Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 26

Author Topic: Wild West Mafia - GAME OVER - Scum Win!  (Read 141401 times)

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
Re: Wild West Mafia - Day 2 [6/9] - You could use some coffins.
« Reply #210 on: October 16, 2011, 11:33:43 pm »

How have you not got it through your thick skull yet? I never went after Jim. Ever.

Not directly; you took a pot-shot at him, implied he was scum, and have backed off that stance as soon as it was challenged, using the convienent out of "I never said it, or voted him" as though that was proof you were just talking.  I don't like this "Hey, I'm just calling it like I see it" attitude you've got going on.  I'm not buying that your reasons for prodding and calling out people over minor details is as innocent as you claim, and I'm certainly not buying that your sneaky remarks about Jim were really just musings about his helping the new people and its impact.

Arathos: I find it hard to believe that you'd put a serious case on someone, with logic that I would've used had I noticed it, then backpedal because 'you're tired'.
Why aren't you trying to go after the person on the top of your list?

I didn't backpedal so much as realized I'd fucked my post up by not thoroughly re-reading it and making the correct adjustments before posting.  You'll note I feel it's down to you and him, and so I went after you both.

Why aren't you trying to go after the person on the top of your list?

I have been Orangebottle, and you've just helped me clear up my confusion.  Thank you, now hang.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 17, 2011, 12:03:52 am »

Mod: Votecount, please.

I'm not going to be able to do much for the next day or two - I've got a paper and a questionnaire to write, an exam to study for and a speech to prepare. At least it's fall break, so I don't have to worry about classes until Wednesday.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 17, 2011, 12:38:33 am »

This doesn't answer my question. Thank you for not answering my question.

I asked you what made you think he wasn't a complete noob. Instead you talk about your reasons for your vote. Conveniently you don't approach anywhere where it could be considered that you explained why you thought he could handle the pressure.

The fact that he didn't ask for a replacement the second he knew he was out of his league.

More mincing words.

If you thought it was a town strategy then you should have said that; you wouldn't want people to accuse you of scummy doubletalk, now would you? That we're having this conversation at all means you're lying or are incapable of detailing what you actually mean concerning anything, and I'm considerably more inclined to believe the former.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda. The only time I've seen it used was when I used it as scum. I was merely providing an example for the strategy.

Your answer that my answer was simply more detailed than NativeForeigner's is weaselly.
It's more detailed. Needlessly so.

Jim. You're ignoring a key piece of advice you've given me(and others) in the past. Back in BMXVI.
I'll point out that using every single post as evidence dilutes your case and will make it hard to convince other players with it. People have a hard time believing that large portions of a player's contributions are scummy. Focus your case on the most convincing arguments, stick to specific, demonstrative evidence, make sure you have it ready, but you don't necessarily need to quote or link it if it's apparent what you're talking. (billybobfred, take note, this applies to your most recent post as well.) If you can focus your attacks like that you'll be several times more effective at playing town.
I'd say it's not too far of a leap to say that using every single aspect of a person's post as evidence works the same way. Summarize your case on me in a few, easy to read sentences. As it is, it looks like you're just flinging shit in an attempt to get me to unvote shark.

I guess what I'm trying to say is:
You're picking on every little thing I say. You're going to have a hard time lynching me if you keep doing that.

Jim. I'm going to ask you something a certain lizard has asked me in the past. Am I voting for you?

This has nothing to do with anything. If your reasons are suspect I'm going to attack them no matter what your stance towards me is.

Is this supposed to placate me and get me off your tail? Shame on you for trying and thinking it would work if it was.

Nice dodging of my question while I'm at it.
It has something to do with your case. One of your points is that I'm calling you scum(which I'm not).

"Jim. I'm going to ask you something a certain lizard has asked me in the past. Am I voting for you?" Just because you don't vote someone doesn't mean you can't call them scummy.
Yes, but I haven't voted for him all game. I haven't even thrown an FoS his way. Let's face it: if Jim is scum, he's doing his job damn well and deserves to win.

Again, this has nothing to do with anything at all. You do not have to reciprocate my suspicion in order for me to suspect you.

How is this supposed to be an effective answer?
It's not an answer. Shark didn't ask me a question. It was a response. He was stating something about the question I posed at you.
Primarily, Orangebottle's reasons for attacking you are terrible. Secondarily, I don't think you're scum.
While my initial reasons may have been bad, my attack eventually lead to this. This is one of the strongest points of my argument against shark. If you're so sure Shark isn't scum, crush it. Crush it hard. Smash it until there's nothing left to smash. That will get me to unvote Shark, which is what you need to get me lynched. I have a feeling that that is exactly what you want, even though I'm town.

Not directly; you took a pot-shot at him, implied he was scum, and have backed off that stance as soon as it was challenged, using the convienent out of "I never said it, or voted him" as though that was proof you were just talking. I don't like this "Hey, I'm just calling it like I see it" attitude you've got going on. I'm not buying that your reasons for prodding and calling out people over minor details is as innocent as you claim, and I'm certainly not buying that your sneaky remarks about Jim were really just musings about his helping the new people and its impact.
Why do you think this? It's nigh-impossible to defend myself from baseless opinion, and that's exactly what you've just presented us with. Garbage. Now, why on earth would you want someone to be unable to defend themself?

I didn't backpedal so much as realized I'd fucked my post up by not thoroughly re-reading it and making the correct adjustments before posting.
You didn't backpedal so much as you backpedaled.
Oh, wait.
You voted for shark, and then immediately backed off when pressed by Jim about it. That's almost the definition of backpedaling, Arathos.

I have been Orangebottle, and you've just helped me clear up my confusion.  Thank you, now hang.
You think the choice is between A and B, yet you're totally disregarding C, D, and E. Native, Jim, and Imiknorris. Tell me, why could none of them be scum? Keep in mind that we may have a scum and an SK left. Lynching one won't stop the other. Lynching town may end the game. And, as I have said many times before: I. Am. Town.
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 17, 2011, 01:34:31 am »

As it is, it looks like you're just flinging shit in an attempt to get me to unvote shark.

What is this shit. What. Is. It. Why would Jim want that? There were two scum in this game. Two. One is dead, so there's one. So why would Jim chainsaw defend someone? Orangebottle, you're making things up, and that's not good.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 17, 2011, 01:49:16 am »

Jim. You're ignoring a key piece of advice you've given me(and others) in the past. Back in BMXVI.

Oh, is this what we're doing now? Using things I've said to attack and def-

Hypocrisy isn't a scumtell.

Oh, sorry. It appears one of my more useful quotes has interrupted me I was in the middle of typing this reply.

The purpose of the advice you're quoting is for new players to not get bogged down in pointless minutia that doesn't prove that their targets are scum, and instead to focus their attacks on actually useful pieces of evidence and useful answers to good questions.

I'm doing the same, of course. I'm trying to get satisfactory answers out of you on several issues, many of which I think have a strong bearing on your alignment, and I keep asking questions to get that. That this involves most of your posts is a natural consequence of the fact that you're not answering questions straightforwardly or to my satisfaction, requiring further and further questions that take more time and space in every post.

So while I thank you for your concern, I think you'll find that I'm breaking neither the spirit or the letter of my own advice, and that, in fact, I'm not being a hypocrite at all.

weasel weasel weasel weasel weasel weasel weasel weasel weasel weasel weasel

Okay, sure, sounds reasonable.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 17, 2011, 02:24:15 am »

weasel weasel weasel weasel weasel weasel weasel weasel weasel weasel weasel
herp derp herp derp herp derp herp derp herp derp herp derp herp
Oh, look, I ca-

No. Fuck this shit. There's simply no getting out of this one alive.

Jim: Okay. You're mostly right. My 'opinion' on you was made up on the spot to appease Shark. My reasons for voting him were terrible, but I could find literally nothing else to go on. I'm bad at distinguishing between newb town and newb scum. I was panicking while trying to get out from under you, mainly because I know this: no matter what alignment you are, when Jim Groovester starts tunneling you, there is no way to get out of it. Which is why, of course, I was looking for any way for me to get out of it.
Unvote, at least until I can determine if Shark is newb scum or newb town.

You know why I joined the last BM? Because my town game is fucking awful. Demonstrated here, and in Roguelike 3, and in the first BM I played in. I clearly need improvement.

But at the end of the day, I'm still town.

Arathos: If you're going to be really, really busy, at least have the decency to ask for a replacement now. Bad things happen when you don't. See: Flandre in BMXVI

If you need me, i'll be looking over Shark's day one play again, this time to determine which newb he is. Something I should've done from the beginning.
My Sig

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 17, 2011, 08:21:27 am »

Arathos: If you're going to be really, really busy, at least have the decency to ask for a replacement now. Bad things happen when you don't. See: Flandre in BMXVI

I'm always busy; I can typically fit in a good, solid post once a day, sometimes more (as evidenced by the fact I've been on you like white on rice all weekend, no?).  I've been told that's more than enough to participate and contribute; I don't intend to bail out at LYLO, regardless of how rough it gets.

I'm not holding this statement against you, btw; just saying not to worry.  I won't flake out on you guys.

I didn't backpedal so much as realized I'd fucked my post up by not thoroughly re-reading it and making the correct adjustments before posting.
You didn't backpedal so much as you backpedaled.
Oh, wait.
You voted for shark, and then immediately backed off when pressed by Jim about it. That's almost the definition of backpedaling, Arathos.

I never meant to vote for Shark in the first place; I'd said that, in typing that post, my vote had shifted about four times already as I caught up on the day.  I fucked up, and should have been more careful in proofreading.  I said that before, and if you don't like it as an answer, there's not much I can do about it.  It was a pretty stupid mistake to make, no arguments there.  That's why, when I unvoted, I made it CLEAR it was a mistake and I expected consequences.

You think the choice is between A and B, yet you're totally disregarding C, D, and E. Native, Jim, and Imiknorris. Tell me, why could none of them be scum? Keep in mind that we may have a scum and an SK left. Lynching one won't stop the other. Lynching town may end the game. And, as I have said many times before: I. Am. Town.

First off, I'm not disregarding anyone.  I don't like how little I'm hearing from Native and Imiknorris, but what I do hear from them seems Town.  Jim's active and looking Town (though Scum Jim does this too, it's usually possible to find a bad case if you look hard enough).

You seem like my best target; I'm not going to unvote you and attack someone else when I'm pretty sure you're scum, and you're acting scummy all the time anyway.

Oh, by the way, nice job throwing out that "What about the SK?!" line.  No, I don't want to mislynch town.  I also don't want someone to try and guilt trip me out of voting them by insisting they're town and this could be a big mistake.

While my initial reasons may have been bad, my attack eventually lead to this. This is one of the strongest points of my argument against shark. If you're so sure Shark isn't scum, crush it. Crush it hard. Smash it until there's nothing left to smash. That will get me to unvote Shark, which is what you need to get me lynched. I have a feeling that that is exactly what you want, even though I'm town.

This is bullshit, Orangebottle, and you know it.  The burden of proof is on you to prove he's scum, and the burden of proof is on himself to prove someone else is scum.  Reacting to Jim's suspicions by telling him to prove you're wrong about Shark is a distraction.

As it is, it looks like you're just flinging shit in an attempt to get me to unvote shark.

What is this shit. What. Is. It. Why would Jim want that? There were two scum in this game. Two. One is dead, so there's one. So why would Jim chainsaw defend someone? Orangebottle, you're making things up, and that's not good.

This.  If Jim's scum, one mislynch is as good as another.  This doesn't make any sense at all.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 17, 2011, 11:43:17 am »

I never meant to vote for Shark in the first place; I'd said that, in typing that post, my vote had shifted about four times already as I caught up on the day.  I fucked up, and should have been more careful in proofreading.  I said that before, and if you don't like it as an answer, there's not much I can do about it.  It was a pretty stupid mistake to make, no arguments there.  That's why, when I unvoted, I made it CLEAR it was a mistake and I expected consequences.
'kay. I understand now.

Oh, by the way, nice job throwing out that "What about the SK?!" line.  No, I don't want to mislynch town.  I also don't want someone to try and guilt trip me out of voting them by insisting they're town and this could be a big mistake.
It's not just a guilt trip. From my perspective, I know that I'm town and that one or more of you is town. It was foolish of me to try and use this, though.

This is bullshit, Orangebottle, and you know it.  The burden of proof is on you to prove he's scum, and the burden of proof is on himself to prove someone else is scum.  Reacting to Jim's suspicions by telling him to prove you're wrong about Shark is a distraction.
Sure is.

This.  If Jim's scum, one mislynch is as good as another.  This doesn't make any sense at all.
I'd point to this as why:
Answers to Imiknorris are underlined.
Jim: Probably town, although I might be thinking this just because he helped defend me.
But if this were the case, Jim would be attacking basically everyone in an attempt to get them off of Shark. So, I doubt it is.
A lot of the stuff I posted was just made-up shit to get Jim to go away.

My Sig

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 17, 2011, 11:44:41 am »

Let's see.
Spoiler: day one (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: day two (click to show/hide)
So the conclusion I draw from all this is...
I don't really know what's indicative of newscum and newtown.
What should I be looking for?
My Sig

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 17, 2011, 12:45:55 pm »

...Orangebottle. If you're town, then you shouldn't be doing crap like this. You know better.

Sure is.
Allow me to ask the question you should have assumed was asked - if it's a distraction, then why did you do it? And no, getting Jim off your case is not an acceptable answer.

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 17, 2011, 12:50:26 pm »

...Orangebottle. If you're town, then you shouldn't be doing crap like this. You know better.
Yeah. My town play's pretty awful. I deserve this.

[quote[
Sure is.
Allow me to ask the question you should have assumed was asked - if it's a distraction, then why did you do it? And no, getting Jim off your case is not an acceptable answer.
[/quote]
Why else would I be using a distraction? The point of a distraction is to distract somebody. In this case I was trying to distract Jim so he'd get off my case. I fail to see how that's an unacceptable answer.
My Sig

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 17, 2011, 12:51:20 pm »

EBWODP:
Sure is.
Why else would I be using a distraction? The point of a distraction is to distract somebody. In this case I was trying to distract Jim so he'd get off my case. I fail to see how that's an unacceptable answer.
Fixed a quoting error.
My Sig

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 17, 2011, 01:07:54 pm »

Because town's primary goal is scumicide, not individual survival? I know that if Jim were tunneling me, I'd be trying to find a legitimate method to refute his arguments. If I couldn't and he rallied the town to lynch me, then I would

a) deserve it for having such a piss-poor defense that he/I got more people to vote me,
b) not terribly mind because mistakes happen, and mislynches are unfortunate but not game-breaking, unless you want to use Shark's "but what if we're actually at MyLo?" defense that you already shot full of holes.

Quite simply, you're not approaching this with a town mentality, and trying to bullshit your way out of a lynch is borderline obvscumming.

Shark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 17, 2011, 02:13:49 pm »

I've been taking a good look at these posts and i've come to a conclusion.

Orangebottle, I freaked out when you started pressuring me. However, that doesn't mean I was going to run away and ask for someone else to bail me out by replacing me. And you just kept going.

But if this were the case, Jim would be attacking basically everyone in an attempt to get them off of Shark. So, I doubt it is.

Then you admit you made up a lot of this stuff, which consists of several long posts of bull, besides when you chewed up my Mylo argument, that argument was pretty bad. However, in the end, you did this just so you could survive because you're scared of Jim. You went after someone, me, who you later admit you had terrible reasons for voting. You jumped on me just so you wouldn't die, and apparently according to your recent posts you never actually thought I was scum, you made that up.

You did all of this just to survive.

Orangebottle.

Real dorf doctors wash with water AND magma. The resulting burning cauterizes the wound, and the obsidian that forms covers the wound so it can heal.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 17, 2011, 02:25:03 pm »

Shark, you're parroting me. I'd like it if you had more behind your vote.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 26