the base game and all DLCs.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8843 on: May 11, 2013, 09:17:43 am »

So I have a minor question about Skyrim. I've borrowed the game for the Xbox and essentially powered straight through the main quest and beat the game, without any DLC. Now that the game's $30 USD on steam, I'm thinking of buying it. Would it be worth it to buy Skyrim in this case?

I believe Skyrim Legendary Edition is coming out in June. It has the base game and all DLCs.
Fixed. Wouldn't want to cause confusion.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8844 on: May 11, 2013, 09:43:43 am »

Any PC game that has a large or dedicated enough fan base is inevitably modded, even if it takes serious hacking to do so.  The same could even be said for console games, just with a much longer delay.

A technicality, anyone can do almost anything with an exceptional ammount of resources and time. All games should be reasonably practical to mod. I have no interest in messing around with encryption etc.

(Note: I dont mean to say all games are required to be moddable, or any game that is not moddable is bad (modding tools take time and money to develop), but a game being moddable is a massive tick in its favour for me)
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8845 on: May 11, 2013, 10:04:56 am »

A technicality, anyone can do almost anything with an exceptional ammount of resources and time. All games should be reasonably practical to mod. I have no interest in messing around with encryption etc.

(Note: I dont mean to say all games are required to be moddable, or any game that is not moddable is bad (modding tools take time and money to develop), but a game being moddable is a massive tick in its favour for me)
Modding tools do take massive time but usually speeds up game development really quick once you have the framework down.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #8846 on: May 11, 2013, 10:10:52 am »

I was just quantifying my earlier statement.

The exact same can be said for almost any major title available on PC.

Which was in response to a post about how mods make PC Skyrim so much different from console Skyrim.  My whole point is this is a massive tick on favor of PC in general, as an all-encompassing answer to the question below as applied to almost any game at all.

In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8847 on: May 11, 2013, 12:37:13 pm »

It'd probably worth it to buy Skyrim. If you just plowed through the main quest, you missed more than half the entertaining content in the vanilla game alone, to say nothing of mods and DLC.

That said, it will be on sale at some point. You should wait until then.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #8848 on: May 11, 2013, 12:56:56 pm »

Steam usually runs their big summer sale around the end of July and considering Skyrims age there will likely be at least a 50% sale, and possibly better on one of the flash sales, so it may be worth waiting until then.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

cartmann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8849 on: May 11, 2013, 01:19:16 pm »

Well it's down from 20 pounds to 15, so hopefully a sale is on the horizon!
Pages: 1 ... 588 589 [590] 591 592 ... 896