Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 720849 times)

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #180 on: January 01, 2012, 04:30:36 am »

Posting to watch, like I often do with these US political threads. Your political system is insane, (I don't mean that in a derogatory sense, just that it seems to often work counter to it's stated goals, and is thus either deceptive or delusional) but damn me if it doesn't make an entertaining case study.
That said, anything is more interesting than modern Australian politics; it basically comes down to minimal corruption, fair bit of backroom politicking, absolute shit-tons of boredom.

Earlier comments on this thread about electoral reform caught my eye though; what exactly would be required to transition the system from electoral college to direct representation? It seems to me that that might go a long way to restoring some confidence in the system with ordinary voters... at the very least, it would increase the transparency of the system to a slight degree.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #181 on: January 01, 2012, 04:36:17 am »

Rick Santorum actually had one of the most prescient descriptions of how people will view the Iowa Caucus results, right before he suddenly exploded in daily tracking (if you'll pardon the entendre).
Link? All I get is Urban Dictionary, and you know for what.

I just looked at Iowacausus.biz, and holy shit those polls. Is Ron Paul winning?
You're a bit late there. Ron Paul has not only been winning in the past month, but his lead has actually expanded.

By the way, why do people like Gary Johnson but not Paul? They have almost exactly the same views.

Ron Paul wants to systematically destroy the FDA and EPA, which would wreak havoc with so many basic safeties.  He also wishes to erode away safety nets and further reduce the standard of living of the already shrinking middle class.  On top of that, deregulating corporations and letting them do whatever they want, while weakening federal oversights.  It's almost literally a roadmap to turn the United States into a 3rd world country.
Because corporations have zero power at all right now. Yeah, they definitely don't have the power to influence anything like SOPA.

And you know, it's not like you could just not buy from the fucking corporations.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 04:38:26 am by ECrownofFire »

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 01, 2012, 04:42:45 am »

I've been without internet for a while. When I left it was Newt.

Earlier comments on this thread about electoral reform caught my eye though; what exactly would be required to transition the system from electoral college to direct representation? It seems to me that that might go a long way to restoring some confidence in the system with ordinary voters... at the very least, it would increase the transparency of the system to a slight degree.
Constitutional amendment. I believe 2/3rds of all the states would have to ratify it. It's not common, but it can be done. Here's how it can be done:

2/3rd of the House and Senate would have to draft it, and then it goes out to the states for possible ratification, requiring 3/4ths.
2/3rds of the State legislatures get together to make one, and then it goes to Congress for a 3/4ths ratification in both divisions.

The States have never called an amendment convention, IIRC.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #183 on: January 01, 2012, 04:50:44 am »

I've been without internet for a while. When I left it was Newt.

Constitutional amendment. I believe 2/3rds of all the states would have to ratify it. It's not common, but it can be done. Here's how it can be done:

2/3rd of the House and Senate would have to draft it, and then it goes out to the states for possible ratification, requiring 3/4ths.
2/3rds of the State legislatures get together to make one, and then it goes to Congress for a 3/4ths ratification in both divisions.

There's also this, which is an interstate compact.

And individual states can choose to go proportional for the electoral college. 2 states have adapted something vaguely proportional (Maine/Nebraska).

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 01, 2012, 06:30:20 am »

By the way, why do people like Gary Johnson but not Paul? They have almost exactly the same views.

Because the few views they have that differ are really rather major, and Paul has shown either a severe racist+homophobic streak OR he's shown an inability to delegate to responsible people (interpret his newsletters however you wish, no reasonable interpretation reflects well on his abilities as president.

Paul has also made it quite clear he's willing to overrule the supreme court on any issue near and dear to his heart, and he's obsessed with getting back on the gold stadard.

So, I'm going to turn this around:
How can people support Paul when Gary Johnson has practically the same views but without the worst parts of them?

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 01, 2012, 06:50:27 am »

Posting to watch this as well. Seems like the lack of actual political parties doesn't mean you have a lack of people to vote on.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 01, 2012, 06:56:59 am »

There's also this, which is an interstate compact.

And individual states can choose to go proportional for the electoral college. 2 states have adapted something vaguely proportional (Maine/Nebraska).

Hmm, so given the difficulties of achieving a nationwide change, you would be better suited to lobby your state's... senate(?... Whatever the state-level governing body is called) to change to a proportional method, and aim to update the system piecewise. To all you apathetic types, here's something you can work on without having to vote for anyone, while still doing your bit to help the country.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 01, 2012, 07:03:09 am »

Wikipedia is a bit vague about it. What exactly is the practical difference between electoral college and 'normal' elections?
I remember something about a US president who had less vote than his adversary but still won. Is this because of electoral college?

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 01, 2012, 07:10:55 am »

Basically the more people in congress a state has, the more electoral votes they have. Usually those electoral votes will go towards whoever won the popular vote in that state, although I believe there are a few states which don't have to do that.

Bigger states have more electoral votes, so that's why you'll see presidential candidates only going to the bigger states. And yes, when Al Gore was going against George W. Bush, Al Gore got the popular vote but George W. Bush got more electoral votes.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 01, 2012, 07:12:55 am »

To build on Bdthemag's summation, from earlier in the thread, Barbarossa and Mego's posts give a pretty good rundown of the effects.

Once. Gore won the first time.
Explain.
Gore had more of the popular vote, meaning he had more numerical votes, meaning that the populace chose him. The Supreme Court decided to stop the recounts when Bush was declared 'ahead'. It went to the Supreme Court because of the system of the 'Electoral College', an outmoded system giving states a 'point value' based on the number of senators (2) and representatives (1 or more, based on population) in the state. Bush had more of the Electoral College, and Gore had the popular vote. The Supreme Court (then primarily Republican) pretty much chose Bush on their own accord.

You just became my new favorite person to talk to about politics. Not that I like Gore more than Bush, or vice-versa, but I dislike the Electoral College in its very principle, for 3 reasons:

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 01, 2012, 07:13:24 am »

Yeah. Basically, the practical difference is that with the electoral college, whoever wins the state wins all the votes. If it's a 51/49 split, because of the way that college bit tends to work, that 49% goes toward supporting whatever the 51% voted for.

Gets me frankly riled up some days, because it can mean that not only is your vote not counting for what you wanted it to, it's actually counting against your intent.

Also ninja'd, of course. More detail above :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 01, 2012, 07:16:37 am »

Yeah, the Electoral college is pretty stupid. Hell, most people I know don't even know what it is.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 01, 2012, 07:31:19 am »

Thanks for the explanations.
Any reason why it hasn't been changed yet? Besides the fact that change is scary and evil and communist.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 07:35:00 am by Dutchling »

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 01, 2012, 08:05:50 am »

Thanks for the explanations.
Any reason why it hasn't been changed yet? Besides the fact that change is scary and evil and communist.
Broadly? This.

Because EC votes are assigned by your congressional delegation and the smallest possible delegation is 3 people (2 senators, 1 representative) even a state with a tiny population get a voice. Wyoming there only accounted for 0.17% of the US population in the 2004 election. They sent 0.55% of the electoral votes.

The argument is without the EC allowing even low population states to have a voice like this, presidential candidates would only need to campaign in or appeal to major population centres and metropolitan areas.

It also keeps a lot of authority over elections within the state. Methods, recounts, etc. are all within the purview of state government. Moving to a popular vote system would require standardisation and probably federal oversight.

And then there is the fact that it props up the two party system. Hard to abolish the thing that keeps those in charge of abolishing it in power.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 01, 2012, 03:45:34 pm »

As it is, presidential candidates only need to campaign in states where the electorate is closely split, i.e. "battleground states". California is basically guaranteed to vote Democrat, so it's much more important to campaign in states like Ohio and Nevada.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 714