Advanced search  

Poll

What should I add next?

More magic.
More summons.
More encounters.
More civs.
Usable Mognet.
More loot! (Loot's already in for some monsters.)
Nothing, your mod's epic as it is right now.

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 23

Author Topic: [DF 34.11] Final Fantasy Mod v1.2  (Read 72212 times)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: Final Fantasy Mod
« Reply #225 on: May 08, 2012, 01:37:56 pm »

Yes, I do plan to somehow have the summons summonable. That means it will be possible to summon Sin, although seeing as I will make him hostile to EVERYTHING THAT MOVES, it may not be such a good idea.

Ha!  Now there's a good idea!  Although I'm not exactly sure how you'd pull it off.  To the best of my knowledge, you can't create living creatures without another living creature.  Doesn't mean there isn't a way, though...

Anyway, I was trying to make a working Blue Mage class.  Turns out it's not that simple for a number of reasons, mainly because for no good reason there is no way to make a syndrome REQUIRE a certain syndrome effect beforehand, only forbid it.  Silly... BUT there is a way, although it's a bit of a workaround.  There's a tag called [SUPERNATURAL] that doesn't seem to do anything, and no creature in Vanilla actually has.  If a Blue Mage can be considered SUPERNATURAL, and no other creature has that tag, it is possible to use the SUPERNATURAL tag as shorthand for 'is a blue mage', enabling them to learn abilities.

I made a test for this, using the Malboro's Bad Breath.  It works (although the Blue Mage is not immune to his own attack, so using it might not be a good idea.  That won't be a problem for non-material interactions, though.)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You can use the same principle to make other learnable abilities, just replace the relevant parts of the interactions.

ShadowBroker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 08, 2012, 09:19:50 pm »

just like to say, i am loving the hell out of this mod
Aside from that, being rational is not only optional, but is frowned upon.  We hate elves.  We kill for socks.  We sacrifice nobles.  We love kobolds.

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
  • This isn't a fortress... ...It's also not a map.
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 08, 2012, 11:07:47 pm »

You can use the same principle to make other learnable abilities, just replace the relevant parts of the interactions.

I've changed my basalisk stare to be more in line with your blue magic,  I tweaked your Blue mage secret by giving it a syndrome class so that the basalisks stare would be less deadly to a blue mage.
         [SYN_CLASS:BLUE_MAGIC] right after syndrome

Death Curse 1 interaction, since the spell in Final Fantasy is either Doom or Death

And Mirror Transfer which could be called learn Death Curse instead

I made a test for this, using the Malboro's Bad Breath.  It works (although the Blue Mage is not immune to his own attack, so using it might not be a good idea.  That won't be a problem for non-material interactions, though.)

I did not find a marlboro in this Final Fantasy Mod, but I borrowed one from another mod and stuck your interaction in it works very well for blue mages and Qu's.  A previous poster also gave the phoenix Life,  I think someone found a way to limit healing spam using tags.

In addition to Supernatural there are [MAGICAL] and [MUNDANE] tags that seem to not be used.

EDIT--
The Qu has Supernatural as one of it's tags, the malboro and it are trading bad breath back and forth.  Neither One's going down.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 11:31:57 pm by Courtesy Arloban »
Maybe that the dwarves never died and everyone is just shunning them.
"Wait, what are you doing?  I don't want to go in there!  No, I'm still alive, you can't do this to me!  Is Anybody listening?  Hello... Can someone let me out?  Help me!  Is anyone there?  I'm running out of air!"

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 09, 2012, 09:36:59 am »

Solution: Throw in Doomtrain.
Also, thanks for the suggestions and support! I haven't modded in a while so you guys really help. At the moment I have half the summons fixed, and I'll be considering creating a useless creature specifically for fortress mages.

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 10, 2012, 12:52:05 am »

Solution: Throw in Doomtrain.
Also, thanks for the suggestions and support! I haven't modded in a while so you guys really help. At the moment I have half the summons fixed, and I'll be considering creating a useless creature specifically for fortress mages.

I couldn't I looked at marlboro's description and the game crashed, that'll teach me to "borrow" without looking for all the interconnected peices.  However the Qu work fine, and I just need to give them a frghammer ability, which I think actually needs to be in the frog raws.

for creature_ffmod_civs

interaction_ffmod_civs this is to make them able to breed in fortress mode, they don't seem to need it in worldgen

for lanquages_QU I have some puns like "vivi" means meal And I hope it fits...
 ...nope too big

"Wait, what are you doing?  I don't want to go in there!  No, I'm still alive, you can't do this to me!  Is Anybody listening?  Hello... Can someone let me out?  Help me!  Is anyone there?  I'm running out of air!"

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 10, 2012, 01:08:28 am »

...not even by itself so...
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6283

for entity_ffmod_civs

for item_armor_ffmod

for item_gloves_ffmod

for item_helm_ffmod

for item_pants_ffmod

for item_shield_ffmod

for item_weapon_ffmod

I've genned a world adventured as a Qu named Quina QuinQeun Quale Quan  Eaten Hungerstarve the Cook of Gorges.  I've completed my first quest killing a lesser catobeplas with my copper fork which may be overpowered.  I picked up a sword from where I slew him and reported his death.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 01:18:31 am by Courtesy Arloban »

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 10, 2012, 01:14:54 am »

If it's too big, post it on Pastebin or Dropbox, then link it back here.

And yeah, they look awesome, though I don't understand why NOT_BUTCHERABLE on the interaction is needed.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 10, 2012, 01:29:08 am »

85% of the Qu are genderless as in final fantasy, 14% are born female and 1 % are born male.  I use the evolution and lock interactions so that Qu can breed in fortress mode.  The female Qu can become male through the evolution interaction, and they all will if not stopped.  The lock interaction is the way of telling the fort you have a male now stop evolving.  It's like a cross between frogs and naked mole rats.

I picked Not Butcherable to be the tag that tells the evolve interaction to stop because it doesn't make a difference since you can't butcher your own civ members anyways.

I found out after adventuring that i accidently generated that world with a version of the Qu that have [GOBBLE_VERMIN_CREATURE:TOAD:DEFAULT] instead of the GOBBLE_VERMIN_CREATURE:TOAD:FEMALE/MALE versions.  I had already made the changes, but sometimes I change the wrong file.  So I'm not entirely sure they wont still starve, but they didn't with a taste for a caste that didn't exist.

I'm working on Golden Frogs to give the Froghammer Interaction to the Qu,  I think I'll give them GOBBLE_VERMIN_CREATURE:FROG_GOLDEN:FEMALE/MALE so that the male frog eats other male frogs and the female eats females(If it works) to see if it works.

FFIX has another vermin the Oglock which would be VERMIN_HATEABLE.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 01:54:59 am by Courtesy Arloban »

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 10, 2012, 11:32:14 am »

Hm, I think I'll be relying on you guys for some of the more complicated bits. I myself have only played up to FFX, and in those I only played 5 of them to the end. The rest I'm using wikis and such. Thanks for the support!

Also, on the mod, it should be out by next Friday. If not, it will be out on the Friday after, since I have a trip to worry about.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 10, 2012, 04:02:52 pm »

Made some more Blue Magic spells, as well as Azulmagia, a creature to test them out and a place to put the spell references for copy-pasting them into other creatures.  When CPU controlled, they tend to kill themselves, since any material-based attacks will usually be more dangerous to the caster than the recipient.

Goblin Punch: Short-range attack that generally causes minor bruising, but has a small (random) chance of dealing heavy bleeding damage.  It has a very short cooldown period and can be used as frequently as a physical attack.
Flamethrower: Regular fire breath.  The CPU tends to kill itself with it, but it's mostly safe if you walk backwards while using it.
Bad Breath: Malboro's signature attack, causes multiple symptoms.  Fairly pointless for a blue mage, since it hits the caster more frequently than the opponent.
1000 Needles: Cactuar's signature attack, causes short-term heavy bleeding to simulate a defense-ignoring physical attack.  Same problem as Bad Breath.
Frog Song: Turns multiple opponents into toads for a short period of time.  Totally overpowered and unfair, although the target does benefit from a full-heal if they somehow manage to survive until the spell ends.
Blaster: Coerl's signature attack, not sure if it should be a direct interaction or a material attack, but made it a direct interaction for now.  Stuns a target for a short time, and has a small chance of causing full-body paralysis and death by suffocation.
Doom: Ahriman's signature attack, has no effect until exactly one year after the spell was cast, at which point the target's lungs stop working and they die of suffocation.  Since it was originally designed to make for an interesting fortress experience, it's kind of pointless in ordinary combat due to the long time span (not to mention that in order to learn the attack, the target must have been hit by it.)

Out of curiosity, what will be this mod's standpoint on death?  Will it have the casual, easily-killed and easily-revived approach taken by the Final Fantasy series as a whole (disregarding the occasional 'plotline death', or will it have the dwarfier 'dead is dead' mechanic?

Incidentially, it is possible to make different levels of 'deadness'.  For instance, using a simple 'Resurrection' interaction with no modifications will fix a character who died of suffocation (by strangling, drowning or the Doom spell, for instance), but an extra boost is needed for someone who died of blood loss (they need a moment with their 'HAS_BLOOD' tag removed to begin 'regenerating' their blood), and if their vital organs (such as their brain or lungs) are damaged, they will need extra time of being magically sustained with boosted Recuperation ability in order to restore these parts without dropping dead again.  A character who has been torn in half or decapitated cannot be resurrected by normal methods (although there may be ways of getting around this).  In this way, it is possible to differentiate between a character who is 'dead but revivable' and 'really dead'.

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 10, 2012, 05:59:44 pm »

Very good work on those interactions!

For Doom you could make it where the blue mage gets hit by a weaker version of the spell while still learning it.  I did this when I changed my death curse to use your blue mage secret instead of just giving the blue mage ability to anyone.  It requires one alteration to your secret, A SYNDROME_CLASS that prevents the original Death Curse from affecting the blue mage, and a second weaker Death Curse syndrome in the interaction that allows them to learn Death Curse,

As to how much Life should work in the game, the Phoenix summons Life should completely heal a character in addition to bringing them back to life.  It should be really rare and hard to aquire.  The phoenix should only cast it on friendly corpses instead of all of them.  A blue mage should have to be killed on a battlefield while Phoenix is summoned to learn it.

Autolife might can be done with a timed syndrome.  I've been working on that for adventure mode, haven't got a chance to test it out yet.  Anything that kills me usually ambushes me.

ShadowBroker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 10, 2012, 11:05:14 pm »

Hm, I think I'll be relying on you guys for some of the more complicated bits. I myself have only played up to FFX, and in those I only played 5 of them to the end. The rest I'm using wikis and such. Thanks for the support!

Also, on the mod, it should be out by next Friday. If not, it will be out on the Friday after, since I have a trip to worry about.

its ok. i feel completly out of place. ive played just about every FF sans 1,2,and 3, but have never beaten one
also, since i was never a modder, and know nothing about the new magic system, i am a fish out of water now....
Aside from that, being rational is not only optional, but is frowned upon.  We hate elves.  We kill for socks.  We sacrifice nobles.  We love kobolds.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 11, 2012, 03:02:50 am »

its ok. i feel completly out of place. ive played just about every FF sans 1,2,and 3, but have never beaten one
also, since i was never a modder, and know nothing about the new magic system, i am a fish out of water now....

Finished 5, 6, and FFTA, and saw bits of 7 and 10.  So yeah... I do tend to be pretty thorough in my wiki-based research though.

As for the whole 'life and death' issue, perhaps there could be 2 different levels.  Life 1 could be a simple 'revive' that fixes up creatures that have died of suffocation, drowning, starvation, etc. (Doom spell victims could be fixed with this - if Life is a fairly common spell, the Doom spell could take a much shorter time without breaking the game, and it would be much less sacrificial for a Blue Mage to learn it), while Life 2 could be a higher-level function that adds on 'blood recovery' as well, for creatures that had suffered more violent deaths.  Phoenix should probably have an additional healing boost for damaged vital organs, since it's implied (at least in FF6) that it has some capability to revive people who have died 'plotline deaths' (although not all of them, apparently).

BTW, I'm pretty sure that none of the Life spells are considered Blue Magic, so a blue mage wouldn't be able to learn them one way or another.

Has anyone done any experimenting with the effects of resurrection in Fortress Mode?  I'm pretty sure that witnessing death will cause bad thoughts that are not cancelled out by the revival of the dead creature.  Even with casual resurrection included, having your characters die too often could still lead to a tantrum spiral.  Also, if a single creature kills the same victim over and over, these will be considered separate killings with regards to acquiring names and boasting and the like.  Oh, and dying in Adventure Mode is still considered 'Game Over', even if your body is revived on the next frame.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 11, 2012, 09:17:50 am »

The mod's standpoint on death will follow the FF route.

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 13, 2012, 03:02:00 pm »

Okay I figured out a third option for the Qu's blue magic other than being supernatural or making meat carry an igestible syndrome.  It is to actually implement an "Eat" command, even though it doesn't eat the enemy, renaming it perhaps.

It works by adding the ingestible tags from the clean command to an attack interaction and having the monsters excrete a substance that has the ingestible syndrome on it like the meat idea from earlier.  I'm currently calling it "lick", and having the Qu's lick syndrome inducing toads in the arena.

I haven't brooke out my Final Fantasy IX disk in a while, so is Eat in the battle menu, or a specific attack?  If it's in the battle menu I should leave it as a natural ability,  but if it's an attack I know of a way to make an interaction part of an attack.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 03:09:03 pm by Courtesy Arloban »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 23