Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 221

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress meets The Outer Wilds? "Ultima Ratio Regum", v0.10.1 out Feb 2023  (Read 598411 times)

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ultima Ratio Regum - roguelike/Borges/Eco, v0.6 released!
« Reply #2355 on: January 26, 2015, 10:30:38 am »

That sounds awesome to me, I'll have graduated by then and be *cough* working *cough*, so my weekends will be my own to get lost in this!

I shall totally keep a keen eye on this one, awesome work so far!

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
  • Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2356 on: January 28, 2015, 12:42:05 pm »

That sounds awesome to me, I'll have graduated by then and be *cough* working *cough*, so my weekends will be my own to get lost in this!

I shall totally keep a keen eye on this one, awesome work so far!

Excellent plan, and good luck - and thanks! :)

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2357 on: January 29, 2015, 05:01:58 am »

My Roguelike Radio interview on URR is now live!

http://www.roguelikeradio.com/2015/01/episode-96-ultima-ratio-regum.html

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2358 on: January 31, 2015, 06:52:36 am »

Alas, I have little to report this week. I’ve worked on finishing off the graphics for procedural altar generation (there’s an incredible variety and I’m working up a really detailed entry on this, maybe for next week, maybe the week after), making sure that the player can correctly ‘l’ook at everything indoors, and sadly that’s about it…

… but this comparative lack of speedy development is because I submitted my PhD! After three-and-a-third years of work, one serious illness that left me pretty much out of commission for about six months, and another far more serious illness that actually threatened my life, I’ve got the damned thing in (if anyone is interested, I have updated my academic profile (http://www.york.ac.uk/sociology/our-staff/students/mark-johnson/) on the York site). I was expecting to feel profoundly nervous, but I feel oddly calm about the whole thing. I have a copy of the softbound thesis lying on my desk in front of me so that I can “revise” from it when the time comes to defend, but I’m having to make sure I’m not tempted into opening it and checking for typos or anything like that (though a pretty thorough typo search was conducted by both myself and two others). The next month or two have just opened up in front of me as wonderful blocks of time where no more thesis work is required (and it’s looking increasingly likely I’m going to have a game studies academic job on the horizon, but more on that as and when). I’m also going to start trying to write some more general games criticism stuff for some of the many games commentary sites out on the web, and when that actually starts happening I’ll naturally link to them here.

Anyway, this coming week, I’m therefore expecting major progress with a full seven days of coding – my intention is to finish off all the altar graphics, work on some more interior graphics, conclude everything to do with religious building interiors, and then move onto generating the interiors for some other, simpler buildings (maybe slums, lower-class housing, etc). I’m also going to submit the full 8500-word version of my roguelike semiotics paper (which I presented at a conference last year) to an academic journal at last, and I’m extremely happy with how it’s looking (http://www.ultimaratioregum.co.uk/game/2014/02/22/the-semiotics-of-the-roguelike/).

Lastly, I was also on Roguelike Radio again! I got interviewed for an episode specifically about URR, and it was pretty excellent (I think). I recommend giving it a listen (http://www.roguelikeradio.com/2015/01/episode-96-ultima-ratio-regum.html). See you next week, folks.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2359 on: January 31, 2015, 12:42:17 pm »

Congratulations on submitting your PhD, dude! Good luck with the grading (unless you already know) - I didn't realise you were a fellow Brit, old chap!

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2360 on: February 01, 2015, 06:09:00 am »

Thanks! Won't know how it looks until the defence, at which point I'll either get "minor revisions" (what everyone aims for, which is just stuff like small typo, add this reference, explain this point better), or "major revisions", which is very bad (which basically means rewrite an entire chapter, or rewrite some part of the theoretical underpinning of the entire work, etc), but I'm feeling fairly confident about minors. And yes, I am indeed! :)

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2361 on: February 01, 2015, 04:18:18 pm »

Procedural deity generation gets pretty weird sometimes. Pretty weird.

Edit: I know it gifts/bans the same thing, making those exclusions is just one item on the list of 8475719 things to do...
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 04:37:53 pm by Ultima Ratio Regum »

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2362 on: February 02, 2015, 03:48:55 am »

"You couldn't possibly use wood to make a bow! What a travesty! It should be a stock for a PROPER weapon! Like THIS!" *ca-chunk*
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2363 on: February 02, 2015, 08:40:33 am »

What the hell do they make their bows from!?

Bone?

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2364 on: February 02, 2015, 09:05:58 am »

Bone bows are a thing :)

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2365 on: February 02, 2015, 03:54:43 pm »

Bone bows are a thing :)

I know, I was listing the only other possible material I could think of that would work!  ;)

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2366 on: February 03, 2015, 10:46:26 am »

I feel compelled to point out the focus of that post was on the hideous freak of supernature (as it were), not the bows, but I'm most amused by this above discussion. That should be fixed this release...

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2367 on: February 03, 2015, 11:54:39 am »

That, too! :o Though is it odd that I could totally imagine the being as described?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 11:58:27 am by Kaje »

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2368 on: February 04, 2015, 03:44:01 am »

I figured that was a thing that you had in mind when posting this effect, but really, this is only a Janus^2 (which an added touch of serpentine tongue), isn't it? ;) Not at all that strange. At least, not on B12 forum...
My little roguelike craft-centered game thread. Check it out.

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2369 on: February 04, 2015, 07:50:15 am »

That, too! :o Though is it odd that I could totally imagine the being as described?

I think it is a good sign of impeccable mental stability!

I figured that was a thing that you had in mind when posting this effect, but really, this is only a Janus^2 (which an added touch of serpentine tongue), isn't it? ;) Not at all that strange. At least, not on B12 forum...

Ha, well, maybe that's the case. I'm going to have to ramp up the weirdness...
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 221