Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 221

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress meets The Outer Wilds? "Ultima Ratio Regum", v0.10.1 out Feb 2023  (Read 598234 times)

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ultima Ratio Regum - roguelike/Borges/Eco, v0.5 released!
« Reply #2130 on: August 05, 2014, 04:32:35 pm »

URR opens flawlessly with wineskin, now time to play it.

Edit: Is there much you can do besides wander around the world? Most sites are inaccessible, ziggurats appear to be just buildings with nothing inside, and farms or people don't exist.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 04:58:59 pm by Alev »

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: August 05, 2014, 07:41:14 pm »

Edit: Is there much you can do besides wander around the world? Most sites are inaccessible, ziggurats appear to be just buildings with nothing inside, and farms or people don't exist.
You didn't look hard enough at those ziggurats, then. The doors are only a single tile and can be a bit tricky to spot, but they're there. You can also open up the encyclopedia (forgot the hotkey) to read about your world's history.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: August 06, 2014, 12:43:02 am »

You didn't look hard enough at those ziggurats, then. The doors are only a single tile and can be a bit tricky to spot, but they're there. You can also open up the encyclopedia (forgot the hotkey) to read about your world's history.
E. Yes, the history and stuff is interesting. Is the entrance on the bottom level?

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
  • Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2133 on: August 06, 2014, 04:45:53 am »

It is indeed - a white door. Currently the game is worldbuilding-focused - the core gameplay mechanic involves manipulating the world and the world's history, and as much as I'd love to get onto the gameplay immediately, you can't fiddle with a world without a detailed world in place! My full-time development year (starting ~October) is designed to totally finish the worldbuilding aspects of the game, something that should be easily achievable with a full-time year.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2134 on: August 06, 2014, 12:11:47 pm »

Now that's a nice fortress. Full version at http://www.ultimaratioregum.co.uk/game/files/2014/08/NewS.png

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: August 06, 2014, 01:33:23 pm »

It is indeed - a white door. Currently the game is worldbuilding-focused - the core gameplay mechanic involves manipulating the world and the world's history, and as much as I'd love to get onto the gameplay immediately, you can't fiddle with a world without a detailed world in place! My full-time development year (starting ~October) is designed to totally finish the worldbuilding aspects of the game, something that should be easily achievable with a full-time year.
Ok, cool. But you can't really manipulate the world currently, right?

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2136 on: August 06, 2014, 02:24:51 pm »

Nooo! Not at all, but that's only because the world isn't finished yet. I have actually implemented some of the appropriate data structures, but they're "disabled" and incomplete atm.

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: August 06, 2014, 02:26:24 pm »

Nooo! Not at all, but that's only because the world isn't finished yet. I have actually implemented some of the appropriate data structures, but they're "disabled" and incomplete atm.
Ok. It should be fun when you can do that.

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: August 07, 2014, 08:14:57 pm »

I've got a question. Will there be technological advancement? Obviously the game generates a whole solar system, including atmospheres for the various planets. Does that mean we will at some point have the means to visit them?
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: August 07, 2014, 10:08:27 pm »

I've got a question. Will there be technological advancement? Obviously the game generates a whole solar system, including atmospheres for the various planets. Does that mean we will at some point have the means to visit them?

althought that would be really awesome, the scope of the game history seems to be locked to medieval background...unles the developer says it otherwise....

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2140 on: August 08, 2014, 06:52:36 am »

Technology won't be advancing; the planets serve a different important purpose, though one not yet implemented (once it is implemented, I look forward to seeing who first figures out what they do). It is set ~16th/17th century, scientific revolution time (which influences a lot of the themes of the game), and won't be moving from there. It's not quite medieval as there is gunpowder and the like!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 07:41:28 am by Ultima Ratio Regum »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: August 08, 2014, 07:00:41 am »

Mmm love that Poise bar. I mean, it is one thing to be a warrior of legend... but if you can't do it while looking great in some fashionable clothes you might as well not bother.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2142 on: August 08, 2014, 11:11:44 am »

Mmm love that Poise bar. I mean, it is one thing to be a warrior of legend... but if you can't do it while looking great in some fashionable clothes you might as well not bother.

Ah, took me a moment to figure out what you meant! The final bar is poison; that's one you DON'T want filling up...

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2143 on: August 10, 2014, 08:05:29 am »

I was planning to upload another non-URR post today, but Sunday has crept up upon me with alarming speed and I haven’t actually finished the one I was working on. So, instead, here is a very short and screenshot-heavy update for this week instead with a couple of things I’ve thrown together. As well as the fortress above, I also on a whim threw together some graphics for a future release, 2 or 3 down the line, once I start putting together ships and trade routes. These are just stylized graphics to denote the different classes of ship, military and transport, when you look them up in the Encyclopedia. Alongside them you’ll see information like the ship’s schedule, its armaments, what it trades in, its captain, etc etc.

Also did a little bit of work on making Upper Class Housing districts just that little bit snazzier (as ever, this graphic is generated, there’s over a hundred possible variations):

Next week I'll be back to non-URR updates on my blog for a little while, but around the start of October remains the target for starting the full-time year! See you all next week...

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: August 10, 2014, 10:11:51 pm »

I was planning to upload another non-URR post today, but Sunday has crept up upon me with alarming speed and I haven’t actually finished the one I was working on. So, instead, here is a very short and screenshot-heavy update for this week instead with a couple of things I’ve thrown together. As well as the fortress above, I also on a whim threw together some graphics for a future release, 2 or 3 down the line, once I start putting together ships and trade routes. These are just stylized graphics to denote the different classes of ship, military and transport, when you look them up in the Encyclopedia. Alongside them you’ll see information like the ship’s schedule, its armaments, what it trades in, its captain, etc etc.

Also did a little bit of work on making Upper Class Housing districts just that little bit snazzier (as ever, this graphic is generated, there’s over a hundred possible variations):

Next week I'll be back to non-URR updates on my blog for a little while, but around the start of October remains the target for starting the full-time year! See you all next week...
Cool. Do you plan to let the player go on/captain a ship with that release?
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 221