Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 767 768 [769] 770 771 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1550148 times)

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #11520 on: November 02, 2014, 09:14:56 pm »

That's... Kind of why the average Nord doesn't worship Daedra.
The average Nord whines about everything supernatural, including mer.

"Supernatural" isn't really a word you can apply to those things, since they're an observable part of the world that you'll be aware since around the time you can be aware of things and all. Besides that, Nords are very, very weird. Weird is the closest thing to supernatural in Elder Scrolls. Talos was weird, but he didn't much like weird. Of course, Talos was a Breton, so that doesn't really apply to the whole Nord thing.

Speaking of which, Barbas telling you that you shouldn't be surprised at a talking dog in Skyrim because "there are talking cats" is fucking stupid. No shit there are talking cats, here that's like saying "water is wet". Talking dogs you don't see.

Heh. Shit. I wonder if he says something different to a talking cat. I loved that quest.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11521 on: November 02, 2014, 09:19:41 pm »

Ninja-edit: Yeah basically. Ever seen a running vampire bat?
I have now.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11522 on: November 02, 2014, 09:39:12 pm »

Yeah I still agree that the "lol talking cats so anything goes" is silly.  I guess Bosmer/Argonians/Khajjit aren't even arguably supernatural, so the Nords are pretty much just xenophobic AND anti-magic/luddite.  The whole proud warrior thing is nice as it goes, but it's hard not to laugh as they wave their swords at dragons and get oppressed by the altmer they express contempt for.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11523 on: November 02, 2014, 09:52:53 pm »

I'm not sure why Skyrim quest items aren't weightless like in Oblivion... Being burdened against my consent is more immersion breaking than weightless objects.

They are, actually. The weight you see listed for them is the weight they have, but so long as they're a quest item, they don't affect your weight at all. As soon as they're no longer a quest item, their weight will be applied to yours. You should be able to see this in action with that Elder Scroll. If it's still a quest item, it should have no effect on your weight, but when you complete the quest and it becomes droppable, your carry weight should increase by 20.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 10:03:22 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11524 on: November 02, 2014, 10:01:44 pm »

Ninja-edit: Yeah basically. Ever seen a running vampire bat?
I have now.

Cool, right? I'm glad dragons wings were modeled after bats.

Spoiler: Running bat! (click to show/hide)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11525 on: November 02, 2014, 10:03:34 pm »

The whole proud warrior thing is nice as it goes, but it's hard not to laugh as they wave their swords at dragons and get oppressed by the altmer they express contempt for.

In my vanilla (360) game, I killed dragons with a sword. Of course, I was using Spellbreaker to block their breath attacks, then running up beside them once they landed, Shouting Tiid, and killing them with Dragonbane before they could escape.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11526 on: November 02, 2014, 10:09:02 pm »

Dragonrend is super handy.  I'm glad it exists, I just wish I got it before level 40-something.  Shooting dragons mid-flight gets frustrating!
My equipment is centered around boosting archery, but the last few dragons I've finished off with a dagger.  I'm still pretty fragile so it makes the victory more satisfying.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11527 on: November 02, 2014, 10:16:24 pm »

Why would you? Anatomically speaking, the bat-form of dragons is the only way for it to work. The bone structure just can't support the extra set of legs, it'd take away the necessary muscle system for flight. I like it a lot more this way, makes me feel like I'm fighting something actually real.

Apparently doesn't stop people from putting thought into it (Both images and sets of information from here):

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #11528 on: November 02, 2014, 11:05:30 pm »

Heh, 'Erector'.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #11529 on: November 02, 2014, 11:34:28 pm »

If you think about it, though, the quadrupedal dragon with additional wings is a bit odd when compared to existing creatures, above and beyond the usual questions of realism.  Specifically, outside of insects and the like, many animals in our limited experience on Earth alone are tetrapods (that is, four-limbed).  Whether mammals or avians, such animals capable of powered flight uniformly derive their flying abilities from their forelimbs, typically supplanted entirely by the necessary equipment to permit aerial locomotion.  Fish, while they don't have forelimbs, are the same way; their pectoral fins are modified to permit limited gliding.  In fact, the only animals you find where the wings developed in addition to the limbs are the aforementioned insects, but outside of the generally eclectic dragon designs in Legend of Dragoon, I don't believe I've ever seen an insectoid dragon. 
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 11:36:12 pm by Culise »

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11530 on: November 02, 2014, 11:36:45 pm »

And insects work that way simply because they don't have an internal skeletal structure; their frame can support all the extra limbs without placing too much stress on their system.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #11531 on: November 03, 2014, 12:08:44 am »

For instance, that additional ball-and-socket joint stuck directly into the back of the shoulder blade doesn't look too stable. That wing would probably dislocate fairly easily. Can't be certain, since the diagram is profile, but the sternum should be reinforced and most likely bifurcated for mounting the flying muscles.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11532 on: November 03, 2014, 12:26:14 am »

So, I'm gonna piss everyone off in December with screenshots of...Anime skyrim overhaul.

Yup...it literally turns Skyrim into an anime-style game.

NOT MY OVERHAUL. Though I'm planning on adding a few of my own mods I like to use...but that won't be many. He already got it 100% working, so I don't want to mess with it too much. However, only I have the full edition of it. The creator even lost his mod files (supposedly)...so likely I have the only full edition of it in THE WORLD :P. Though you can find an incomplete torrent of it if you are good at searching. It doesn't include the expansions he did for the DLC.

Definitely 18+ rated mod...and...expect lots of blood :P And mythical awesome graphics (literally the graphics are top notch, dunno how the guy did it...but it looks awesome)...and anime-like stuff...

And he pretty much took the japanese skyrim voice files (sound better than the english version to be honest...), and a bunch of anime mods...some other awesome mods that aren't available anymore...some stuff from nexus...got it all to work together in an awesome overhaul.

Why will this piss people off? Cause if I post it on any Skyrim group/forum/site...all the lore-nazis are gonna be so pissed :P I can't wait to post it in a skyrim facebook group and get 100s of comments of hate! :D IT WILL BE EPIC. That and anime chicks look young in any anime, so you have that group that will hate that aspect of it.

Probably won't release it in public right away. It isn't even my overhaul to begin with so I'll probably just end up teasing and pissing people off with WTF YOU DO TO SKYRIM screenshots...but the one he has uploaded isn't even the complete edition and its unfinished. So, I might end up just uploading it somewhere (maybe mega.co since that allows huge file uploads)...and release it as a semi-private mod.

Gameplay wise, it is actually amazing. I know he actually did his own custom mods for his overhaul...its not just LOL NUDITY! or anything like that. Its more focused on bloody violence. With a bunch of gameplay stuff. But I'll be letting my best friend decide what (if anything) else should be added...I won't even make that decision...otherwise I'll get carried away. I will however be (like I said) including 1-4 custom races on top of what is in the overhaul.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 12:29:38 am by Vendayn »
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #11533 on: November 03, 2014, 12:33:06 am »

I dunno about anime, but I've always wondered about a "low-res" pack, pretty much reducing all textures to a single solid color, but keeping some level of details so it doesn't look full-on "runescape." More like a 3D illustration, kinda Wind-Waker-esque.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11534 on: November 03, 2014, 12:33:45 am »

Like cell-shaded style?
Pages: 1 ... 767 768 [769] 770 771 ... 896