Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 721151 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #1245 on: January 27, 2012, 12:04:15 am »

They see the writings on the wall, and are looking to get a Conservative Stronghold on the dusty rock in space, where they can hold a nuclear gun to the planet to get their terms dictated.

... Or something.

/tinfoilhat.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: January 27, 2012, 12:05:51 am »

I think they want to send all the gays and brown people there.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: January 27, 2012, 12:07:58 am »

I'm sure 10% gravity moonhomosex would be -awesome-.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: January 27, 2012, 12:16:35 am »

You guys are nuts. A project to build a moon base is a retarded idea and it would further bankrupt the country for no reason whatsoever.
Yeah, but the point is it'd be at least an interesting way of further bankrupting the country for no reason whatsoever. Which is better than a lot of stuff the politicians are pulling out of their arses.

I mean, shit, it's 2012. Yes, the internet thing is really damn interesting, and computing and stuff is totally in the sci-fi realm now, and yeah, yeah, we're getting closer to the stereotypical cyborg, but we were promised moon bases and flying cars, damnit. And they haven't gotten the latter cheap enough for mass production yet... or very effective, really.

So moon base, yanno'? It's harder to worry about the erosion of civil liberties when the folks on the podium are going, "M'fookin' moon base 凹(゚Д゚)凹"

E:
I'm sure 10% gravity moonhomosex would be -awesome-.
I think they've got like, wind chambers or something that can mimic that already. No idea how much it'd cost (or if it were legal) to have a go in one of 'em, though. So that's a testable hypothesis :P
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 12:21:57 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: January 27, 2012, 12:17:20 am »

You guys are nuts. A project to build a moon base is a retarded idea and it would further bankrupt the country for no reason whatsoever.

Anyways, didn't GW Bush mention something about wanting to build a base on the moon toward the later parts of his presidency? Is this suddenly some sort of neo-conservative ideological goal now? I'm not feeling this moon base vibe at all, man.
There is probably stuff we can learn from on the moon, and definitely stuff we can learn through the trial of building a base there. Also it probably wouldn't end up costing us all that much in the big picture. A drop in the bucket, because the bucket is 17 Trillion drops large in this case.

And if we ever need to get a head start on getting us some of that delicious He3...

(Also, we could rename the nation The United States of Amero-Moonica if we ever founded a state up there. That's a plus, probably.)
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: January 27, 2012, 12:19:31 am »

Sadly, moonbases will have to wait. Aren't those futures filled with flying cars also usually shining utopias of peace and harmony? At least, the 50s versions were. Since we have nothing remotely resembling a utopia yet, no moon base. Think of it as an incentive  ;)
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: January 27, 2012, 12:54:28 am »

Actually, moon bases are pretty common in dystopias too, though usually dystopias can actually afford stuff

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: January 27, 2012, 01:00:37 am »

Which is a failing of authors since we know that real oppressive regimes are not productive entities. Sure, you can treat your entire population like slaves, but you'll grind their will to function and produce for the nation down to almost nothing.

And absolutely nothing will be able to save you if they ever rise up. Nothing.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: January 27, 2012, 01:07:53 am »

You wound, me good sir. No good reason? Truly? Alas, my highest ideals apparently aren't worth the dirt on your boots. So be it!

But seriously, I can't think of a better thing to spend tax money on.

Canalan

• Bay Watcher
  • A Chainsaw! Find some meat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: January 27, 2012, 01:13:22 am »

You wound, me good sir. No good reason? Truly? Alas, my highest ideals apparently aren't worth the dirt on your boots. So be it!

Mars Colony.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: January 27, 2012, 01:24:36 am »

Mars Colony.

The cheapest way to colonize mars is to colonize the moon and then build your colony ship on the moon.  Then you get to mars and you realize there's bugger there and you go back to the moon which at least could be exploited for resources if you colonize it.

If you think the country is broke then you should be criticizing the parts of the budget that are actually substantial.  NASA's budget is tiny compared to something like defense and NASA has produced a very good return on investment with stuff like all those satellites that relay our communications, monitor our weather, give us the data for physics, etc.  It's not like people are just proposing a moon colony for shits and giggles, they are actually expecting a return on investment like the space program produced.

The mars colony is for shits and giggles.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: January 27, 2012, 01:28:12 am »

Back on topic...

Newt is soaring ahead of Romney in Florida and nationally in certain polls, which means that Republicans will in fact take a double adulterer Washington insider over the Mormon businessman Washington Insider.

That's a great choice Republicans. Independents just love Newt Gingrich.

It's pretty wild too, considering Newt has no campaign organisation to speak of and was pretty much out of cash to campaign with.

If you're one for schadenfreude, just imagine if Romney spends all this money just to lose to Gingrich in the primary, which Obama defeats handily in the general election for a second term. Then Romney's taxes will go up.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 01:33:41 am by KaelGotDwarves »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: January 27, 2012, 01:35:32 am »

Education? Bringing down the national debt? Furthering science and knowledge? Sustainable power, water, and food? All of these things are far more important, and those last three would be tremendous help in actually running a moon colony once we got around to it.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Canalan

• Bay Watcher
  • A Chainsaw! Find some meat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: January 27, 2012, 01:39:18 am »

I don't understand Newt's appeal.  He sounds like he just inhaled a liter of helium, he looks like the Winston Churchill babby, his personal life sounds like the parody of a politician's personal life, his positions are utterly retarded, and he promised us a moon base, which he won't be able to deliver.  Is it the moon base?  Are people really that stupid?

Someone please explain this to me.  And I get that his positions are in line with the Republican platforms and whatnot, I just don't understand how humans can like this person.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: January 27, 2012, 01:50:26 am »

Education?
Suffers from systemic problems, yes, but I honestly see spending the money directly on education doing less to inspire students to go into productive science careers than a moon base. In fact, wasn't the whole space race thing a huge boon for education? It captured people's minds, and suddenly education became a national priority because we had some real scientific, technological goal to look forward to together, as a society.

PLUS we get a moon base.

Thus, I think the moon base is a better investment.

Bringing down the national debt?
Not quite seeing how this is better than a moon base. Sure, it would be nice if it happened, but not only is it not gonna, but shit - do you know HOW MANY moon bases we could buy with the amount of money it would take to pay that down? Probably some asteroid bases and even a mars base too. Sorry, dollar for dollar, moon base wins. (Mostly because that's a lot of dollars)

Furthering science and knowledge?

Nothing furthers knowledge and science more than getting our culture to look up and think about knowledge and science. And nothing has proven more effective at doing that than expanding the frontiers of space, filling them with a sense of awe, wonder, and a real feeling of possibility. And there's not much that can do that quite as well as a moon base. (Especially if we taunt China about how we're going to build a moon base, and they decide to try for it too. Progress, ho!)

Sustainable power, water, and food?
I'm not sure what you mean by this. But I feel that whatever you mean, exactly, the research poured into a moon base could only help.

Sorry, dude - Moon Base wins.
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 714