Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 221

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress meets The Outer Wilds? "Ultima Ratio Regum", v0.10.1 out Feb 2023  (Read 596280 times)

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ultima Ratio Regum - a 'strategy roguelike' (v 0.1.0 finally released)
« Reply #1065 on: November 22, 2012, 01:20:55 pm »

So I was playing Kingdom of Loathing and it hit me: Will there be a chance to fumble weaponry you're not skilled with? Like if you're proficient with a smaller blade such as a dagger or short sword, and in the thick of things pick up a halberd, will you be easier to disarm/accidentally drop the weapon/have it slip out of your hands?

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
  • Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #1066 on: November 22, 2012, 07:42:07 pm »

URR, why are you always releasing right after I go away from home+internet? Any hope for a Linux version?

For the elephant, that's all good that you have a rider, but where do you put your four archers/javelins:P
Clearly you must tie one to each leg.
Maybe you have bigger elephants for that?
---

So if you are going to implement a system of being able to see each turn and have units move simultaneously (like DF Fortress mode as opposed to adventure mode) how are you going to handle projectiles? Will you/NPC's be able to lead on targets? How will it handle misses and especially interception (or interception of missed shot :P ) will be interesting to see how due to characters having different heights so a missed shot at the guy riding an elephant probably shouldn't hit the dwarf standing next to/in front of the elephant. Will there be calculations on the projectiles to determine height and velocity of the projectile so it can calculate where and how hard it will hit what it hits.

Will you be able to get volley fire on archers to barrage an area as opposed to targeting individuals? Same for siege weapons?

Will you ban me from this thread for asking too many questions? Will that affect my free speech? Why does no-one like me?

@ varsovie - ah, my apologies! We might get a Linux version this time, but it might be a couple of weeks after the PC version. Have the suggestions for getting it to work on Linux proven at all successful? I'll be trying to get a Linux build on a flatmate's laptop, but he's so rarely around at the moment it's tricky to coordinate.

As for archers on elephants, good point: you could have something like

EaEE
Ea@E
EaEE

so you have a long carrier thing on the elephant with three archers in a line. I'm glad that was suggested - I think that sounds like a great idea.

The turn system is made up of a huge number of tiny turns - a normal human step might take 20 turns, while an arrow flying one square will take only one turn. Anything that happens on turns between your turns will be shown. Good question about target lead! I hadn't even considered that. I don't have an immediate solution, but I wager most people will be moving so much slower than arrows and projectiles that it'll rarely be a problem, at least for arrows and bullets. Re: misses, if someone misses you it'll note it with a message, and similarly for if you miss somebody else. Chances are, though, given that arrows will move one or two squares per turn, but as I say humans have maybe 10/15 between moves, I don't think leading to anticipate for motion will be that important. Maybe not 100% realistic, but gameplay-wise I think it would be better if that actually wasn't an issue and you didn't have to anticipate leading.

How will trampling work? If you kill a mount, will their speed and height affect what injuries the rider will incur? Caltrops and bolas for everybody!

Will someone of high enough skill be able to swat or, at a very high skill level, catch small projectiles midflight? Will you be able to camouflage units and pop out of your hidey holes to assault the unsuspecting? If you've seen, I think it's the remake of Dune, think how the Fremen leap out of the sand to assault, was it Harkonnen's dudes? Been a while since I've seen it. If you haven't seen it, you should. And also use the Japanese Spider Holes circa World War II for reference.

Also, will we be able to dig trenches to impede cavalry? If I remember correctly, during a Roman siege of a Gaulish city they dug two trenches separated just enough so that horses wouldn't be able to leap over both, and the middle strip was too thin to land on. If traps are indeed implemented, you know what scratch all that because if I recall you're keeping that under wraps anyways.

Definitely; at some point I need to program in fall damage as well. In this case, I think one could get some wonderfully violent animations of people and armour going flying from the top of an elephant that's been tripped up, for instance!

Deflect, possibly, catch, I don't think so. You can block arrows I think like anything else, but it'll be far harder than incoming hand-held weapons, I think. Camouflage is a very interesting one - I'll have to think about that, and how that could work with stealth as an alternative, or as an additional. Trenches are definitely on the list, along with various kinds of barricades, and other traps. Traps that the player/armies can lay are distinct from the traps that might be found in temples and tombs; I haven't yet come up with a list, but trenches are definitely one. Again, I'm not sure how much will be abstracted, and how much comes actually down to ordering specific troops to do it; I don't want to end up with duplicating intricate construction mechanics, naturally, but you'll probably just be able to order troops to do it as you would in, say, age of empires - direct some to a structure, and assuming you have the resources, they will just build it as a single block, not as components. Traps in dungeons I'm going to keep under wraps, but I'll be covering warfare/battle traps when we get there!

What I meant by more advanced was choosing how you parry, or block, or counter attack.
In DF and most other games it is a reactionary thing that you have no control over, like your character automatically swats the opponent if the have high enough skill(or they are lucky).
We could get a bonus turn maybe.

Got it. I like Leatra's idea - if you get a parry in, then you get a turn before your next turn, but one where you can only attempt a set of countermoves! Some would involve your weapon, some involve your shield, or some might be purely hand-to-hand/physical.

So I was playing Kingdom of Loathing and it hit me: Will there be a chance to fumble weaponry you're not skilled with? Like if you're proficient with a smaller blade such as a dagger or short sword, and in the thick of things pick up a halberd, will you be easier to disarm/accidentally drop the weapon/have it slip out of your hands?

That's a nice idea. I suppose it would be mostly governed by Dexterity, and perhaps for each skill you have unlocked in a tree for a particular kind of weapon reduces the chance of disarm? I'm also really interested in the idea of you getting used to specific weapons - i.e. one specific sword, or one specific axe - and gradually gaining bonuses with that exact weapon. This could similarly tie in here - the more you use a particular weapon, the harder it also becomes to disarm.

Today, maybe forty or fifty bugs were squashed, though a good five or six new ones popped up in the process. I think I reached the human limit for constant coding today - a solid 10 hours - and the list of things to fix is now very, very short. I'm busy tomorrow, but I'm confident about finishing things off on Saturday & Sunday.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 07:43:50 pm by Ultima Ratio Regum »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: November 23, 2012, 12:38:45 pm »

Awesome. Looking forward to seeing the next version!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: November 24, 2012, 11:10:43 am »

That's a nice idea. I suppose it would be mostly governed by Dexterity, and perhaps for each skill you have unlocked in a tree for a particular kind of weapon reduces the chance of disarm? I'm also really interested in the idea of you getting used to specific weapons - i.e. one specific sword, or one specific axe - and gradually gaining bonuses with that exact weapon. This could similarly tie in here - the more you use a particular weapon, the harder it also becomes to disarm.
and then give it a name?  ;)
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #1069 on: November 26, 2012, 10:23:48 am »

Awesome. Looking forward to seeing the next version!

Glad to hear it! :)

and then give it a name?  ;)

Oh yes! Or maybe a system that names it for you, like nicknames given to the player...

In the mean time, I'm doing the finishing touches on the 0.2 release now. Hoping to release in 2/3 hours!

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: November 26, 2012, 10:42:17 am »

Jolly excited to see the new version, good luck getting it out. The guidebook looks fantastic, by the way. I especially like the 'teaser graphics' for the shark ...  :D

maki32

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: November 26, 2012, 10:58:07 am »

Hey Ultima! In the new version, the world will generate cities and so on? I'm amazed with the "History" feature of all the objects, I hope this work correctly in a near future!

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: November 26, 2012, 12:54:24 pm »

Jolly excited to see the new version, good luck getting it out. The guidebook looks fantastic, by the way. I especially like the 'teaser graphics' for the shark ...  :D

Yeah, even the guidebook looks amazing. It's like a teaser list of features to be added :D

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #1073 on: November 26, 2012, 01:24:01 pm »

Haha, excellent! Yes, sharks will sometimes appear around ships, I wager...

Hey Ultima! In the new version, the world will generate cities and so on? I'm amazed with the "History" feature of all the objects, I hope this work correctly in a near future!

Afraid not, far from it. The version that has JUST BEEN RELEASED (zomg - see bottom of this message) doesn't, then the next version is history generation, then cities will be some way after that. It's a hefty process, but one I have to start from the ground up :).

Yeah, even the guidebook looks amazing. It's like a teaser list of features to be added :D

And some of those features YOU CAN NOW PLAY, because 0.2.0 is out! I've also just updated the front page of this thread with new screenshots...

http://www.ultimaratioregum.co.uk/game/2012/11/26/version-0-2-released/

fred1248

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ultima Ratio Regum - strategy/roguelike/4x (v 0.2.0 released 26/11/2012!)
« Reply #1074 on: November 26, 2012, 01:56:02 pm »

I can't wait to see the naval combat.
How do you deliberately crutch a dwarf who seems to have no urge to go to the hospital and be diagnosed with "walklessness?"
Break his other leg.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #1075 on: November 26, 2012, 02:31:10 pm »

I can't wait to see the naval combat.

Let me say without a moment's hesitation - nor can I! It'll be a while, though...

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #1076 on: November 26, 2012, 04:21:53 pm »

Already working on fixes for the few tiny bugs people have found. Hope to have 0.2.1 out in a couple of days!

Intrinsic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: November 26, 2012, 04:28:42 pm »

Sweet i can stop pressing F5 now! I just installed Baldur's Gate again though lol.
Start Duelyst with a bonus 100gold, use referral code: Buttfungus
Enter during signup or ingame under Settings.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #1078 on: November 26, 2012, 04:29:09 pm »

Sweet i can stop pressing F5 now! I just installed Baldur's Gate again though lol.

Pffftt! You haven't seen the two features I've kept hidden yet :)

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: November 26, 2012, 04:36:04 pm »

This different worlds with optional moons idea is AWESOME!

Will the moons have different effects somehow? A cult that worships the moon and stuff like that? I wish we had lycanthropy. The moon would work in an awesome way with lycanthropy.

BTW, main menu is really neat, like everything else. Game doesn't even feel like alpha because of the neatness of UI :D
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 221