Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 221

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress meets The Outer Wilds? "Ultima Ratio Regum", v0.10.1 out Feb 2023  (Read 598176 times)

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
  • Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
Re: Ultima Ratio Regum - roguelike/Borges/Eco, v0.6 released!
« Reply #2340 on: January 18, 2015, 10:04:14 pm »

I do hope there is the possibility of generating an "Armok" deity in game...

I have a few easter eggs planned, and on that topic I shall say no more :)

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2341 on: January 19, 2015, 08:02:03 am »

For those of you in the UK (and US? Maybe?) the February issue of PC Gamer has a two-page spread on ProcJam, where URR is described as a 'giga-roguelike'. I am very, very comfortable with this definition.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2342 on: January 19, 2015, 08:52:17 am »

Haven't kept up to date with URR for a while. It scares me now :P
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2343 on: January 19, 2015, 09:55:54 am »

For those of you in the UK (and US? Maybe?) the February issue of PC Gamer has a two-page spread on ProcJam, where URR is described as a 'giga-roguelike'. I am very, very comfortable with this definition.

I love the definition :D

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2344 on: January 19, 2015, 09:06:05 pm »

Haven't kept up to date with URR for a while. It scares me now :P

EXCELLENT

I love the definition :D

Likewise! I may try to integrate it into the site somewhere...

pedrousz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2345 on: January 20, 2015, 07:06:41 pm »

watching https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZV1-EN_MFtA made me want to explore the game again

I tried maybe even some years ago and found it a little... empty, not much to do or read

there is more to explore on this version or I should I hold my hype to future versions?

also, this game is so beautiful omfggggggggg

can i ask what is your Eco influences? I can't understand were Eco might enter into a roguelike (I can totally see Borges in a random generated history bizzare world though!)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 07:12:42 pm by pedrousz »

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2346 on: January 23, 2015, 06:18:11 am »

Well, it was empty! There's an immense amount to explore in the current version - all the world's cities, fortresses, encampments, farms, graveyards, slums, and more. Building interiors are coming in the version I'm working on now.

Ha, thanks :). Just wait until you see all the graphical beauty I'm working on now! My goodness.

Re: Eco, oh boy, you're asking the big questions, aren't you? Well, primarily from The Name of the Rose. I like some of the debates over science and the scientific method and different forms of knowledge in Baudolino, and the underlying absurdity in Foucault's Pendulum and the acknowledgement that one can only understand a certain amount about the past (or extrapolate about that past) from the data you have, but it's mostly from TNotR that I'm drawing inspiration. I'm particularly interested in a lot of ideas from TNotR, particularly the layout of the Aedificium and the idea of the terrestrial/thematic labyrinth that organizes the books; the debates over religious interpretation and all the different interests aligned with them (and indeed the detail of religious doctrine described in the book), the idea of deducing information based on the signs the lead characters have access to (hence URR's intention for "qualitative" gameplay, rather than stats/dungeons/monsters etc), the general discussion of books and the knowledge they can impart and how flawed/partial this knowledge can be, the overall setting (though clearly pre-scientific-revolution), and the idea of books being things of such significant importance that people would be willing to (spoilers!......     spoilers.) kill for them, hide them away, use a library as a thing to hide books rather than disseminate knowledge, etc. URR will, a few versions hence, have its own highly important library...

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2347 on: January 23, 2015, 01:52:34 pm »

Just added a new polytheistic religion archetype - say hello to the Pantheon of the Bloody Masquerade, and the Gods of the Divine Revelry...

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2348 on: January 24, 2015, 08:16:34 am »

This week I’ve been finishing off the first set of interiors for the game – religious buildings. I selected these first because I know they’d be quite complex, and I figured this would be a good way to get down a lot of the appropriate infrastructures for interiors and generating/saving/storing/loading them, and then be able to apply those to other simpler buildings rather than simultaneously creating the data structures and the buildings as I went along. Here’s a nice shot of a religious building with the ground floor – the purple symbol is the altar, the blue symbol is a reliquary! – and the second floor, which has some private quarters for the priest (behind the locked door in the middle) and also a staircase leading upwards behind another locked door (on the bottom-left), which leads to who knows where?

Religious buildings have become highly complex and varied in a huge number of ways, but one of these ways which I’ve focused on this week has been in terms of statues within the religious buildings. Originally statues were going to be a binary either/or – either religious buildings had statues of appropriate important figures/deities, or they didn’t. However, I decided it would be much more interesting to add more possible details to this list as a way to both further enhance the variation of religious buildings, and give NPCs and information in the game more to talk about. Therefore: instead of statues, religious buildings may contain ceremonial gongs, vases, and incense stands. Rather than always hearing “The church with the statues that look like X”, you’ll get “The church with the brass gongs”, “The church with the vases that depict two dragons fighting”, and so on and so forth. These are all, naturally, procedurally generated. I’ve created all the graphics for the gongs and also worked on some more graphics for the rest of the ordinary furniture, and my intention is to next work on the vases and the incense stands whilst I move onto programming other building interiors in the coming days.

I’ve also implemented HERESIES. The average game will have between 3 and 6 of these generated in the game world, and they draw upon the data stored for existing religions to propose heretical notions “logical” (as it were) to the religion in question. Religion worships an animal-headed god? Maybe this sect believes that eating animal flesh insults the god. Religion consists of a pantheon of eight gods? Maybe the sect believes there is a ninth. Religion proposes a kind, benevolent god? Maybe the sect believes this god is actually evil, or at least inimical to human well-being. And so on. Just like all the flags and coats of arms and so forth, heresies have their own algorithm for symbol generation (there’s about 40 or so possible, so it’ll be many games until you see them all) and now show up in the Encyclopedia, where you can read a little information about the nature of that heresy, though this will be added to significantly in the future. Each heresy also has one of three statues – it may be TOLERATED by the dominant religion, SHUNNED, or be the subject of an INQUISITION, in which case that belief will be entirely hidden underground. Inquisitions will be worked on later, maybe this release, maybe next. We’ll see. As you can see, the screenshot below is very much an in-progress screenshot (information is not lined up nicely, there’s no leader data, some of the names don’t fit into the window, there’s an unusually large number of heresies in order to make sure they all generate correctly, etc), but you can see how these are coming along. Once I implement the leader information, there will also be a list on the left side of the information screen showing what settlements this heresy has been found in.

Lastly I’ve also fixed a bunch of smaller issues this week – there were some unusual edge cases with entering/leaving buildings I’ve sorted out, and some residual minor problems with coats of arms and a few tiny other things which nobody except me seems to have noticed (since I know what things should look like!), but those have been fixed. This next week might be a lesser coding week – my intention is to submit my PhD no later than the 30th, and probably on the 27th/28th, so I need to devote time to getting it formatted correctly, having it bound, handing it in, blah blah. Either way, whatever coding does happen will be focused on moving interior generation into other buildings (I think I’ll go for something simple like slum housing next after this religious complexity), and adding in the rest of the graphics for the vases, gongs, etc (statues, being highly complex, might have to wait for now). See you all next week!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 09:45:17 am by Ultima Ratio Regum »

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2349 on: January 24, 2015, 09:15:38 pm »

More religious building interiors! Altar (purple), reliquary (blue ohm), offerings (light blue pi), incense stands (small desaturated red symbol, I cannot recall the name of that character), two floors.

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2350 on: January 26, 2015, 02:34:40 am »

You probably have 'tau' in mind, if we are thinking about the same symbol. ;)
My little roguelike craft-centered game thread. Check it out.

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2351 on: January 26, 2015, 05:52:20 am »

My god, this looks like the kind of game that I'd become addicted to. What is its current state? Is it playable? Can I begin to wreck the final semester of my law degree?

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2352 on: January 26, 2015, 09:30:44 am »

You probably have 'tau' in mind, if we are thinking about the same symbol. ;)

Of course! Clearly my Sixth Form physics knowledge has escaped me, I should have known that :(

My god, this looks like the kind of game that I'd become addicted to. What is its current state? Is it playable? Can I begin to wreck the final semester of my law degree?

Haha, thanks. It is currently basically a colossal and detailed scientific revolution world generator; you can explore the vast world, and it's history/cultures/religions/politics, but there's no gameplay as of yet. I'm currently working on adding interiors to every single building, and then it's onto gameplay!

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2353 on: January 26, 2015, 09:33:26 am »

Keep up the good work! Is there a rough estimate on when the 'gameplay' will be added? If you say May, I may have to kill you, as that'll be when my finals are...

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2354 on: January 26, 2015, 10:14:14 am »

Keep up the good work! Is there a rough estimate on when the 'gameplay' will be added? If you say May, I may have to kill you, as that'll be when my finals are...

Erm... maybe. Probably a little later though, as going from "no NPCs" to "a world full of NPCs who all behave correctly" is a big release, so probably more like June/July? Rest assured, your finals shall not be interrupted! Probably.
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 221