Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 717549 times)

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #1350 on: January 28, 2012, 09:53:05 pm »

To quote Admiral Adama, "The military fights the enemy, police protect the people, when the military becomes the police, the people become the enemy."

Massively paraphrased because my googlefu isn't good enough to find the actual quote/clip.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: January 28, 2012, 10:18:41 pm »

Mainiac, this year's NDAA contains a provision that allows for the indefinite detainment of US citizens by the military. Did you completely miss this?

Frankly it doesn't strike me as nearly a big a deal as the state of our homefront.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: January 28, 2012, 10:24:12 pm »

Mainiac, this year's NDAA contains a provision that allows for the indefinite detainment of US citizens by the military. Did you completely miss this?

Frankly it doesn't strike me as nearly a big a deal as the state of our homefront.
Then you and I do not see the world in the same way.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

OwlEpicurus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: January 28, 2012, 10:24:49 pm »

You're referring to Section D, right?  Actually, it specifically excludes American citizens from its provisions:

Quote from: NDAA Section D Subsection e
Nothing in this section shall be construed to affect existing law or authorities relating to the detention of United States citizens, lawful resident aliens of the United States, or any other persons who are captured or arrested in the United States.

Source: the bill as passed by Congress

That's not to say there aren't other good reasons to dislike the bill (such as the sanctions against Iran, or even the possiblity of using Section D against non-citizens captured outside the US), but unless I'm reading that section wrong then indefinite detainment of US citizens by the military is not one of them.  At least, that is no more of a problem now than it was before it was passed.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: January 28, 2012, 10:27:33 pm »

Good fortune come difficult and go easy.  Both ways often enough. 

Respect for civil rights defines generations, cannot be gained without fighting tooth and nail through great sacrifice, and disappear as soon as you're distracted.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: January 28, 2012, 10:40:54 pm »

Well I tend to see the world as being full of apocalyptic language used by lay people describing obscure wording that often doesn't mean what they think it does.

Meanwhile huge important issues are going on everyday and they will ignore them.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 10:42:35 pm by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: January 28, 2012, 11:24:37 pm »

A large portion of Americans still believe they live in the freest country in the world, too.
When Obma doesn't do shit it isn't his fault. Blame the Republicans!

I think we can all agree that Obama isn't doing much and the Republicans are fucking retarded. Next question.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: January 29, 2012, 12:03:32 am »

Well I tend to see the world as being full of apocalyptic language used by lay people describing obscure wording that often doesn't mean what they think it does.

Meanwhile huge important issues are going on everyday and they will ignore them.

I like how you subtly imply that you are less a layperson than anyone else here.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: January 29, 2012, 12:10:01 am »

And ignore all the fun stuff lawyers have been able to to do with obscure wording
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: January 29, 2012, 12:20:14 am »

All this crap makes me want to run for office, but I'd never get elected, too honest, oh and I'm an athiest, that too.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: January 29, 2012, 12:27:46 am »

All this crap makes me want to run for office, but I'd never get elected, too honest, oh and I'm an athiest, that too.

You could just lie.  It is allowed in politics
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: January 29, 2012, 12:38:20 am »

It does, however, completely defeat the purpose of his running.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: January 29, 2012, 01:21:23 am »

I like how you subtly imply that you are less a layperson than anyone else here.

Maybe I just imply that I use less apocalyptic language.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: January 29, 2012, 01:27:27 am »

I would actually be tempted to vote for someone who came out and unambiguously said that they were going to destroy the American political system. They'd either be an honest politician or they would actually put forth effort to fix the many problems with our current system. Either choice would be a pleasant change from what we've been getting for the last century.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: January 29, 2012, 02:09:33 am »

I would actually be tempted to vote for someone who came out and unambiguously said that they were going to destroy the American political system. They'd either be an honest politician or they would actually put forth effort to fix the many problems with our current system. Either choice would be a pleasant change from what we've been getting for the last century.
Thanks bro. I'd vote for that too.
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 714