Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 714 715 [716] 717 718 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1559027 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #10725 on: May 05, 2014, 06:23:47 am »

Java's a really, really bad language to try learning on. It's not a scripting language, for one, and it's probably one of the ugliest languages I've ever seen.
I dunno, I learned to code with java. I think its a cool language, unlike horrible FORTRAN.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10726 on: May 05, 2014, 06:59:43 am »

I'm mostly just insisting because I can't stand defeatism :P
But defeatism is so much easier than actually failing.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10727 on: May 05, 2014, 10:50:40 am »

Java's a really, really bad language to try learning on. It's not a scripting language, for one, and it's probably one of the ugliest languages I've ever seen.
I dunno, I learned to code with java. I think its a cool language, unlike horrible FORTRAN.
That's like saying "JFKs assassin was a pretty nice guy, unlike Hitler."

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10728 on: May 05, 2014, 12:10:23 pm »

That's like saying "JFKs assassin was a pretty nice guy, unlike Hitler."
FORTRAN is bad? you should see some medical database languages.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10729 on: May 05, 2014, 01:44:29 pm »

As far as high-level modern non-esoteric languages go, Java's ugly, though not in the same way as C++ (C++ has lines you don't understand what they do, Java has classes, files and programs you don't understand what they're doing).

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10730 on: May 05, 2014, 02:15:24 pm »

I learnt how to code using brainfuck, which despite the name is a very simple and easy language to grasp.
[/sarcasm]

Anyway, yeah. Brainfuck.
I like Ook!, myself.  It's basically Brainfuck, only with three syntax elements instead of eight. 

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10731 on: May 05, 2014, 02:20:24 pm »

As far as high-level modern non-esoteric languages go, Java's ugly, though not in the same way as C++ (C++ has lines you don't understand what they do, Java has classes, files and programs you don't understand what they're doing).
As someone who has tried to learn Java with no prior programming experience I can confirm this.
The book I bought had something like 3 pages of shit you needed to do before it got to things it actually explained.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #10732 on: May 05, 2014, 02:52:30 pm »

If you want to learn to code to make Skyrim mods, I suggest just learning Papyrus. The syntax hasn't changed too much since Morrowind, and it's a bit more intuitive than almost anything else I've seen (It's the only language I actually know how to use, aside from DF raws and some lua). A good way to get started is to see how much you can do ingame with console commands. Skyrim's console command prompt has very nice help and search features.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10733 on: May 05, 2014, 08:53:04 pm »

For little toy applications, sure. But for large, complicated software created in a professional enviroment by professional programmers (i.e. the very enviroment Java was designed for), it's quite good and far from ugly.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #10734 on: May 06, 2014, 12:10:31 am »

As someone who has tried to learn Java with no prior programming experience I can confirm this.
The book I bought had something like 3 pages of shit you needed to do before it got to things it actually explained.
As someone who is trying to learn Java (Minecraft modding, anyone?) with fairly reasonable programming experience, I can confirm this as well. Ugly, confusing, and at least three pages of shit to do before anything useful gets done.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10735 on: May 06, 2014, 08:56:39 am »

As long as you have a good IDE to work with, java isn't a bad language.  It workes a lot like other C style languages.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #10736 on: May 06, 2014, 11:22:55 am »

It's not that Java is bad even with a good IDE, it's that it's fallen behind. It's reached the point where other languages, with a good IDE, have become much easier and more pleasant to use whilst keeping maintainability for large projects. Heck, even C++ is catching up on the IDE front...Wait, this isn't the programming thread?

Anyway, Game of Thrones mod for Skyrim. May just reinstall Skyrim when coursework/exams are over...
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 11:30:11 am by MorleyDev »

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10737 on: May 06, 2014, 02:39:16 pm »

I played a mage type a bit.  I forgot how badly you need either lots of restore magicka potions or high enough enchanting for free destruction magic. 

I rerolled as a "sword-n-board" orc with light armor.  Should I invest perks in swords for chillrend or should I go for the more reliable maces?
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10738 on: May 06, 2014, 04:42:56 pm »

Been playing with Requiem. I like most everything it changes, and I do like the game being more difficult - but this is ridiculous. I feel like this is where someone jumps in with "well thats the point you should be really weak at level 1", but its so, so obvious Skyrim does NOT work with that mechanic. There's absolutely 0 fun in the game if you die to almost everything you'll meet and need to spend hours seeking out mudcrabs and wolves before you can graduate to maybe killing a bandit if you're lucky with the spawn.

I feel like a milkdrinker because of it, and I adore everything outside of this - but the mod is atrociously boring until you get a character that's at least semi competent.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #10739 on: May 06, 2014, 05:12:29 pm »

Been playing with Requiem. I like most everything it changes, and I do like the game being more difficult - but this is ridiculous. I feel like this is where someone jumps in with "well thats the point you should be really weak at level 1", but its so, so obvious Skyrim does NOT work with that mechanic. There's absolutely 0 fun in the game if you die to almost everything you'll meet and need to spend hours seeking out mudcrabs and wolves before you can graduate to maybe killing a bandit if you're lucky with the spawn.

I feel like a milkdrinker because of it, and I adore everything outside of this - but the mod is atrociously boring until you get a character that's at least semi competent.
When I did Requiem I grabbed the dynamic things mod and practiced on some of the archery targets and target dummies.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/32448
Pages: 1 ... 714 715 [716] 717 718 ... 896