Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 38

Author Topic: Beginners' XXVII - Imperishable Night - Game Over!  (Read 176616 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Beginners' XXVII - Day 2 - Mountain of Faith
« Reply #270 on: September 24, 2011, 03:42:52 pm »

Powder Miner:
Nevermind that, the reason I kept on jumping was becaus I really didn't find anything that suspicious.
IronyOwl. I've only seen from you so far telling people to scumhunt, not actual pressing. Can you explain why you're simply standing back and yelling at people to press when you're not doing much of it yourself? Perhaps you're trying to look active. Can you explain?
Right now, I feel the thread is in need of IC direction more than it is my personal scumhunting. As a prime example of this, I can't really tell who's being scummy and who just doesn't know what they're doing, so trying to scumhunt them is of somewhat limited utility.

I believe I was told that I houldn;t back of from questioning someone just because another person had had the same question.
This does not mean "parrot someone else's questions." I'm generally satisfied that yours was different, or at least packaged differently, enough to slide by, but don't take this to mean that blindly mimicking others, intentionally or not, is productive. If you want to ask something, ask it, but make sure you want it because of pressure or data, not to look like you're doing stuff or because asking questions fills up the Scum Reveal Themselves Now meter.

So, on that note, what about my response to Mormota wasn't satisfactory to you? Why did you hide your complete lack of suspicions behind "oh I'm going after lurkers?"

ed boy:
The reason why I am voting for powder miner right now is because I am not happy with the quality of his scumhunting. He seems to be posting for the appearance rather than doing any actualy scumhunting. That vote is on him to pressure him to start doing it properly. It will stay there until he hunts enough to satisfy me, or I find someone else scummier. In terms of mislynch danger, the day ends of tuesday. That's over 72 hours, plenty of time for him to get his act together.
Pressure really only works if you remind them of it from time to time. Also, ultimatum pressure tends to be scummy, especially if you know the player in question might not be able to deliver.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Mormota

• Bay Watcher
  • Necron Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: September 24, 2011, 03:51:00 pm »

Having put my vote on Powder Miner to pressure him into scumhunting, I'm poking around at other people, hence my prodding at Jim.

I have said this once and I will say this again, to make it clearer, since you did not respond to it. Are you just going to sit on your vote not doing anything against Powder Miner at all, scum? You are trying to pressure someone into scumhunting but you are not actually scumhunting yourself. Are you going to keep asking more token questions, like what you did to Jim?
Avid Aurora player, Warhammer 40.000 fan, part-time writer and cursed game developer.
The only thing that happened in general was the death of 71% of the fort, and that wasn't really worth mentioning.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: September 24, 2011, 08:37:59 pm »

Because I started going after lurking because I didn;t really know what to do, I was ending up just waiting for something suspicious I could go for...

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: September 24, 2011, 08:43:14 pm »

Powder Miner:
Because I started going after lurking because I didn;t really know what to do, I was ending up just waiting for something suspicious I could go for...
But you said lurkers were your primary concern, not your primary concern for lack of anything better.

Also, you can't just answer the questions you like. In addition to wanting an answer to my other question, now I want to know why you ignored it the first time.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: September 24, 2011, 10:26:01 pm »

What question? I'm sure that I answered any question you asked me.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: September 24, 2011, 11:17:53 pm »

Shakerag. He's disappeared. I'm mostly pleased with what everybody's doing.

Mwah.  Love you too, Jim.  RL happened Friday (yeah, yeah, excuses, excuses), and I noted when I joined that weekends would be nights-only.  So, let's see what kind of catching up I have to do.

Hmm.  Dariush: Did Mindmaker really request a replacement or is he just not posting?  Prod requested if the latter.

I am so very sad that no one else has been drinking the same kool-aid as me.  So, everyone, Mindmaker:  Scum?  Newbie?  Other?  Am I really the only one who saw something queer there?   ???

@IronyOwl Okay, I suppose I should be polite and respond to your points.
-I think one of the posts that stood out for me about Mindmaker was ... um ... damn it, let me find it ... His eighth post, with the comment about "Day 1 has never been my strong suit. I can't come up with unique questions anymore... Tomorrow maybe."  Scumtell or not, it was still a humongous (and, imo, terrible) cop out to not be scumhunting.
-Yeah, I suppose I can see in hindsight that just dropping a shit-ton of analysis down and waiting to be patted on the back wasn't exactly accomplishing what I wanted (let alone much else).  Although, it seems like I may have difficulty putting the thumbscrews on him presently ...
-Mmmmmmyeahhhh.... I suppose I was waiting for something magical to happen with Mindmaker and everyone else would start looking over and wondering what was up there too, but, um ... yeah.  I definitely think I dropped the ball there because I was expecting ... something to happen (and not moving on in the meantime).
-Again ... I'd think that "lazy" or "busy" active lurking would consist more of shorter posts, deflecting responses until later, more .... obvious delaying tactics.  But he had a fair number of posts as compared to the other players, and (as far as I'm recalling right now) they weren't the kind of content nor length you'd expect from someone "lazy" or "busy". 
-I don't know if I can particularly describe any better to you than I already have about why I feel it was a scumwagon rather than a townwagon.  Based on his behavior patterns, it just seemed ... too odd to ignore. 
-Last two points: Duly noted.

Jim, a couple of questions.  Why, back near the beginning of the game, did you reply to mipe9 "You think we're [the ICs] town? Aww, it warms me up inside."  I would think that posting sarcasm would be ill advised, as that can be difficult to recognize in text ... Also, you were one of the people voting for mipe9.  Why did you decide to vote for him when you did?  What made you keep your vote on him for the rest of the day?

ed boy, as another voter of mipe9, what went through your head when you saw him flip town?  Do you feel you still stand behind your reasons for voting for him in the first place?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: September 24, 2011, 11:50:41 pm »

Powder Miner:
What question? I'm sure that I answered any question you asked me.

So, on that note, what about my response to Mormota wasn't satisfactory to you?

Also:
But you said lurkers were your primary concern, not your primary concern for lack of anything better.
This wasn't in the form of a question, but the assertion is that you're a liar, so you might want to respond to it.

Shakerag:

Mindmaker was obviously agitated, and I haven't really played with him much before, so it's hard to tell.

The rest is alright.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: September 25, 2011, 01:06:40 am »

Jim, a couple of questions.  Why, back near the beginning of the game, did you reply to mipe9 "You think we're [the ICs] town? Aww, it warms me up inside."  I would think that posting sarcasm would be ill advised, as that can be difficult to recognize in text ... Also, you were one of the people voting for mipe9.  Why did you decide to vote for him when you did?  What made you keep your vote on him for the rest of the day?

When you have trouble telling when I'm being sarcastic, you let me know.

I voted him because it was past the RVS and I voted my top suspect, which was him. At the time, he hadn't really been hunting, mostly just answering questions. My opinion of him did not improve after I had cast my vote. It became worse.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: September 25, 2011, 01:47:13 am »

Dariush: Did Mindmaker really request a replacement or is he just not posting?  Prod requested if the latter.
It looks like the former. I'll put up a notice.

Mormota

• Bay Watcher
  • Necron Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: September 25, 2011, 02:40:17 am »

I am so very sad that no one else has been drinking the same kool-aid as me.  So, everyone, Mindmaker:  Scum?  Newbie?  Other?  Am I really the only one who saw something queer there?   ???

An arrogant arse who can't be bothered to play. Impossible to tell if he's scum or newbie.
Avid Aurora player, Warhammer 40.000 fan, part-time writer and cursed game developer.
The only thing that happened in general was the death of 71% of the fort, and that wasn't really worth mentioning.

Mormota

• Bay Watcher
  • Necron Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Beginners' XXVII - Day 2 - Mountain of Faith (1 replacement needed!)
« Reply #280 on: September 25, 2011, 09:21:50 am »

Bump. Ed boy, are you going to post, or will you just sit there content with your vote, scum?

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: September 25, 2011, 01:26:23 pm »

ed boy:
The reason why I am voting for powder miner right now is because I am not happy with the quality of his scumhunting. He seems to be posting for the appearance rather than doing any actualy scumhunting. That vote is on him to pressure him to start doing it properly. It will stay there until he hunts enough to satisfy me, or I find someone else scummier. In terms of mislynch danger, the day ends of tuesday. That's over 72 hours, plenty of time for him to get his act together.
Pressure really only works if you remind them of it from time to time. Also, ultimatum pressure tends to be scummy, especially if you know the player in question might not be able to deliver.
I am reminding Powder Miner of this, and I will continue to do so while I continue to pressure him. I wouldn't really consider it ultimatum pressure, though - there's plenty to time left before the day's end, and if I'm not very confident in someone's scumminess, I'm going to vote extend.

You can't wait for the scum to reveal themselves. You need to go out and make them reveal themselves. Start picking apart what they do, and digging at their answers and their arguments.

Having put my vote on Powder Miner to pressure him into scumhunting, I'm poking around at other people, hence my prodding at Jim.
I have said this once and I will say this again, to make it clearer, since you did not respond to it. Are you just going to sit on your vote not doing anything against Powder Miner at all, scum? You are trying to pressure someone into scumhunting but you are not actually scumhunting yourself. Are you going to keep asking more token questions, like what you did to Jim?
I'm not sitting on my vote. I'm examining the scumhunting he's doing and pointing out the bits that dissatisfy me. Whenever he posts, I consider what he's doing and re-evaluate him.

As for asking token questions, that's a part of scumhunting. You can't scumhunt without them. You need to ask more in-depth questions, certainly, but before the in-depth ones come the token ones.

ed boy, as another voter of mipe9, what went through your head when you saw him flip town?  Do you feel you still stand behind your reasons for voting for him in the first place?
When mipe9 turned out to be town, I was surprised. I listed my reasons for voting him, and at the time I considered him the most scummy. I do stand by my reasons, because they were the best I had to go on at the time.

As for mindmaker, he hasn't posted enough for me to be able to form a strong opinion about him.

Jim Groovester, who's (apart from powder miner) scumhunting are you least satisfied with?

Shakerag. He's disappeared.

I'm mostly pleased with what everybody's doing.
What happened to your unhappiness here, or here, or here? I wouldn't call you 'mostly pleased' with everybody.

Bump. Ed boy, are you going to post, or will you just sit there content with your vote, scum?
The past 24 hours or so I've been moving into university accomodation and my participation has been limited, hence my lack of immediate responses to your posts. I'm all settled in now, so that won't be a problem.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: September 25, 2011, 03:42:42 pm »

What happened to your unhappiness here, or here, or here? I wouldn't call you 'mostly pleased' with everybody.

Most everybody I'm not yelling at is doing a decent job of scumhunting.

I don't understand why you care.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: September 25, 2011, 03:52:06 pm »

Most everybody I'm not yelling at is doing a decent job of scumhunting.

I don't understand why you care.
You seem unhappy at Powder miner, Mindmaker, and Shakerag. Of the six people other than you left in the game, that's half, significantly less than the 'everybody' you mentioned in the earlier post.

As for why I care, it's scumhunting. I'm looking for inconsistencies in what you're posting.

Mormota

• Bay Watcher
  • Necron Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: September 26, 2011, 10:02:02 am »

As for asking token questions, that's a part of scumhunting. You can't scumhunt without them. You need to ask more in-depth questions, certainly, but before the in-depth ones come the token ones.

We are in day 2. You had plenty of time to ask pointless questions day 1, you should have suspicions by now. Why aren't you asking those in-depth questions then?

Also, I'd like to point out that token question means a question asked for the sake of asking one.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 38