Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 221

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress meets The Outer Wilds? "Ultima Ratio Regum", v0.10.1 out Feb 2023  (Read 596211 times)

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
Re: Ultima Ratio Regum - a 'strategy roguelike' in the making...
« Reply #645 on: June 07, 2012, 10:39:41 am »

I support the pro-realism movement. And ... ASCII Mount & Blade? My body is ready.

Low-fantasy and reasonably realistic settings are my favorite.
Even if a "realism mode" doesn't become part of the vanilla game, I'm sure that some modder(s) (most likely from these forums) will make it happen.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: June 07, 2012, 11:31:48 am »

I support the pro-realism movement. And ... ASCII Mount & Blade? My body is ready.

Low-fantasy and reasonably realistic settings are my favorite.
Even if a "realism mode" doesn't become part of the vanilla game, I'm sure that some modder(s) (most likely from these forums) will make it happen.
The dev has already said that he does not intend to put any effort into making the game moddable. It's somewhere in this thread.

edit: here it is :
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: June 07, 2012, 01:06:29 pm »

Curses. All I remembered was someone mentioning modding somewhere in the beginning, and I assumed that it would be there.  :P

FlyingIcarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: June 07, 2012, 01:13:39 pm »

Ah well, but do notice that he said he is keen to take suggestions from others. Maybe a realistic mode could be a suggestion taken.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: June 08, 2012, 10:37:01 pm »

An all-human mode would be nice. Until the game develops enough that is.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: June 08, 2012, 10:52:16 pm »

So I saw this thread months ago.  Then I found out about Ultima Online.  Now every time someone mentions it, I think about this thread.  How similar are they?

Also what is this?  I know there's an OP but it's quite a long thread and things have surely changed since then.  So, what do?

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
  • Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #651 on: June 09, 2012, 06:16:53 am »

a subset of the undead, which is a kind of walking siege weapon.

Kamikaze zombies?  :D

Good guess, but nope!

Great, thanks for the response!
Anyways, I have a question on recruiting; will I be able to send out a few of my men, or devote a few men to go out and recruit soldiers instead of me doing it directly? In such a way that I could tell men to recruit X amount of spearmen from X village?

Secondly, will you be able to encamp somewhere, and fortify it? Like, say I have a large group of men camped in some forest, will I be able to make them build up dirt walls and palisades, set up watchtowers and tents, and so on? It'd be interesting to have a base where I can train recruits or build up reserves while I go on marauding.

EDIT: Ah, I should've read more of the thread before posting. Found the answers there. :p

Yes, definitely; and various factors would determine how successful they were. You will be able to set up camp somewhere with tents, defenses etc, but in a much more 'streamlined' system than DF - which is to say, building will be fairly simple, and just have a few resource requirements and some people to stick on it. Even though traps and barricades and things don't yet exist, I've actually just been putting in a little bit of future support for them today.

Will there be things like poisons in the game? I'd hope for the standard things that are more common, like numbness, dizzyness, and vomiting from regular things (and not just "you slowly lose health and get weaker") to extremely rare, but insane poisons (that you can utilize) that do things like making your eyes bleed, your limbs changing to stone or such (which would be interesting, harder to destroy, but it encumbers you and you can't use it very well, with a cure obviously) or even turning you slowly into some kind of abomination/other species. All of these things would be very interesting, I'd hope to see something like them (like the poisons of a demon commander or something.)

Yes, absolutely. One or two creatures have poisonous attacks, one or two have poisonous/toxic blood, and you'll also be able to buy/create various poisons and similar. Demons will often have poisons available, and a few uniques/unusual creatures/characters will have some special effects too. Long-term, though! I'd also like to allow you to dip weapons in poison and similar, or dip arrows, etc.

I'm glad you liked the examining sounds idea :) Most games give the sounds as a message and if the player doesn't care about the sounds at that moment (if he is fightining for example) it's just clutter. It would also make lore skills more essential since players can recognize the sound creatures make.

By the way, you are building a very good foundation for the game. UI is very neat and all these things like view options doesn't even clutter the screen. I don't know how you did all this without cluttering the screen. Maybe I just have low UI standarts after all the time I spent playing DF :P

Will there be things like poisons in the game? I'd hope for the standard things that are more common, like numbness, dizzyness, and vomiting from regular things (and not just "you slowly lose health and get weaker") to extremely rare, but insane poisons (that you can utilize) that do things like making your eyes bleed, your limbs changing to stone or such (which would be interesting, harder to destroy, but it encumbers you and you can't use it very well, with a cure obviously) or even turning you slowly into some kind of abomination/other species. All of these things would be very interesting, I'd hope to see something like them (like the poisons of a demon commander or something.)

I like the limbs changing into stone idea. Imagine playing as a hand-to-hand character who drinks potions to turn his hands to stone... KICKASS!

I really like the idea of recognizing the sounds creatures make. That's an interesting one - I'll have to think over how that would work. Haha, thanks a lot re: the UI :)! I'm currently wondering if I need to add a second (small) sidebar to the right of the screen during normal gameplay to incorporate a few other things, but I'm not sure about that yet. As for petrification... time will tell!

[Lots of realism questions]:

Well, there's currently two options in the world generation screen called 'Legendary Creatures' and 'Intelligent Creatures'. The former increase Dragons, Hydrae etc and the latter Cyclopes, Minotaurs, etc (and both from 'None' to 'Abundant'), so if you want, you can set both to 'None'. Even on Abundant, they are still pretty rare, as the idea is that their existence is largely unknown and they have to be sought out. So, if you set both to None, then you'll get realism (as Demonic/Undeads will also be reduced to 0), but anything above the 'None' settings will allow them to be generated. Additionally, the age of the world (from 'Nascent' to 'Ancient') will also have an effect; brand new worlds will have more demonic creatures, for instance, while old worlds will have more history and therefore more undead forces. But, again, setting those to 0 will eliminate them, if you'd prefer, but I'll definitely keep the mythology generations around!

So I saw this thread months ago.  Then I found out about Ultima Online.  Now every time someone mentions it, I think about this thread.  How similar are they?

Also what is this?  I know there's an OP but it's quite a long thread and things have surely changed since then.  So, what do?

Well, I've never played Ultima Online, so as far as I know, nothing like it. I believe UO has a lot of magic and a ton of weird creatures, while I have almost no magic (or simply no magic at all, which I'm leaning towards...) and few creatures, and those can be reduced to 0 if you'd prefer. Well, for an update, I'd check the blog; I'm currently pushing for 0.0.1 by the end of this month, which is mostly a UI/world generation showcase with a little bit of combat, and some general mechanics (like moving, climbing, swimming, etc).
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 06:19:20 am by Ultima Ratio Regum »

FlyingIcarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: June 09, 2012, 01:44:29 pm »

Well, there's currently two options in the world generation screen called 'Legendary Creatures' and 'Intelligent Creatures'. The former increase Dragons, Hydrae etc and the latter Cyclopes, Minotaurs, etc (and both from 'None' to 'Abundant'), so if you want, you can set both to 'None'. Even on Abundant, they are still pretty rare, as the idea is that their existence is largely unknown and they have to be sought out. So, if you set both to None, then you'll get realism (as Demonic/Undeads will also be reduced to 0), but anything above the 'None' settings will allow them to be generated. Additionally, the age of the world (from 'Nascent' to 'Ancient') will also have an effect; brand new worlds will have more demonic creatures, for instance, while old worlds will have more history and therefore more undead forces. But, again, setting those to 0 will eliminate them, if you'd prefer, but I'll definitely keep the mythology generations around!

Will there also be options for magic like this?

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #653 on: June 09, 2012, 02:26:49 pm »

Will there also be options for magic like this?

If magic even makes it into the game at all, yes :).

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #654 on: June 11, 2012, 07:32:47 am »

Well, here's the longest development blog entry to date, including a ton of stuff on trees, climbing, combat, and that donate button people seem to want (with a massive disclaimer :) ). I quite liked doing a longer blog entry after a fortnight rather than a weekly one - what do people think? Anyway, enjoy, spread the word, etc!

http://www.ultimaratioregum.co.uk/game/2012/06/11/climbing-fighting-and-trees/

Dead Pool

• Bay Watcher
  • BOO-YAA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: June 11, 2012, 11:00:53 am »

Holy [CENSORED], how did I never see this?
Deadpool is comin' for ya.

WraithLord24

• Bay Watcher
  • I appear then disappear without a trace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: June 11, 2012, 04:29:10 pm »

This game is Moving along great I wish I had some money to donate but I dont. :'(
So all I can say is that when its first released I'll be downloading it in three seconds after Im aware its up.
Are you blind? :P
Im a Lurker I tend to disappear dont just assume im totally gone cause Ill then pop up at odd times.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: June 11, 2012, 05:28:08 pm »

I like the trees and climbing very much, although the precise climbing mechanics were a little hard to follow.

Three questions though:

1)Will the would you make weapons out of have an impact on it's properties? For example a Yew longbow versus a pine or Oak longbow.
2) Will locally available tress affect a cultures weapon choices? For example if there are lots of oak nearby but no yew they might tend toward shields, shillelaghs and quarterstaffs but not use longbows as heavily?
3)What affects climbing speed?

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #658 on: June 11, 2012, 06:26:59 pm »

My thanks for the implied positive reception of what I've got on URR so far!

This game is Moving along great I wish I had some money to donate but I dont. :'(
So all I can say is that when its first released I'll be downloading it in three seconds after Im aware its up.
Are you blind? :P

Haha, thanks for the thought anyway :). I will be timing that three seconds, just so you know.

I like the trees and climbing very much, although the precise climbing mechanics were a little hard to follow.

Three questions though:

1)Will the would you make weapons out of have an impact on it's properties? For example a Yew longbow versus a pine or Oak longbow.
2) Will locally available tress affect a cultures weapon choices? For example if there are lots of oak nearby but no yew they might tend toward shields, shillelaghs and quarterstaffs but not use longbows as heavily?
3)What affects climbing speed?

I can guarantee (and this isn't just me!) that they are very obvious and logical in-game; I've had a friend play it and they took to it very quickly. As for the questions:

1) Yes, definitely, different woods and metals have different properties (at the moment, not many, but more come the future...)
2) Interesting idea... I'll have to think about that one, but I suppose the answer would be yes!
3) You, i.e. a human, move one square up/down/left/right/whatever per turn. Other creatures will be faster, slower, etc.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: June 11, 2012, 07:26:21 pm »

So me (a human) would climb as fast I can walk? This seems odd to me. I know I can't climb a ladder as fast I can walk an equivalent distance, and presumably cliffs and dragon legs are harder to climb than a wooden ladder.

I agree that the climbing mechanics are probably very intuitive, I just couldn't follow them in blog form.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 221