Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 777 778 [779] 780 781 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1558596 times)

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #11670 on: December 08, 2014, 11:19:38 pm »

I don't recognise the file directory so I can't look at the file myself.

While my first attempt would be to tell the program to ignore the error as an invalid Y axis seems like a rather minimal issue, here is a post guiding someone with the same error;

Needless to say, back up the "Skyrim Editor" file before changing it. Just make a copy and place it on your desktop, saves a lot of hassle if it doesn't work.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11671 on: December 13, 2014, 04:15:03 am »

Sigh. Things were going so well, my argonian mage was gradually working her way up to demigod levels of power, and then the game decided to bug out and make the battle for Windhelm uncompleteable. I make it all the way up to the point where Tullius and Ulfric do their little back and forth, but then when it's time to fight, it's just me, Ulfric and his bodyguard while the two imperials just stand their. Worse yet, they're both still marked as essential so there's absolutely no way I can finish the quest.

The wiki lists the bug, and claims that you can just remove their essential status with the console then kill them to complete the quest. Unfortunately for me, they both have the super-extra-essential status that can't be removed even with the console and I've had no luck getting rid of it. Seriously, what is the deal with that? It's been a pet peeve of mine since the game came out. Did your precious NPCs really need that extra layer of protection, Bethesda?

So, does anyone know how to fix this bug or at least how to remove their damned essential status? I've also tried reloading from a save before the battle began, but no luck.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11672 on: December 13, 2014, 05:14:53 am »

Sigh. Things were going so well, my argonian mage was gradually working her way up to demigod levels of power, and then the game decided to bug out and make the battle for Windhelm uncompleteable. I make it all the way up to the point where Tullius and Ulfric do their little back and forth, but then when it's time to fight, it's just me, Ulfric and his bodyguard while the two imperials just stand their. Worse yet, they're both still marked as essential so there's absolutely no way I can finish the quest.

The wiki lists the bug, and claims that you can just remove their essential status with the console then kill them to complete the quest. Unfortunately for me, they both have the super-extra-essential status that can't be removed even with the console and I've had no luck getting rid of it. Seriously, what is the deal with that? It's been a pet peeve of mine since the game came out. Did your precious NPCs really need that extra layer of protection, Bethesda?

So, does anyone know how to fix this bug or at least how to remove their damned essential status? I've also tried reloading from a save before the battle began, but no luck.

Does this apply to your game?
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11673 on: December 13, 2014, 05:04:09 pm »

Hmm... I haven't even heard of that quest until now. Then again this is only my second time going through the full Main quest. Too bad I don't have a save early enough to trigger the Season Unending quest, it sounds fun. I guess I'll just have to progress through the main quest and hope that fixes things.

I'd still like a mod or something that removes the completely unkillable NPCs, if anyone knows of anything like that.
                        - Random human lord

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11674 on: December 13, 2014, 08:12:10 pm »

Hmm... I haven't even heard of that quest until now. Then again this is only my second time going through the full Main quest. Too bad I don't have a save early enough to trigger the Season Unending quest, it sounds fun. I guess I'll just have to progress through the main quest and hope that fixes things.

I'd still like a mod or something that removes the completely unkillable NPCs, if anyone knows of anything like that.

Here you go. This applies to all NPCs, including followers.

Here's another that requires you to do a power attack on NPCs to properly kill them. Might be a bit more thorough then the first mod.

With the quests; there are two major quest lines in Skyrim. One is the Civil War quest line and the other is the Dragonborn quest line. If you have a save that takes place before the siege on Windhelm begins you can go and continue the Dragonborn quest line up until "Season Unending", as that quest is part of the Dragonborn quest line.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11675 on: December 13, 2014, 09:43:21 pm »

Here you go. This applies to all NPCs, including followers.

Here's another that requires you to do a power attack on NPCs to properly kill them. Might be a bit more thorough then the first mod.

With the quests; there are two major quest lines in Skyrim. One is the Civil War quest line and the other is the Dragonborn quest line. If you have a save that takes place before the siege on Windhelm begins you can go and continue the Dragonborn quest line up until "Season Unending", as that quest is part of the Dragonborn quest line.

"Season Unending" apparently only triggers if neither side in the civil war has a major advantage. Since the earliest save I have is just after I captured the last Stormcloak fort before heading to Windhelm, I don't have the option of going back to do the quest. Fortunately, capturing Odahviing seems to have solved the problem.

Judging by the comments on the first mod, it just seems to tag all NPCs as unessential, which I already have a bat file to do, and leaves all the extra-essential NPCs like Ulfric and Brynolf. The second shows a bit more promise, but it apparently doesn't handle everyone and has some bugs which can cause NPCs to be essential when they aren't supposed to be.

Mentioned in the comments for both mods is this: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/32598/?
It claims to let you kill both types of essential NPCs but requires the Dragonborn DLC, which I don't have.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 10:00:30 pm by nogoodnames »
                        - Random human lord

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11676 on: December 13, 2014, 10:26:14 pm »

From another look, and a brief test myself involving killing Jarl Balgruuf and Ulfric Stormcloak, try this;

Go to the "MyGames/Skyrim" folder. On Windows 7 this is located in "C:\Users\YourUserName\My Documents\My Games\Skyrim"

In this folder, open the file "Skyrim.ini" with notepad. (You might also want to right click the file and go to "properties". Check that the "Read Only" option is deselected and apply the change if it wasn't.

Scroll to the bottom of the document, add a space under the last entry and enter:

[GamePlay]
bEssentialTakeNoDamage=0

This is case sensitive and should allow essential NPCs to take damage and be killed.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11677 on: December 13, 2014, 10:43:04 pm »

Wow, I had tried that already, but the place that I learned it from didn't specify the directory, so I assumed skyrim.ini would be in the Steam folder, and when I couldn't find it I decided they meant skyrim_defaults.ini which obviously didn't work. Then a few minutes ago, before I saw your post, I was looking up mods and saw it mentioned again, this time with the directory. And it worked! I can finally kill every adult in Skyrim... except one. Brynjolf, that sleazy bastard, isn't just essential but actually completely invulnerable. Why? I have no idea, it's completely unnecessary and game breaking to have him that way. I can't even disable him through the console. My only option is to do "setav paralysis 1" and pretend he's dead. God dammit, he's the one I really wanted to kill.
                        - Random human lord

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11678 on: December 15, 2014, 02:38:46 pm »

If you want to learn how to add mods to skyrim go here:

http://wiki.step-project.com/Main_Page

Use 'skyrim mod organizer', not mod manager. Lots of other tools as well. This site has instructions on how to add 100+ mods to skyrim, plus add on packs to the basic STEP mod depending on what you want to do.

Mod Organizer: http://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:Mod_Organizer
Skyrim STEP instructions(100+ mods) : http://wiki.step-project.com/STEP:2.2.9
STEP Packs (more mods to add and instructions): http://forum.step-project.com/forum/55-packs

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #11679 on: December 15, 2014, 11:15:24 pm »

Uncle Sheogorath's Hints and Tips - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=15626

Oh man. That one's one of the best. It's hilarious.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11680 on: December 16, 2014, 01:08:01 am »

Well, finally fixed my Skyrim overhaul. Been working for over 30 hours now and my save went from 59 mb (lol I know) to a small, normal for my mod order, 11.5 mb.

I didn't want to reinstall ALL the mods or the game. So I just deleted all the scripts and put all the scripts of mods I use back. Some/couple/few/one of the scripts must have been bad and overloaded my game+save file. I know I'm missing a bunch of mods that require scripts...but whatever, if its not in my mod backup folder I probably didn't use it anyway. Also probably removed mods wrong a long time back before mod organizer and they were leftovers.

In any case...deleting scripts folder and putting scripts back of mods that are actually important to me lowered my save file by a lot lol.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11681 on: December 16, 2014, 09:57:40 am »

I am still on my first play-through for Skyrim.

I finally got around to tracking down the forsworn leader in Druadach Redoubt.  I run in with my big hitty-man character, (stealth is fun, but I was in a hurry, and my double-handed has hit 90, while my heavy armour is tricked out to 99).  I power attack the first forsworn I see with my ebony double-hander, when he looks at me, somewhat affronted, and asks me to "watch it".

Of course.  I helped Madanach escape from Cidnha mine.  And now, my prison friends were hanging out with my target, the Briarheart.  Awkward.

Needless to say, I slunk away.  Felt bad about killing a friend of my friends. 

ETA:  I overcame my reluctance and returned to the Redoubt.  I wound up pick-pocketing the Forsworn leader's briarheart.  I like a game where tearing a man's heart out is considered to be an act of stealth.  He dropped dead at the tempering table.  Another forsworn took his place almost immediately, standing on his corpse.  Guess they did not like him very much, anyway.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 10:14:23 am by Knick »
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11682 on: December 17, 2014, 07:43:42 pm »

I really wish there was a DRM-free release of Skyrim. Someday probably, and at least then all the DLC will be out. :)
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11683 on: December 17, 2014, 09:20:30 pm »

All the DLC is already out.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #11684 on: December 17, 2014, 10:01:50 pm »

It's highly unlikely there will ever be a legitimate non-Steam, PC version of Skyrim. Workshop integration is simply too important for allowing easy use of mods for them to ever separate from it.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Pages: 1 ... 777 778 [779] 780 781 ... 896