Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 721295 times)

roflgar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Lethargy
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #2910 on: March 22, 2012, 06:50:39 pm »

The US has no official language. Romney didn't know that before Puerto Rico, apparently.

Don't worry, I'm sure he'll be sure to speak out against discriminating against Spanish speaking people, then leap to defend the american way (of only speaking EnglishAmerican)
NatureLabor:  largest concentration of elf-loving dwarves and a few dwarfs trying to beat that out of them.
-TerrisH

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2911 on: March 22, 2012, 08:44:54 pm »

The US has no official language. Romney didn't know that before Puerto Rico, apparently.

Don't worry, I'm sure he'll be sure to speak out against discriminating against Spanish speaking people, then leap to defend the american way (of only speaking EnglishAmerican)
yeah calling it english would make Mitt seem too foriegn  :P.
you can't just go up to people and get laid.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2912 on: March 23, 2012, 12:03:10 am »

I knew that Santorum gaffed on the Puerto Rico language thing, but Romney too?? Link?

I think I'd rather have a prick who isn't racing to disassemble our civil rights, than a suave democratic president who is more than willing to shred our protections for the sake of industry.

Lol, perhaps you're not cynical enough either ;)

Republicans are just as much anti-rights as anyone. Remember that a Republican controlled congress and senate passed the NDAA, but they only mention Obama's name in the news. I wonder why? I can't see any Republican president repealing this sort of thing.

More % of Republicans voted for NDAA than Democrats, but I see lots of stories claiming the Republicans are against it. Total red-herring right there. Obama did add a signing statement pledging not to use the anti-US citizen provisions of the bill. But really, he had little choice but to sign, because it's tied to the operations budget for ongoing military actions like Afghanistan. That's reality vs wishful sentiments. The idea that Obama can pull troops out of places all over the globe anytime he feels like it is nonsense. It's not just US troops, USA has friends and allies fighting around the place. They're not going to like you much if you abandon them.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 12:17:56 am by Reelya »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2913 on: March 23, 2012, 02:52:21 am »

Politics, all about shafting others by adding unrelated shit to important shit.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #2914 on: March 23, 2012, 07:10:03 am »

"Significant Evidence of Algorithmic Vote Flipping in the 2012 GOP Primary"

It's a VERY long PDF (200 pages), this is a summary.

It's... interesting, to say the least.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 07:23:57 am by ECrownofFire »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2915 on: March 23, 2012, 07:53:19 am »

Yeah....not sure what to make of that. It certainly would be easier to hide this kind of trend with a candidate like Romney because urban areas are often the last to report in, so everyone expects a bump for Romney late.

EDIT: My biggest reservation re: this honestly is that it seems to have been a product of the Ron Paul crowd, and frankly there's never been a conspiracy story they didn't like. There's also a distinct lack of sourcing on data. How were they able to get the precinct-level data *in the order it was tabulated*? Where's the link to that data so someone can independently construct their own analysis?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 07:58:54 am by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2916 on: March 23, 2012, 09:34:46 am »

"Significant Evidence of Algorithmic Vote Flipping in the 2012 GOP Primary"

It's a VERY long PDF (200 pages), this is a summary.

It's... interesting, to say the least.
With this in hand, I want to see voter fraud.  That would just top the whole Republican train wreck quite nicely.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2917 on: March 23, 2012, 09:49:42 am »

Someone should tell the Republicans that they should save their vote rigging Ace-In-The-Hole for the general elections.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #2918 on: March 23, 2012, 09:50:47 am »

Each party has the right to pick its candidate as it sees fit. Either by appointment, vote or some other method. As skeezy and dishonest that manipulation of primary voting appears to be, as far as I know it isn't explicitly illegal. Doing the same thing in an actual election however, would be another matter.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2919 on: March 23, 2012, 10:05:47 am »

Each party has the right to pick its candidate as it sees fit. Either by appointment, vote or some other method. As skeezy and dishonest that manipulation of primary voting appears to be, as far as I know it isn't explicitly illegal. Doing the same thing in an actual election however, would be another matter.
I'm pretty sure electoral fraud is illegal in primaries as well.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2920 on: March 23, 2012, 10:13:37 am »

I'm pretty sure electoral fraud is illegal in primaries as well.
Going forward, even if it isn't illegal, they've basically shot themselves in the foot their own leg off anyways...

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #2921 on: March 23, 2012, 10:19:14 am »

We can hope so, at least.

I wonder what 2016 will hold. I hope the Republicans nominate Huntsman. I like Huntsman. His tax stance is not exactly to be praised, but you can't have everything, and he's certainly sane.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2922 on: March 23, 2012, 10:21:17 am »

I will continue to give my vote to anyone who opposes the war on some drugs, as long as they are at least moderately sane.

My vote will likely remain buried, untouched, in the back yard.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2923 on: March 23, 2012, 10:53:12 am »

Yeah, 2016 might be wild. I can't seriously see the Democrats lining up behind Biden as the heir-apparent, assuming Obama wins this fall. Might be another scenario like 2008 where there's no incumbent or Vice President running and it's a real free-for-all.

I still have hopes that Brian Schweitzer (Dem. Governor of Montana) make take a shot at the WH. Eh is a cool guy who uses a branding iron to veto shit and doesn't afraid of anything.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2924 on: March 23, 2012, 01:30:28 pm »

Out on the campaign trail, Rick Santorum kinda sorta said he'd rather see Obama reelected than Mitt Romney win.

"You win by giving people a choice," Santorum said during a campaign stop in Texas. "You win by giving people the opportunity to see a different vision for our country, not someone who's just going to be a little different than the person in there."

Santorum added: "If they're going to be a little different, we might as well stay with what we have instead of taking a risk of what may be the Etch A Sketch candidate for the future."

80% chance he sets the land speed record for backpedaling, 20% chance he doubles down and makes "a vote for Romney might as well be a vote for Obama" his new stump speech.  No doubt he's taking shitloads of heat for it, but the grand irony is that people like George Will and William F. Buckley have been basically saying the same thing since January.

Yeah, 2016 might be wild. I can't seriously see the Democrats lining up behind Biden as the heir-apparent, assuming Obama wins this fall. Might be another scenario like 2008 where there's no incumbent or Vice President running and it's a real free-for-all.

I still have hopes that Brian Schweitzer (Dem. Governor of Montana) make take a shot at the WH. Eh is a cool guy who uses a branding iron to veto shit and doesn't afraid of anything.

Speaking hypothetically of an Obama reelection, I can't even see Biden running in 2016.  He'll only be a year or two older than John McCain was when he ran in 2008, but that would still make him the oldest man ever to run for President.  I do kinda expect Hilary Clinton to run, and while I also expect her to lose the nomination again, I can't imagine to whom.  How many Democrats are there with the national recognition and wherewithal to run after two terms of a Democrat President?  Brian Schweitzer's not impossible, but he sounds more like "also-ran to VP" material; Jennifer Granholm maybe; Bill Richardson will probably run again; I've heard mention of Andrew Cuomo, who's certainly in the realm of possibility, and that's everyone I can think of.  There's a few other governors out there like Bev Perdue who might think they can try, and that's enough for a field, but none I can see as of now winning against what's likely to be a very well bolstered Republican opposition.

Honestly, if Obama does get reelected, he'd have to learn to walk on water like Reagan and FDR if he hopes to see the third time in a century for a successor of the same party after two terms.  A lot of people are wondering why there's all these "reasonable" republicans like Chris Christie sitting out this election, and the easiest guess is because they know 2016 will almost automatically go to the Republican.

Yes, that was an FDR joke.  Savor it.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 ... 714