Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [Z]ap Rod of Polymorf: Dwarf  (Read 1498 times)

Bishop36

• Bay Watcher
  • It is known.
    • View Profile
[Z]ap Rod of Polymorf: Dwarf
« on: October 05, 2011, 08:28:45 am »

Hello everyone! I just wanted to share the story of my brothers transformation into a dwarf. It started about a year and a half ago ,a little while after I started playing DF. Me and my brother get together every few months to play videogames and catch up and every time for about a year I had tried to tell my brother about Dwarf Fortress because I was sure he would like it. I never could catch his attention with it though because of how hard it is to put how awesome it is into words, and the one time he wanted to see it I made the mistake of running vanila. I forgot how little sense ASCII makes to untrained eyes.

Anyways after about a year of that nonsense I decided to force him into a crash course on DF, it was for his own good. I made him watch (and collaborate) as I played a fortress,  this time with Genesis (praise be to Deon!), for 5 years while I explained everything starting with a 15 minute tutorial on what he was looking at. After the first 5 minutes of gameplay (I had already explained material properties and combat) he was hooked.

This is the part that gets me all teary eyed. After a few months I went to visit him again, I had totaly forgotten about showing him the game. The first thing he says is "come look at my fort!". I was expecting something akin to my first forts. What I saw amazed me, it was a dwaven metropolis second only to the dwarfiest of mega projects. Now he has the benefit of having a $2300 liquid cooled demon to run this on. His population was just under 400 and it had been running for 230 years. It was his first fort. He had 150 masterpiece steel (everything except engravings and random crap was master) clad *weapon*masters.
"Things that make noise should never be sold to small children. Only adults can handle that responsibility."

-Justin from Left-Hand Toons

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
Re: [Z]ap Rod of Polymorf: Dwarf
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 08:34:43 am »

Wow, 230 years? :o Awesome... Can just imagine the number of stories that would've formed in that time.
But how did he manage this on his very first fort? Has he just walled up and ignored the world, or has he experienced true Fun?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Bishop36

• Bay Watcher
  • It is known.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 09:01:02 am »

(my phone sucks so I have to split this up) His embark was 6x6 and his fort was massive. It had a massive obsidian caster for crafts and was carved out of a dwarf made obsidian mountain with a wall around it.  Notable features include a second walled in section seperate from the main fort. It was self sufficient and was a cast obsidian ziggurat with a red steel altar (just a construct square of red steel with a red steel altar of war on it) crowning it. The 50 chosen had all the artifact armor/weapons and the rest master red steel. They lived inside the ziggurat and every one was a tried and true hero of the most badass sort (and they had to be steel dwarves). Underneath was a massive catacomb to all the fallen chosen. They made their own food/armor/weapons and the weapons to make the red steel. Every soldier gets burried with his gear.

The size and scope of his obsidian casting ability (lots of infrastructure) was rival to many mega project alone, (he later told me my description of pumps sucked and he absorbed everything on the wiki)
"Things that make noise should never be sold to small children. Only adults can handle that responsibility."

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 09:02:33 am »

lol.
congrats, now introduce him to the fourms.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 09:04:39 am »

Pics or it didn't happen!
Also i totally have to steel that redsteel ziggurat, for my next fort, it sounds very nice.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Bishop36

• Bay Watcher
  • It is known.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 09:32:32 am »

(sorry there is just so much to tell about, I'll try to keep this as organized and ramble-free as I can)

To explain a bit about how he knows so much, that five year fort I made him sit through took us 4 days and I explained everything. Also he tore apart the wiki shortly after starting. My most pressing advice was to "be very carefull when you start to get deep" I told him about the magma sea but not about the carnival at all. He is scared to death of whats down there so he only has a 8X8 shaft for pumps and magma. He has indeed had near fort ending experiences, and the dead dwarves list is so absudly long. He is at war with everything.

The story of why he is at war with the elves is of particular note. The thing that made him build a trading post (I don't know how far into the fort, my guess is no more than a few years) was a legendary metalcrafter from a mood. So he quickly made gold into bars and bars into crafts. The first caravan to arive was the (I forget the name) df like ones. He wanted to make a good impression on the elves so he just plain tried to give them bins of high quality gold crafts. Well after some rude remarks about the wooden bins he decided elves would be killed on sight in every fort he makes (I had forgoten to warn him about elves... Oh well he figured it out)

Bishop36

• Bay Watcher
  • It is known.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 10:21:22 am »

I will try to get SC of it, and a save (if you dare try and load it). The best I can do for now is describe (sorry I can't prove it, but I can't really picture someone pathetic enough to make this up.)

Here is some more detail though, the fort he is in now is the 5th fort. I tried to explain how you build a temporary work camp to keep your dwarves safe and happy while you built your main fort but he turned it into build a different fort every time you realize how much better it can be (and need more space, think hermit crab shells). So I guess his obsidian fort isn't really his first.

I wish I could have seen his first few but the obsidian factory (mostly magma storage) is where they used to be. The obsidian one looks like half a beehive sticking from the ground. It was either 12 or 15 z above ground. It is stacked octagons (he playes a lot of civ 5) the top is the Kings quarters it has a very un-dwarfy 12 clear glass windows (3 on every major wall, it isn't a perfect octogon) and 5 of the levels is a solid sungold spire.

Surounding the main "hive" between it and the wall is a cast obsidian hospital ( 3 z levels each floor like 6x10 excluding stairwell, top floor is a few medical training buildings) It is pressed right up against the side. There is a main entrance into the hive and 2 smaller outside leading from the  gates. Ground floor is storage, second is beds and tables. I am really not doing any of this justice. Oh also my brother is an engineer.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 07:43:23 pm »

Wow. That is incredible.

He's and engineer? I hope he's using RL to inspire DF and not the other way around...

(Oh, and "polymorf" is spelled with a ph, in case that wasn't a spelling pun.)
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 01:11:35 am »

Pholymorf dwarph? :ph
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 02:03:33 am »

lol.

He'll hit the ground running.
One of us! One of us! One of us! One of us! One of us! etc
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011, 01:12:20 pm »

lol.

He'll hit the ground running.
One of us! One of us! One of us! One of us! One of us! etc
Our name is Dwarf legion, for we are many.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!