Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 153

Author Topic: My Little Pony, Friendship Is Magic  (Read 216581 times)

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
Re: My Little Pony, Friendship Is Magic
« Reply #435 on: October 26, 2011, 01:47:16 pm »

I don't really like THE SHOW IS A HORRIFYING DYSTOPIA! line of thinking. I prefer the Equestria is fine, but after this fanfic it'll be Hell on Earth line of thinking.
I know it's not a dystopia. Hell, it probably is a utopia.

Just I like dystopia's better  :P

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: October 26, 2011, 01:48:39 pm »

I prefer the "Equestria is nowhere near utopia, but it's far superior to the quality of life here on Earth and it's going to take a hell of a lot to change that" line of thinking, myself. Part of why I'm not going to help much with the sequel is that I'm pretty sure that the AU being made is going to clash heavily with my thoughts on the matter and I won't be able to write it right.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 01:52:39 pm by TheBronzePickle »
Nothing important here, move along.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: October 26, 2011, 02:00:04 pm »

You can always write your own, where everyone dies horribly. I would like to take it out of its current nosedive and gradually level it out and up to end up a little above sea level.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: October 26, 2011, 02:00:58 pm »

Utopia: Where all your worries are inconsequential and petty, taken up a notch.  Bam.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: October 26, 2011, 02:10:21 pm »

I don't really like THE SHOW IS A HORRIFYING DYSTOPIA! line of thinking. I prefer the Equestria is fine, but after this fanfic it'll be Hell on Earth line of thinking.

But see, under the line of reasoning I took, it isn't. Celestia is a relatively benevolent immortal monarch/goddess who occasionally takes reasonable measures to protect her subjects/worshippers. Simply put, "some bad things happening" =/= "HORRIFYING DYSTOPIA". England in A Clockwork Orange was at best mildly dystopic (that is the correct form for that, isn't it?  :P) by today's standards. Most modern nations are far worse than it in many respects, and we don't consider ourselves to be living in a dystopian world. By comparison, Equestria really is a land of rainbows and sunshine, even if it were canon that Celestia commited acts of xenocide in the past to protect her subjects.

The line of thought where she is a merciless, iron-hooved totalitarian who has mind-controlled every pony into believing that they live wonderful lives is dystopian. One where a leader takes necessary steps to protect her people from being eaten alive is not.

Re: Spike as child slave. No, he isn't. For a perfect example of imprintation of dragons on caretakers of other species, see The Dragonriders of Pern. In both situations the relationship is mutualistic. Regarding the idea of wild/tame dragons, I think that, as pony civilization is at minimum more than 1,000 years old, it is much more likely that this sort of relationship between dragons and ponykind has existed for a very long time, and that dragons living in the wild are dragons who were once in a similar situation, and left for an independent life once their companion/caretaker died. Hence why the adult dragon was familiar with ponies, as well as being fairly friendly once he wasn't being assaulted or woken up from a nap.

Utopia: Where all your worries are inconsequential and petty, taken up a notch.  Bam.

Different =/= inconsequential and petty. Just because ponies have different types of problems and conflicts, or that they endeavour to resolve them quickly, doesn't mean that they don't matter, or are somehow false. I made my stance abundantly clear on a certain other thread, and if need be I will repeat it here.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: October 26, 2011, 02:15:25 pm »

But see, under the line of reasoning I took, it isn't.

I know it isn't. It's a damn fine place. I just like fanfics that make it utter hell by a logical progression of events.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: October 26, 2011, 02:18:47 pm »

Well, of course it's a utopia! It doesn't exist!

Now, a eutopia, on the other hand...
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: October 26, 2011, 02:19:30 pm »

The egg is not incubated and likely unfertilized.

The egg was obviously fertilized. Spike was a baby dragon, not a mass of jelly.

we don't know whether this is a standard entrance exam or a special occasion.

Watch the sequence. The examiners were clearly bored and impatiant about the whole affair. Celestia isn't even in the building during the exam. She didn't take notice of it until after Spike's head smashed through the roof. There's no indication that anything about the exam is special until Twilight's eyes go white and she engulfs the room in magical lightning and starts turning ponies into plants.

Furthermore, we haven't seen any other unicorns that have servants or assistants.

We also haven't seen any other unicorns who are students at Celestia's school for gifted magicians.

We don't know whether the baby dragon was handed out to
Twilight or whether she chose to care for him.

Does that matter? We do know that ponies have a dragon egg, and are using it to test the magical abilities of students. Whether she chose to take him or was ordered to doesn't really matter. Unicorns are using baby dragons to test magical ability, and they aren't giving them back to dragons afterwards.

Twilight was probably the exception to the entire system
in that she did something that should have been impossible.

What reason do you have to assume this? Again, by every indication, this was a totally standard exam deserving of no special notice, and the examiners aren't shown reacting to the egg hatching, only to Twilight's magical outburst.

EDIT:
Also, remember Dragonshy? The episode where they confront a dragon? Spike stays home.

Think about it.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: October 26, 2011, 02:21:26 pm »

So you're saying the examiners are reacting to the only thing that could cause the egg to hatch?

Hmmmm. I wonder.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: October 26, 2011, 02:25:54 pm »

So you're saying the examiners are reacting to the only thing that could cause the egg to hatch?

Hmmmm. I wonder.

They were reacting to the fact that she grew him to full size as well as hatching him, or the whole 'egg test' is really some sort of mental exam  to see how long potential students will go along blindly with their instructions until they decide to do things a different way. In either case, it is a reasonable explanation for Celestia taking Twi under her wing.

3. Run Resize Enable

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: October 26, 2011, 02:26:13 pm »

No, well, normally the examinee - if successful - would just hatch the egg and be done with it. Twilight, on the other hand, went supercritical instead.

And the reason she was given a dragonling is because said dragonling acts as a message exchange/mini-mail-delivery system. Such dragonlings might not be common, but they are probably widespread enough - in Canterlot and similarly important places, which are mostly very far from Ponyville.

As for Celestia taking Twilight under her wing - she probably saw that, unlike most merely "magical" unicorns, she was indeed talented, even meant for magic. Considering that Celestia was aware of the Nightmare Moon's impending return, she saw Twilight as a potential carrier of the Element of Magic.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 02:29:09 pm by Sean Mirrsen »

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: October 26, 2011, 02:35:32 pm »

This is a screenshot from fully five seconds after the egg has hatched:

See how unconcerned the examiner looks? They don't react to the sonic rainboom outside, or to the egg hatching or to the initial magical outburst. They do react when Twilight engulfs them in lightning and then turns her parents into plants.

No indication that the egg hatching was anything out of the ordinary.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: October 26, 2011, 02:39:54 pm »

Not to be picky or anything, but Twilight only turned her parents into plants. The examiners mostly just hovered.

Also, nice frame catch. The examiners did look concerned with the magical outburst, they mostly shielded their eyes against it before it engulfed them.

Also, the parents' reaction is very believable. :)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 02:42:31 pm by Sean Mirrsen »

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: October 26, 2011, 02:45:09 pm »

Twilight only turned her parents into plants.

Ok, fixed.

The examiners did look concerned with the magical outburst,
they mostly shielded their eyes against it before it engulfed them.

Yes, they do react when the entire room is engulfed.

They don't react to the egg hatching.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: October 26, 2011, 02:48:08 pm »

Twilight only turned her parents into plants.

Ok, fixed.

The examiners did look concerned with the magical outburst,
they mostly shielded their eyes against it before it engulfed them.

Yes, they do react when the entire room is engulfed.

They don't react to the egg hatching.

One could argue that they had slightly more pressing concerns.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 153