Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 717516 times)

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #240 on: January 02, 2012, 10:31:46 pm »

Oh of course it is unconstitutional, immoral, whatever.  It's just that some people truly have that mindset.  Hence Joe Arpaio not beIng tried for his crimes.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 02, 2012, 10:32:40 pm »

Oh of course it is unconstitutional, immoral, whatever.  It's just that some people truly have that mindset.  Hence Joe Arpaio not beIng tried for his crimes.
The same people also tend to call themselves "pro-life". But that's for another thread.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 02, 2012, 10:37:27 pm »

Regardless, if someone truly believes that prison is about punishing and torturing more than it is about rehabilitating criminals, to the point that dehumanizing and allowing inmates to die in actual prison camps, they are not someone you should revere or put in a position of authority.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 02, 2012, 10:38:43 pm »

Oh, I agree. Didn't mean to imply otherwise.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 02, 2012, 10:41:29 pm »

No worries.  I am posting from my phone so things are kinda stilted on my end.

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
  • Sweet flaming monkey fire WHY are they doing that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 03, 2012, 01:14:28 am »

I always thought the justice and prison system should be more about prevention rather then punishment. I reckon crime would drop if you had televised executions for the worst criminals, Like child molesters and rapists. Make it into a game show. or something like gladiators or takeshi's castle.
"I'm sorry the correct answer is ohio. HANG HIM."

I'm joking of course, but still, If you want to threaten people into being nice you gatta use BIG threats.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 03, 2012, 01:17:40 am »

I always thought the justice and prison system should be more about prevention rather then punishment. I reckon crime would drop if you had televised executions for the worst criminals, Like child molesters and rapists. Make it into a game show. or something like gladiators or takeshi's castle.

I'm joking of course, but still, If you want to threaten people into being nice you gatta use BIG threats.
Yeah, that doesn't actually work. They've checked with, yanno', years and years of research. Be nice (in a sense) if it did, because then we'd have a fairly straightforward way of going about it.

Back to the candidacy stuff. Anything particularly mindbogglingly ridiculous happen in the last day or so?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 01:59:30 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 03, 2012, 01:24:23 am »

Back to the candidacy stuff. Anything particularly mindbogglingly ridiculous happen in the last day or so?
Ron Paul hasn't been smote by lightning yet, that's mindboggling by itself

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 03, 2012, 01:27:42 am »

Only proves that if there is a God, He is smart enough to keep out of politics.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 03, 2012, 01:38:16 am »

Not that I've seen on the news, but who knows. When does the caucus actually occur?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: January 03, 2012, 02:00:54 am »

Later today.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: January 03, 2012, 02:15:18 am »

Posting to watch.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: January 03, 2012, 02:27:24 am »

The "Vlad the Impaler" view of the justice system has been shown by research and experience to only work in extreme circumstances. For example, you could probably get results from such a strategy in Somalia, but not in the United States.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 03, 2012, 02:28:20 am »

Yeah, that doesn't actually work. They've checked with, yanno', years and years of research. Be nice (in a sense) if it did, because then we'd have a fairly straightforward way of going about it.

Nah, it has been proven to work.
It doesn't work very well, but it still works to some degree, although there are far better and more effective means to reduce criminal activity.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 03, 2012, 02:52:02 am »

Nah, it has been proven to work.
It doesn't work very well, but it still works to some degree, although there are far better and more effective means to reduce criminal activity.
Ah, sorry, I guess I should have been more clear. From what I remember (fairly well, it's only been a few months) that kind of action doesn't actually have much impact on the sort of crimes Monkey was talking about; child molestation, rape, murder, etc. Generally threat of punishment, even great punishment, doesn't even register to the folks committing that sort of act (especially when they're crimes of passion, not premeditation.). There certainly isn't (or wasn't, again, a few months ago) enough statistical correlation to even remotely support it as a viable and effective means to deal with the crimes themselves.

It might work in a few isolated cases (This is what we call an outlier, folks~), but that's (terrifyingly) insufficient for moral justification (And we've got problems if we're basing our justice system off something else.). By that same sort of reasoning, it'd be a good idea to murder literally everyone, because it'd prevent a few crimes. After all, mass murder prevents crimes, right? Bound to kill a few (eventually) guilty folks in there, sooner or later.

... but I'll stop now, I think. I've seen this argument gone over a couple times on this board already :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 714