Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 221

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress meets The Outer Wilds? "Ultima Ratio Regum", v0.10.1 out Feb 2023  (Read 596226 times)

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
  • Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
Re: Ultima Ratio Regum - roguelike/Borges/Eco, v0.5 released!
« Reply #2310 on: December 15, 2014, 08:51:40 am »

Signposts... interesting. Right now the gates can spawn at the top/left, middle, or bottom/right of each wall. Those are the only three locations. If there is a river going through the district, then the gate will always be at the top/left or bottom/right of an edge with that river, and never in the middle (as that's where the river will be). From my own testing, I felt that three-part gate option was sufficiently unambiguous, but - I could move it so that you *always* have gates in the middle of the walls, except in gates of rivers? I hope this problem is MC districts mainly, as most other districts have much clearer roads towards the gates, but I'd be interested to hear your thoughts. Forcing gates into the middle would ever-so-slightly reduce variety, but if you think it would *significantly* improve the readability of districts, then I'd 100% consider it!

Main menu prompt, ah, I see. So you'd prefer if you press Space to look around the world map, you can only leave that screen by pressing space again, and Esc brings up the Main Menu Y/N? I... am not sure I agree. I think there's a certain logic in pressing Esc to return to the "core" screen, and then Esc gives you the Y/N, especially since you're never more than one or two Escs away from it. On the other hand, I reflexively recognize that maybe I'm just saying that because I coded the damned thing and I've become too used to it! I'll certainly keep it in mind as an option. Tbh, I think the big question is how 'l'ooking in combat in the future will play out, and how using a turn to look behind you will "matter". So... I think I'll keep it as it is now, but reevaluate in 0.10.

IN OTHER NEWS:

Only two bugs have been repeated from 500+ downloads in the first two days, and neither of these can I recreate, or has reported by anyone else. One was a crash in worldgen around line 119086 (anyone else?) and the other is the ability to climb city walls (anyone else?), a task which should be totally impossible and I am finding absolutely impossible to make happen on my own system. Otherwise, this has been a damned stable release. Since only one person has reported either of these, it is unlikely that I will release a 0.6.1 unless a significant number of others report either of these, or I can recreate them in the near future, so onwards to 0.7!

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2311 on: December 15, 2014, 01:00:31 pm »

Just a quick note; you may wish to update the OP and the title of the thread as it still stats 0.5 as being released

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2312 on: December 15, 2014, 02:14:37 pm »

Signposts... interesting. Right now the gates can spawn at the top/left, middle, or bottom/right of each wall. Those are the only three locations. If there is a river going through the district, then the gate will always be at the top/left or bottom/right of an edge with that river, and never in the middle (as that's where the river will be). From my own testing, I felt that three-part gate option was sufficiently unambiguous, but - I could move it so that you *always* have gates in the middle of the walls, except in gates of rivers? I hope this problem is MC districts mainly, as most other districts have much clearer roads towards the gates, but I'd be interested to hear your thoughts. Forcing gates into the middle would ever-so-slightly reduce variety, but if you think it would *significantly* improve the readability of districts, then I'd 100% consider it!
I think as far as gates go, having them in the middle would be a good idea. Gate position isn't something I feel would significantly hurt variety and the gain in ease of navigation would be sizeable. It's such an issue because of how big the districts are - I had no idea how big they'd be until I walked around them around!!

Main menu prompt, ah, I see. So you'd prefer if you press Space to look around the world map, you can only leave that screen by pressing space again, and Esc brings up the Main Menu Y/N? I... am not sure I agree. I think there's a certain logic in pressing Esc to return to the "core" screen, and then Esc gives you the Y/N, especially since you're never more than one or two Escs away from it. On the other hand, I reflexively recognize that maybe I'm just saying that because I coded the damned thing and I've become too used to it! I'll certainly keep it in mind as an option.
Something strange seems to have happened! How it is now (with esc leaving the current screen until the core) is EXACTLY how I wanted it, but for some reason it wasn't doing that earlier. I really don't know what to say, as I was definitely just showing a menu prompt no matter what screen I was on (i tested it a few times!). I dread to say it was a bug (and can't see why it would be), but maybe keep an eye out!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 02:53:01 pm by Retropunch »
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2313 on: December 16, 2014, 11:24:02 am »

Just a quick note; you may wish to update the OP and the title of the thread as it still stats 0.5 as being released

Whoops! I'd updated the OP but not the title, thanks for the heads-up.

I think as far as gates go, having them in the middle would be a good idea. Gate position isn't something I feel would significantly hurt variety and the gain in ease of navigation would be sizeable. It's such an issue because of how big the districts are - I had no idea how big they'd be until I walked around them around!!

Heh, ok, I'll definitely see how things work out with middle-gates as the default.

Something strange seems to have happened! How it is now (with esc leaving the current screen until the core) is EXACTLY how I wanted it, but for some reason it wasn't doing that earlier. I really don't know what to say, as I was definitely just showing a menu prompt no matter what screen I was on (i tested it a few times!). I dread to say it was a bug (and can't see why it would be), but maybe keep an eye out!

How confusing! There is a minor bug in there somewhere involving the shift key very, very, very rarely becoming "stuck" in the game (I think it has something to do with changing focus to another window whilst holding shift, or pressing shift, or moving focus onto the URR window when you press shift, or something) but that's the only thing even remotely like what you've just described (i.e. a key issue) and that's a totally different problem. Hmm. Anyway, let me know if any more weirdness occurs...

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2314 on: December 16, 2014, 05:16:33 pm »

Heh, ok, I'll definitely see how things work out with middle-gates as the default.
It'll be good to see how they turn out - if not, I believe another measure - like signposts or even a more 'interface' based addition (something on the minimap/arrows) - would help. It's just that the districts are big, and while I can enjoy wandering around them aimlessly now - I don't know how I'd feel if I actually had a mission to carry out.

How confusing! There is a minor bug in there somewhere involving the shift key very, very, very rarely becoming "stuck" in the game (I think it has something to do with changing focus to another window whilst holding shift, or pressing shift, or moving focus onto the URR window when you press shift, or something) but that's the only thing even remotely like what you've just described (i.e. a key issue) and that's a totally different problem. Hmm. Anyway, let me know if any more weirdness occurs...
Really confused by it - I've tried to replicate it and can't, but it definitely wasn't doing this behaviour before. I had a game open whilst I was writing both posts and it brought up the menu prompt no matter where I pressed Esc. I really can't imagine what it is - it seems strange for it to be a bug, but I can't imagine a computer error causing that. I'll keep watching whilst I keep playing, but my apologies for not testing it more fully before mentioning.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2315 on: December 19, 2014, 03:02:38 pm »

Minimap arrows/other things - interesting, but I think I prefer the all-middle-gates option. I'll put that one in for now (though my concern is - if people get so used to middle gates and then enter a river district without a middle gate, will that make people assume they shouldn't even look for gates on either side of the river?).

As for the weirdness, well, that is weirdness, but let me know if it reappears. I haven't had a similar report from elsewhere, though that doesn't necessarily mean anything - only one person reported being able to climb onto city walls, and that bug - which I have now found! - is so insanely rare I'm not shocked only a single person noticed it (though I'm surprised the person in question didn't report that there was a road running vertically-up a twenty-floor wall as part of it!). So we'll see. Should be starting the technical side of 0.7 around a week from now, hopefully!

cheesemcmuffin88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ultima Ratio Regum - roguelike/Borges/Eco, v0.6 released!
« Reply #2316 on: December 19, 2014, 08:12:13 pm »

This game seems awesome ptw

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2317 on: December 20, 2014, 07:45:09 am »

This game seems awesome ptw

Excellent choice!

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2318 on: December 20, 2014, 09:42:57 am »

Well, it took longer than expected and ran into a million delays (as these things also do), but I am very pleased to announce that from (roughly) now onwards, I will be working full-time on URR for approximately a year. This means my doctorate is no longer my #1 priority (it is effectively finished, and due to be bound and submitted on Jan 31st) and URR my #2, but they have been reversed – my academic work obviously remains important, but development on the game will take precedence for the coming year.

So, what does this mean in practical terms? Well, it should mean four releases this year. My plan is to release 0.7 (building interiors and major code optimization) in March, followed by 0.8 (NPCs!!) in July, 0.9 (strategy, coinage, travel) in September, and 0.10 (combat!) hopefully in December 2015, or just after the start of 2016 if not. It will mean the weekly blog updates will continue with the usual mix of URR updates (90%?) and general game design/history/criticism posts (10%?), and I’ll simply be able to spend significantly more time on coding the game and get through what I want to get through far, far faster than I have over the last three years.

However, there are some contingencies. There are currently several potential academic positions in the works for me, and if/when one of my applications is successful, and when that research project starts, will obviously influence the full length of this full-time development period. As much as I’d like to “guarantee” a full year, the academic jobs market – especially when one is trying to very suddenly change field! – is not to be trifled with, and I cannot with any degree of sanity consider extending to a full year and sacrificing a promising position I would otherwise had taken, if one comes up. As ever I’ll keep you all posted. The other contingency, of course, is that I cannot devote 100% of my time to URR – a significant portion of my time (roughly what I’ve spent on URR in the past few years) will obviously remain on my academic work, for there are a wealth of papers I intend to publish this year and close to a dozen conferences I hope to present at (including hopefully GDC Europe, if all goes well). Regardless, this is a major increase in the time I can commit, and the speed of development should reflect this!

So there we go. Coding development on 0.7 will begin in the next few days once I’ve finished planning out the technical improvements/optimizations, and March is the target for major coding optimization and the generation and storage of every single interior within the current game world (or at least the overwhelming majority, if some turn out to need other releases in place first before they can be designed). I have a few other end-of-year updates lined up for this blog, then regular updates will resume in a couple of weeks.

Last but not least, I just wanted to put up a brief summary of the last week’s 0.6 release. The download rate has been pleasingly rapid, and thus far I’ve had two very, very rare bugs identified, each only by a single person. Given that we hit 1000 downloads within just a little over the first two days (thank you all!) and they haven’t been reported more than once, I feel confident saying these are highly unusual rare bugs. One is in world generation and appears to take place when the game attempts to give a feudal civilization a hunter-gatherer religion (which should be impossible); and the second was a crash at a particular point of worldgen, but with no more information, so that one is sadly just too vague to pursue unless I can get an error log for it. If the person who reported the crash after the “C” and “F” of the worldgen screen is reading this, I need more information! There are a million different functions going on there and an error log is pretty much essential to hunt that crash down. As such, I’ve decided it’s not worth the effort to release a 0.6.1 (unless some major game-breaking bug appears or many more people report these same issues) and to simply push onto 0.7.0 and fix these bugs in the process.

Next week I’ll be posting an end-of-2014 summary of URR’s development (and a couple of other things), and then the entry afterwards I’ll be posting about where we go from here and the plans for 0.7! See you all then.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2319 on: December 20, 2014, 10:34:46 am »

I've lost this project from my field of view for a while, and it's extremely awesome to see it being developed with such rate.

To be honest, it looked like an awesome concept, but I did not really expect you to actually do it until such point and to go even further.
It looked like such a massive endavour, not a lot of people can deal with it.

Also, that's something that I wanted to say a long time ago: this is the ONLY roguelike for me which I cannot imagine with a tileset. Your usage of symbols is such amazing, I think you may be a very popular graphics designer in dusguise.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2320 on: December 20, 2014, 07:26:25 pm »

Thanks for the release. I'll be sure to try it out soon.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2321 on: December 20, 2014, 09:29:32 pm »

I've lost this project from my field of view for a while, and it's extremely awesome to see it being developed with such rate.

To be honest, it looked like an awesome concept, but I did not really expect you to actually do it until such point and to go even further.
It looked like such a massive endavour, not a lot of people can deal with it.

Also, that's something that I wanted to say a long time ago: this is the ONLY roguelike for me which I cannot imagine with a tileset. Your usage of symbols is such amazing, I think you may be a very popular graphics designer in dusguise.

Well, thanks! Glad you see you back. You weren't the only one, believe me, but I think the doubt over my commitment/effort has faded by this point. It's totally understandable though, both in the climate of Kickstarters that go nowhere, and particularly in the RL community - I won't name names, but we've had our share of uber-projects that just fizzle out and go nowhere, so I always expected a little cynicism when I announced similar intentions a few years ago. Anyway, that's awesome about the tileset, I'm glad you like the use of the slightly-extended-ANSI set. And as for your final question, well, maybe I am...

Thanks for the release. I'll be sure to try it out soon.

You're welcome, let me know what you think :)

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2322 on: December 25, 2014, 08:49:29 am »

Today just makes me realize I should add some more procedurally-generated festivals to religious beliefs...

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: December 25, 2014, 08:54:07 am »

Today just makes me realize I should add some more procedurally-generated festivals to religious beliefs...

I'm sure Yule get around to it...  ;)
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: December 25, 2014, 12:54:19 pm »

I'm sure Yule get around to it...  ;)
whyyyy
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 221