Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What is the worst bug in DF? Current list, including list of fixed bugs: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=94802.msg3089089#msg3089089

impossible mandates (slade - bug #782, blue jay tooth etc - bug #1623) due to strange preferences (wagon wood - bug #3676 etc)
- 19 (3.1%)
bug #3169 - Bone carvers suffer art defacement when somebody leaves the map with stuck-in masterpiece bolts
- 2 (0.3%)
bug #524 - Liquid glob material breath attacks come out solid
- 2 (0.3%)
bug #1346 - Adamantine thread used for suturing.
- 13 (2.1%)
bug #2352 - Seasonal ice melting hangs game for a ridiculously long time
- 8 (1.3%)
bug #296 - Pools/smears/spatters of blood, dust and other materials multiply themselves, get tracked around too much
- 25 (4.1%)
bug #425 - Dwarves Not Cleaning Blood
- 14 (2.3%)
bug #2481 - Dwarves will claim new clothes when theirs is worn (xClothesx) but not wear it
- 95 (15.7%)
bug #3453 - Baron/etc. cannot appoint baron-appointed nobles, such as the Dungeon Master
- 66 (10.9%)
bug #4025 - Every kobold starves to death at exactly year 4 in world gen
- 41 (6.8%)
bug #3708 - Ghost names that can't be engraved on a slab and nameless slab engravings
- 18 (3%)
bug #1498 - Crystal glass items can't be made, CRYSTAL_GLASSABLE appears broken
- 9 (1.5%)
bug #1582 - Injured dwarf in bed in stocked hospital ignored by idle doctors
- 30 (4.9%)
bug #231 - Body parts from large creatures (bones, meat, leather, tusks, etc) slow workshops down due to clutter
- 14 (2.3%)
bug #197 - No wagons in trader/merchant caravans
- 8 (1.3%)
bug #3942 - Dwarves owning broken clothing. Clothes don't rot, ANNIHILATES FPS.
- 67 (11%)
bug #3685 - Goblin squads invading a fortress will kill their non-goblin squadmates, sparking loyalty cascade
- 3 (0.5%)
bug #1376 - Presence of saltwater marsh causes mountain brooks/pools to become salty
- 5 (0.8%)
Lye, water and buckets  (bug #1324 - buckets full of water were used to produce lye, bug #4230 - bucket with water inside becomes unusable, bug #1236 - buckets contain lye and water, can't be used for anything)
- 25 (4.1%)
bug #535 - Equipping weapons/armor on military is erratic
- 46 (7.6%)
bug #3898 - Entire Bone Statcks are used in Reactions instead of a single Bone
- 14 (2.3%)
bug #2712 - weapons, especially whips, cut through steel armor like butter
- 27 (4.4%)
bug #4133 - Good/evil plants/trees don't appear (feather trees, glumprongs, sliver barbs, and sun berries)
- 11 (1.8%)
bug #2327 - Blunt weapons extremely ineffective, extended single combat with groundhog
- 14 (2.3%)
bug #4550 - Dodging into river/lava/from cliff etc
- 13 (2.1%)
bug #4552 - Siegers waiting by bodies of dead leaders
- 10 (1.6%)
bug #4833: When embarking, crashes when memory use reaches 2GB.
- 6 (1%)
bug #4856: Immortal Dwarf (... Yet unconcious) [or any other creature]
- 0 (0%)
bug #1609: Immigrant dwarves' skills often don't match their job settings
- 2 (0.3%)

Total Members Voted: 604

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11

Author Topic: clothes fixed! | old poll results | poll restarted | 344/607 fixed  (Read 39476 times)

hoveringdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The worst bug - poll
« Reply #75 on: November 13, 2011, 01:10:48 pm »

I voted the clothing bug. Besides the contagion issue, I've always wanted to build a fortress specializing in clothing production, especially now that we have wool- and hair-based cloth, but if the dwarfs won't wear the fancy raiment they manufacture, kinda disappointing.

Wasn't there some history to this bug, that clothing used to work but it was disabled because it caused some other issues having to do with clutter?

Also, the bug tracker lists it as "resolved," but do marksdwarves now choose the proper bolts assigned for practice? Last I tried, they still weren't distinguishing between bolts assigned for combat and those assigned for practice, but that may have been a few versions ago.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 14, 2011, 03:01:51 am »

I vote clothing bug as well, many of the others I feel are either minor or practically features:
e.g.

impossible mandates due to strange preferences is usually amusing: dwarven nobility do not have to make reasonable demands; human nobility has certainly been known to be problematic, and I see no reason to fix even the possibility of a slave-driving, slade-item demand monster of a noble in my fort.

Adamantine thread used for suturing: your dwarves being vain, getting arms sewn back on with the strongest, most expensive stuff in the universe.

ody parts from large creatures (bones, meat, leather, tusks, etc) slow workshops down due to clutter I always saw as part of the realism of the game

Dodging into river/lava/from cliff again this I thought was one of the reasons for the spatial awareness trait, and simulated the death-by-dramatic-fall trope.

Siegers waiting by bodies of dead leaders: also somehow appropriate. Honor guard

More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 14, 2011, 04:15:24 am »

Dodging into river/lava/from cliff again this I thought was one of the reasons for the spatial awareness trait, and simulated the death-by-dramatic-fall trope.
spatial awareness trait is unused, dodging is completely random (with 4 magma tiles and 4 grass tiles half of creatures will dodge into magma)
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #78 on: November 14, 2011, 07:51:56 am »

I voted the clothing bug. Besides the contagion issue, I've always wanted to build a fortress specializing in clothing production, especially now that we have wool- and hair-based cloth, but if the dwarfs won't wear the fancy raiment they manufacture, kinda disappointing.

Wasn't there some history to this bug, that clothing used to work but it was disabled because it caused some other issues having to do with clutter?

Also, the bug tracker lists it as "resolved," but do marksdwarves now choose the proper bolts assigned for practice? Last I tried, they still weren't distinguishing between bolts assigned for combat and those assigned for practice, but that may have been a few versions ago.

In Software QA, 'Resolved' means the developer has changed the code in an attempt to fix it, but it hasn't been confirmed that the bug is actually fixed.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 14, 2011, 02:14:59 pm »

In Software QA, 'Resolved' means the developer has changed the code in an attempt to fix it, but it hasn't been confirmed that the bug is actually fixed.
Nah. In this case, only "Resolved" signed by Toady One is worth anything. If it is signed by someone else, then it should be, for example, "Duplicate". Or "Cannot reproduce". Or "Not a bug". Or "Will not be fixed, bite me". Gotta love that even bug tracker have rather bad decisions executed.
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 14, 2011, 03:26:47 pm »

Nah. In this case, only "Resolved" signed by Toady One is worth anything. If it is signed by someone else, then it should be, for example, "Duplicate". Or "Cannot reproduce". Or "Not a bug". Or "Will not be fixed, bite me". Gotta love that even bug tracker have rather bad decisions executed.
That stuff is what "closed" is for.

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 14, 2011, 03:43:15 pm »

That stuff is what "closed" is for.
I know, I was just mean. My examples, in fact, should apply to Resolution field (that at least is used properly on DF Mantis).

But most visible field, Status, is wrongly used. Yes, you are right, it should be "Closed", but it is almost always "Resolved".
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #82 on: November 15, 2011, 10:40:11 pm »

The crystal glass bug isn't that bad, considering a fix exists. Granted, said fix involves hex-editing "Dwarf Fortress.exe" by hand, and said fix only works on Windows, but it's a fix nonetheless.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 16, 2011, 03:39:40 am »

The crystal glass bug isn't that bad, considering a fix exists. Granted, said fix involves hex-editing "Dwarf Fortress.exe" by hand, and said fix only works on Windows, but it's a fix nonetheless.
It is a bit infuriating to save game, replace DFhack exe with crystalbugfixedexe, make crystal glass, replace crystalbugfixedexe with DFhack exe etc...
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 22, 2011, 07:07:12 am »

I think that whips regularly breaking major bones through best steel armor possible are not an intended part of the game. That class of weapons is visibly broken now.

Combat system in general. Death from external blood loss and internal hemorrhaging may be too rare now as an overreaction to being too common at first. Blunt weapons only ever kill by targeting head and "breaking" brain. Bloodloss from multiple arrows is only significant for small animals. There is no cumulative damage so you cannot "saw off" a limb by repeatedly hitting it with a jagged knife. Maybe some more combat rebalancing had already been done for the new release and it will continue to converge to making sense. It affects both Fortress and Adventure modes.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 22, 2011, 08:55:28 am »

There is no cumulative damage so you cannot "saw off" a limb by repeatedly hitting it with a jagged knife.

Actually there is cumulative damage. It was added in one of the first 0.31.X versions because bronze collossuses and undead were unkillable.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 22, 2011, 02:10:06 pm »

What you refer to is a supplemental global hit points system that at least undead use in addition to usual ways to die. All other damages do not stack. If you are not physically able to decapitate a creature with a lucky first hit than no amount of repeated hacking its neck will accomplish it.

As far as I know it was put into place as a temporary fix and causes its own problems. Like not properly registering a kill for historical purposes and killing skeletons with a single hit to a lover leg with a _really sharp crossbow bolt_.
Something like [SEVERE_ON_BREAK] is not working and cutting limb muscles and tendons of a living creature do not impair its functions unless a nerve was also cut. Only damage to hands and feet has some consequences, not to anything between them and the body.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #87 on: November 22, 2011, 02:30:18 pm »

3rd annoyance award goes to the impossible mandates bug. Sometimes, I get so annoyed I turn of all mandates manually by modding the entity files.

I have a fix for this bug that prevents impossible materials from showing up in mandates while leaving mandates in place, but it's a fairly major reworking of the raws, creating a lot of custom materials and material templates.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5190
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 25, 2011, 09:03:53 am »

Well, there are still problems like no protection from deadly blood, FPS loss (bug #3942) and quality of simulation also suffers (everybody running naked).

This wouldn't be half as bad if assigning uniforms worked for everyone. But now even if you go to the trouble of drafting and uniform everyone, hunters, woodcutters and miners still end up naked.

That reminds me: I vaguely remember reading that this not-wearing-clothes business was introduced intentionally. If that is correct, can you perhaps shed some light on why this was done?

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 27, 2011, 05:35:46 pm »

What you refer to is a supplemental global hit points system that at least undead use in addition to usual ways to die. All other damages do not stack.
Yes, they stack (why do you think blobs and Bronze Colosuses stopped being unkillable after one certain release?). Hitpoints for undead are separate pseudo-fix that waits for implementation of pulping. One would think that release with Undead Apocalypse(tm) getting so much work and attention would have it implemented. Meh.

All other damages do not stack. If you are not physically able to decapitate a creature with a lucky first hit than no amount of repeated hacking its neck will accomplish it.
That was true before mentioned version. Currently nope, BC is killable even with wooden bolts. After few decades of constant pepering. Best marksdwarf training dummy ever.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11