Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 221

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress meets The Outer Wilds? "Ultima Ratio Regum", v0.10.1 out Feb 2023  (Read 598253 times)

Shriek

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Ultima Ratio Regum - roguelike/Borges/Eco, v0.5 released!
« Reply #2010 on: April 21, 2014, 01:34:27 am »

I was playing 0.51 and I got a crash when I was walking around a volcano. The output log is here:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You may want to look into it.

Also, I should really have sail this earlier, but your game is amazing. And I, for one, am actually more intersted in it after the focus shift. I've always wanted to play a roguelike that focuses on exploration.  :)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: April 21, 2014, 03:02:34 am »

line 176874

I bet you're damn good at regular expressions :P

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
  • Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2012 on: April 23, 2014, 07:11:01 pm »

Fancy as always!

Thanks!

Looks sweet. It could be a traditional hand sewn pattern.

Awesome :). I should have some more settlement-y stuff to show this week, hopefully...

I was playing 0.51 and I got a crash when I was walking around a volcano. The output log is here:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You may want to look into it.

Also, I should really have sail this earlier, but your game is amazing. And I, for one, am actually more intersted in it after the focus shift. I've always wanted to play a roguelike that focuses on exploration.  :)

Ah, thanks for the bug report. That's a new one on me. Walking around a volcano? I think I can guess the cause; I'll look into it. Glad to hear you like how it's going! :)

line 176874

I bet you're damn good at regular expressions :P

Ha - AS IT HAPPENS, I am better than that implies. All the game's graphics are stored as strings and those take up at least 60%+ of the game's "code". Though I confess, some of the oldest code is very poorly written, but works fine, so I haven't felt moved to upgrade it when there are new things to add!

Clownmite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: April 23, 2014, 07:22:38 pm »

Can I ask you you generated those roads? They look nice and smooth/curvy.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: April 24, 2014, 01:38:30 am »

So... Um...

What is there to do in this game if I download it right now ????

Can I engage in combat with Nazis while hunting for treasure? *Cracks whip*.

On a serious note I don't get what I can currently do in this game from the opening post. How fleshed out is it? Could you give me a textual example of a 'game' of it or is it still mostly in concept phase?
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

teoleo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: April 24, 2014, 03:31:07 am »

is playable? is similar a df adventur mode?

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: April 24, 2014, 08:41:02 am »

yes is playable technically but more of just engine
so like df adventur mode without real gameplay
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2017 on: April 24, 2014, 09:57:31 am »

I'd love to say I used quadratic equations, but they are all sections of circle circumferences!

So... Um...

What is there to do in this game if I download it right now ????

Can I engage in combat with Nazis while hunting for treasure? *Cracks whip*.

On a serious note I don't get what I can currently do in this game from the opening post. How fleshed out is it? Could you give me a textual example of a 'game' of it or is it still mostly in concept phase?

yes is playable technically but more of just engine
so like df adventur mode without real gameplay

As the opening post says, you can explore and find 'Z'iggurats on the world map, which are the only current gameplay. The latest thing from this release is the encyclopedia, accessed via 'E', which gives you a lot of information about the current world. For various reasons explained in this thread and on my blog, I'm forced to complete the world-building aspects of the game first before I can move onto the core gameplay (though many aspects of the world-building will directly influence the gameplay). Currently you can explore the world, explore the depth of the world so far created, and explore ziggurats - the next release is focused on generating cities, towns, settlements, fortresses and whatnot, and moves us ever closer to my continuation of the playable parts! Also, needless to say, ziggurats are still in a very early version too.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 10:00:37 am by Ultima Ratio Regum »

miki151

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: April 24, 2014, 10:11:04 am »

I'd love to say I used quadratic equations, but they are all sections of circle circumferences!

I'd love to hear how one could use quadratic equations to generate smooth roads and rivers  :)

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: April 24, 2014, 10:59:43 am »

Will I be able to hunt peasants with a smooth-bore rifle while wearing a top-hat?
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2020 on: April 27, 2014, 07:48:00 am »

I'd love to hear how one could use quadratic equations to generate smooth roads and rivers  :)

I believe (despite having aced this at GCSE level, I have all but forgotten any kind of vaguely non-basic mathematics) one can easily do stuff with the ax2+bx+c. I tried, I failed, so I used this circle method instead. But hey, it works! And that, ultimately, is what matters.

Will I be able to hunt peasants with a smooth-bore rifle while wearing a top-hat?

I... er... partly. Possibly. But it might not end well. Law enforcement is going to be pretty... brutal.

No big update this week I'm afraid as I've been away and unable to code for most of the past few days. I've uploaded a second part in my "RTS Level Design" series (http://www.ultimaratioregum.co.uk/game/2014/04/27/real-time-strategy-level-design-ii/), but if that's not your bag, I'll see you next week for a first look at graveyards!

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2021 on: April 29, 2014, 02:12:53 pm »

Right. Graveyard generation now includes walls, graves and tombs/ossuaries/catacomb entrances. Grave graphic generation is completed (20000+ possibilities), now to connect the graves to historical events!

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: April 29, 2014, 09:36:40 pm »

Is this a game yet? I tried .3 and you cpuld move, but that got old after a few minutes

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: April 29, 2014, 10:10:51 pm »

right now it's just an impressive engine. it has some interesting box pushing puzzle on ziggurats

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: April 30, 2014, 06:39:29 am »

Have you considered having chatbots for your NPCs? It's what I've been doing with my RL (using python+libtcod as well) and it's coming along nicely.
Although things like cleverbot seem pretty shallow and gimmicky due to needing to handle a massive variation of general input, game based chatbots don't need to bother about that, as all their conversations happen in the setting which you've created and can only respond to 'in world' stuff.
They also can easily wander off/have negative reactions if you derail the conversation too much away from stuff they know about, and they can have distinct personalities to help color their responses. 

It's not too tricky to do and it gives a much more immersive level of interaction than selecting options - just something to think about anyway!

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 221