Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 766 767 [768] 769 770 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1558415 times)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #11505 on: November 01, 2014, 05:54:47 pm »

The word evil doesn't really cover them all. I mean, some of them are assholes, but not all of them. Azura is rather nice. Sheogorath is just nuts, and he essentially invented music. Hircine is...Kinda nice?
Meridia doesn't care about mortals one way or another, unless you deal with undead in some way that draws her attention, in which case she'll send some champion to eviscerate you.  Malacanth protects the ostracized and is big on sworn oaths in general, but tends to go to overkill when it comes to revenge.  Hircine's a hunter, but he doesn't care who hunts or gets hunted.  Hemanumanumawhatsits (Hermaeus Mora) is big on knowledge, but doesn't really care how that knowledge is obtained; he'll give a quest to search for the ultimate tome of knowledge in one game, then have you go imprison souls for a divination ritual in another one.  At their best, I think you could consider them amoral.  The worst of them, though...

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11506 on: November 01, 2014, 06:12:47 pm »

Yeah they're not tied to morals. They're tied to their sphere of influence. Why would Hircine care who's hunting what so long the hunt is good? Why would Hermaeus care about how knowledge is gained so long it is gained? The Daedric Princes are pure representations of their chosen influences. Even Clavicus, who grants wishes, is -literally- a shapeshifter. A trickster in all lore, and oh man is he a trickster in the Elder Scrolls.

Man, I wanna deal with Sanguine in a game. Seem like my kind of Daedra.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11507 on: November 01, 2014, 08:03:43 pm »

All of the Daedra have a quest in most of the games. Sanguine's are some of my favorites. If you see a chance for debauchery in-game, take it.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11508 on: November 01, 2014, 09:09:03 pm »

All of the Daedra have a quest in most of the games. Sanguine's are some of my favorites. If you see a chance for debauchery in-game, take it.
Well.. I had a very debauching mod installed the other day.. <_<
Better not mention it due to The Great Toad watching.. >_>
However I uninstalled it after a while, because it tends to crash a lot.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11509 on: November 01, 2014, 09:15:03 pm »

It's rather hard not to encounter Sanguine in Skyrim.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #11510 on: November 02, 2014, 07:24:50 pm »

It's rather hard not to encounter Sanguine in Skyrim.
STALKING: The ultimate debauchery.

But yeah, generally what I'm saying is it seems to me that a much bigger deal should be made about the whole thing, given how many people have suffered at the hands of various Princes.
I mean sure they aren't all horribad, but even the best ones do questionable things, and the average Nord isn't gonna care that its "for the hunt" or etc. he's just gonna care that someone he loved is dead now or somesuch.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11511 on: November 02, 2014, 07:27:19 pm »

That's... Kind of why the average Nord doesn't worship Daedra.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11512 on: November 02, 2014, 07:28:07 pm »

And yet they still worship Lorkhan and Akatosh. Hm.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11513 on: November 02, 2014, 08:44:32 pm »

The average Nord whines about everything supernatural, including mer.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11514 on: November 02, 2014, 08:46:04 pm »

I wish someone would do a total remodel of the dragons to make them more.. dragon-like. (4 legs instead of 2)

Has someone done this?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11515 on: November 02, 2014, 08:52:10 pm »

I was playing with Burning Skies and was OMW to a bandit fort, when suddenly, DRAGON!

So I DUELED IT TO DEATH AS A DRAGON!

It was the metalest.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11516 on: November 02, 2014, 09:07:52 pm »

I just completed the lighthouse which had an annoying amount of Charus egg sacs to harvest.  It was annoying clicking around the clusters trying to get every sac. 

I just checked and I'm carrying 699 chaurus eggs.  Which are an Invisibility reagent.  My 100-alchemy stealth archer is doing a little dance.  Jeezum crow, I bet those clusters refill too.

Edit: I'm also carrying a 20-pound KEG of mead, a 20-pound elder scroll, 6 individual stones of Barenziah, and a stack of 4 stones of Barenziah.  I'm not sure why Skyrim quest items aren't weightless like in Oblivion... Being burdened against my consent is more immersion breaking than weightless objects.  Since some other objects are still weightless.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 09:13:05 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11517 on: November 02, 2014, 09:09:16 pm »

I wish someone would do a total remodel of the dragons to make them more.. dragon-like. (4 legs instead of 2)
And make at least Alduin twice as large as he currently is.
I think the wings are meant to be, like, pseudolegs.
Anyway, it's not like you can have scientifically accurate dragons.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11518 on: November 02, 2014, 09:12:12 pm »

The average Nord whines about fucking khajit too. I finally made my way up to High Hrothgar on my Frostfell survival character, and I love the female Khajit shouting voice. Fits my character perfectly :o But I should have climbed earlier. I ran into two bears, an ice-pelt sabre-cat and an ice wraith. The scripted troll was no problem, at least.

Has someone done this?

Why would you? Anatomically speaking, the bat-form of dragons is the only way for it to work. The bone structure just can't support the extra set of legs, it'd take away the necessary muscle system for flight. I like it a lot more this way, makes me feel like I'm fighting something actually real.

Now, don't get on my about this and them something like ice wraiths :P wraiths are fun to fight in their own right. I just like how awesomely huge dragons are and yet their physique is accurate.

Ninja-edit: Yeah basically. Ever seen a running vampire bat?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11519 on: November 02, 2014, 09:13:40 pm »

"Supernatural" isn't really a word you can apply to those things, since they're an observable part of the world that you'll be aware since around the time you can be aware of things and all. Besides that, Nords are very, very weird. Weird is the closest thing to supernatural in Elder Scrolls. Talos was weird, but he didn't much like weird. Of course, Talos was a Breton, so that doesn't really apply to the whole Nord thing.

Speaking of which, Barbas telling you that you shouldn't be surprised at a talking dog in Skyrim because "there are talking cats" is fucking stupid. No shit there are talking cats, here that's like saying "water is wet". Talking dogs you don't see.

While it's fully reasonable to say that dragons in ES are based on dragons of mythology, it's not exactly reasonable to say that they should match all the criteria, especially since they many things dragons don't and do not much of what dragons do.
Pages: 1 ... 766 767 [768] 769 770 ... 896