Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 717490 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #1230 on: January 26, 2012, 09:50:07 pm »

I'm seriously impressed. How does this election keep managing to top itself for peak absurdity? I predict that, in response, Romney will endorse Stalin as an example of an effective leader, and then spend weeks explaining that he didn't mean to endorse all of Stalin's policies but only to point out that he was good at getting results.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: January 26, 2012, 09:51:13 pm »

Newt Gingrich promises moon base by the end of his second term.

Sane people: "Let's fix the country."

Newt: "TO THE MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!"
I love space and science and stuff as much as the next nerd, and would LOVE to go to space sometime in my life, but seriously...there are more important things, Newt.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: January 26, 2012, 09:53:13 pm »

I like the moonbase idea.

Bold
May the mass times acceleration be with you

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #1233 on: January 26, 2012, 09:53:37 pm »

I'm seriously impressed. How does this election keep managing to top itself for peak absurdity? I predict that, in response, Romney will endorse Stalin as an example of an effective leader, and then spend weeks explaining that he didn't mean to endorse all of Stalin's policies but only to point out that he was good at getting results.
Nah, Romney would say he endorses Stalin, then Gingrich and Santorum would say they do too (with Paul saying they're all insane). Then Romney turns around and says he doesn't endorse Stalin, only that he got good results, and Gingrich and Santorum would attack him for supporting Stalin. And Paul would say they're all insane.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: January 26, 2012, 10:06:00 pm »

And Paul would be entirely correct.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: January 26, 2012, 10:09:53 pm »

And Paul would be entirely correct.

An insane clock is right an insanely large number of times a day.  :-\
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: January 26, 2012, 10:11:18 pm »

Wouldn't that make them... sane? If you know, they're right all the time.

I suppose the egregiousness of the times they are wrong could call into question their sanity.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: January 26, 2012, 10:12:14 pm »

A stopped clock is right twice a day, but one that runs backward is right four times (numbers-wise at least).
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: January 26, 2012, 10:12:57 pm »

Calling the GOP candidates insane does not make you sane. It just means you're functioning on a very basic mental level. The next step up is breathing.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: January 26, 2012, 10:20:49 pm »

Alright, I like space exploration as much as the next liberal nerd on the internet, but a moon base in eight years is totally unfeasible. Just return meaningful funding to NASA and let them do what they think is best.
Not to mention the whole "doesn't even have ONE term" thing.

Also missing the part where Gingrich's plan for a moonbase by 2020 (possibly large enough to apply for statehood, apparently) is to effectively eliminate NASA completely, and wait for the Invisible Hand of the Free Market to find some magical reason to go to the moon on spec.  This may include government "prizes" in the vein of the X-Prize, which I suppose is forward thinking in its own way.  Instead of throwing government money at a government-owned industry, just throw the money out the window and hope somebody does something useful with it.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: January 26, 2012, 10:27:01 pm »

Alright, I like space exploration as much as the next liberal nerd on the internet, but a moon base in eight years is totally unfeasible. Just return meaningful funding to NASA and let them do what they think is best.

A moon base in 8 years is totally feasible, assuming there was the political will to make it happen. As I said before, if I could trust his promises would actually lead to a moon base, I would vote for the man in a heartbeat - If we're going to have the government spend bunches of money on showing off how big their dick is (i.e. the military), let's at least do something actually impressive with it and advance some god damn SCIENCE.

But, as others have pointed out, Newt is not really being serious.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: January 26, 2012, 10:28:29 pm »

That's no moon...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Completely unrelated, Romney income calculator.
Enter your annual income below to find out how long it would have taken Mitt Romney to earn the same amount of money.
Also, Bloomberg reject the most brutal cover image I've seen.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

On the moonbase thing I actually have opinionsTM, but probably a bit technical to get into here.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: January 26, 2012, 11:06:31 pm »

Personally, I'm ready to see some "South Korean legislature"-caliber brawling. The whole political theater aspect of it is starting to look like reality TV anyways, why not toss in some situational conficts which have been utterly literally engineered to explode in everyone's face?

Fix'd :D
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: January 26, 2012, 11:08:40 pm »

On the moonbase thing I actually have opinionsTM, but probably a bit technical to get into here.

Start a thread!  I would love some technical opinions myself.

If anyone is interesting, here's an old bill that Newt introduced in 1981 calling for space colonization: http://www.scribd.com/fullscreen/79483990
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: January 26, 2012, 11:58:20 pm »

You guys are nuts. A project to build a moon base is a retarded idea and it would further bankrupt the country for no reason whatsoever.

Anyways, didn't GW Bush mention something about wanting to build a base on the moon toward the later parts of his presidency? Is this suddenly some sort of neo-conservative ideological goal now? I'm not feeling this moon base vibe at all, man.
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 714