Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 217 218 [219] 220 221 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 721035 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #3270 on: April 28, 2012, 09:29:34 pm »

So... there was a little buzz about Obama over the last couple pages, but I was disappointed by how it played out.  I know I've weighed on this before in the early days of this thread, so I'll try to make it worthwhile by being more informative.

I'm not sure you can exactly say that he's expanded the scope and powers of the intelligence community, but he has actively worked to maintain the unhealthy level of power that the Bush administration set up before him.  Then there's that whole secrecy thing...

Most notably, the infamous Patriot Act used to require yearly extensions, and in 2011 many republicans were even beginning to question its legitimacy after 10 years of being highly controversial and well known as a source of abuse.  Then Obama himself said 'Hey let's go ahead and extend that for 4 years this time', and signed that extension a couple months later, without even making any significant attempt to reform the act in the process as far as I'm aware.

The ratio of Freedom of Information Act requests denied by the government has significantly increased under Obama as compared to Bush.  You could say that this would be a failure but not necessarily a misdeed on his part, but then I don't understand why he would blatantly lie about the actions and achievements of his administration when confronted on the issue.  There have been many complaints about agencies, including some which Obama should have significant influence over as commander-in-chief, adopting extremely prohibitive new FOIA request processes since he took office.

Most alarmingly, the DoJ tried to push a new set of rules for FOIA requests in 2011, most infamously including the ability to respond to a request as if the documents in question don't even exist.  There's a good summary of the implications of this here

There are two problems with the Obama proposal to allow federal officials to affirmatively assert that a requested document doesn't exist when it does. First, by not citing a specific exemption allowed under the FOIA as grounds for denying a request, the proposal would cut off a requestor from appealing to the courts. By thus creating an area of federal activity that is completely exempt from judicial review, the proposal undercuts due process and other constitutional protections. Second, by creating a justification for government lying to FOIA requestors in one area, a legal precedent is created that sooner or later will be asserted by the government in other areas as well.

This is widely considered to directly reflect Obama's personal stance, since the people responsible for this proposal were appointed by and directly report to him.

So the only sources of information on government (and corporate in areas where the lines between the two tend to blur) behavior we're left with are what they feel like telling us and whistleblowers.  Great, because Obama pledged to improve protections for whistleblowers, right?

Protect Whistleblowers: Often the best source of information about waste, fraud, and abuse in government is an existing government employee committed to public integrity and willing to speak out. Such acts of courage and patriotism, which can sometimes save lives and often save taxpayer dollars, should be encouraged rather than stifled. We need to empower federal employees as watchdogs of wrongdoing and partners in performance. Barack Obama will strengthen whistleblower laws to protect federal workers who expose waste, fraud, and abuse of authority in government. Obama will ensure that federal agencies expedite the process for reviewing whistleblower claims and whistleblowers have full access to courts and due process.

Actually, his administration has been the harshest on whistleblowers in American history by every possible metric.  Bradley Manning may be the highest profile case, where Obama has been explicity approving of his inhumane treatment and has even lied about the circumstances of the case, but he is far from the only one.  Apparently the information you expose to the public doesn't even have to be classified (though it's a miracle if you find anything that isn't).

Not bad for someone who proclaimed government transparency to be one of his major platforms, and who still claims to have succeeded at giving us the most transparent government in history...

Just for fun, I'll throw in his escalation of drone warfare, which is a human rights disaster

The war in Iraq is not over, as much as Obama loves to take credit for that.  It's just being fought almost exclusively by mercenaries like Blackwater now.  Blackwater themselves are getting contracts again, too, but under the name Academi.  They have to change names every couple years because their extralegal violence is so infamous.  Hell of a comforting thought, right?

And on the corporate alliance/fuck-the-environment-for-profit side of things, we have stuff like a top Monsanto VP being appointed senior food safety adviser to the FDA and approving 27 offshore drilling projects in the immediate aftermath of the Deepwater Horizon oil spill.

The reason I'm putting so much effort into this is he genuinely fucking scares me.  People who I normally consider to be well informed and intelligent actually trust him, and it scares me.  He can directly lie to the public and undermine our ability to defend ourselves against corruption, and look like some kind of superhero while he's doing it.  I don't think he's actually actually as corrupt as a republican and I do think he's actually done some good things... but all the good things he's done are related to temporary good fortunes, while the civil protections he's undermining take decades of fighting tooth and nail to get back once they're gone.  He's also setting the stage for his successors to do even more horrible things.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 10:43:31 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3271 on: April 28, 2012, 10:48:22 pm »

While it's all very troubling it's not like it's shocking or unprecedented.  This is kiddie stuff compared to the kind of stuff pulled by Regan or Nixon or LBJ or FDR...
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3272 on: April 28, 2012, 10:50:24 pm »

No, it's pretty much the same level of crazy. Now we just see more of it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3273 on: April 28, 2012, 10:51:01 pm »

The fact that's its not shocking or unprecedented is what's most disturbing about it, honestly. :/

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3274 on: April 28, 2012, 11:18:14 pm »

And on the corporate alliance/fuck-the-environment-for-profit side of things, we have stuff like a top Monsanto VP being appointed senior food safety adviser to the FDA

Not to downplay this or anything else you said, but Monsanto has had former higher-ups working in government positions for years. Check out Food, Inc. for a thorough examination of how Monsanto has been pulling legal strings to ruin people's lives.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3275 on: April 29, 2012, 01:26:23 am »

I'm not saying any of it is unprecedented (except the record-breaking prosecution of whistleblowers and perhaps the sheer absurdity of many secrecy measures) or that Obama is the worst anything ever.  I'm just saying that there are plenty of very strong and legitimate reasons not to trust or support him.  I wanted to spotlight the most clear-cut of them (that I know off the top of my head and can dig up sources on with a little bit of searching), because it seems like every critical discussion of Obama ends up being really vague or just plain crazy.  I could list more, but I would either have to do a lot more research or start getting into stuff that's based on more personal measures and interpretations. 

I can see why people would vote for him, given their range of choices.  I get nervous when people talk about him as anything better than the lesser of two evils.  Sure, put him in office to keep the other guy out of office, but then don't let his charisma lower your guard.  He needs to be kept on a very fucking tight leash.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 01:28:56 am by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3276 on: April 29, 2012, 01:41:15 am »

Gandhi could be elected president of the US*, and you'd still have to keep him on a tight leash. The American Presidency has too much power and responsibility packed into a single office.

* figure of speech, impossibility in reality
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3277 on: April 29, 2012, 02:03:41 am »

Despite the fact that the Executive is the weakest of the three branches of the government

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3278 on: April 29, 2012, 03:05:03 am »

I just remembered one thing I was planning to include in that big post.  Too delicious to let it go.

Obama publically opposed SOPA but supported ACTA.  That's been mentioned here in this thread recently, I know.  For the first time ever, I even heard an argument as to why that would kind of make sense a little, even if it's still not acceptable.  Does anyone else remember the best part about that whole ACTA thing?  Obama thought keeping it a secret from the public for as long as possible was a matter of national security :P
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3279 on: May 08, 2012, 12:13:52 pm »

Oh hey, just a reminder: there's primaries today. Specifically in Indiana, West Virginia and my home state of North Carolina, as well as special elections in Wisconsin to determine who will run in the recall election against Gov. Walker.

Particularly noteworthy on the NC ballot is a "Defense of Marriage" Amendment, which would constitutionally bar same-sex marriage (which is already illegal in NC). The fate of the amendment is up in the air. Initially it was projected to pass because of the GOP turnout for the primary, but with the primary already more or less decided (and the GOP primary for Governor is a joke...1 real candidate and 5 also-rans), GOP turnout may dwindle. And the anti-amendment forces have managed to outraise funds for the campaign at almost a 2:1 advantage against the pro-amendment camp. Maybe we'll get lucky and not reinforce the notion of North Carolina as Yet Another Redneck State.

For my part, as an Indie I could pick which ballot I wanted so I took the Republican ballot and voted for Ron Paul, just to stave off the day that Romney can officially claim the candidacy. Plus, there's a handful of GOP folks on the ballot that are actually not crazy and deserve a little love (like our Sec. of Agriculture, who's actually done a good job the last few years, especially in promoting local markets, organic farming and niche industries like zymurgy and vinoculture).

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3280 on: May 08, 2012, 12:47:27 pm »

I would like to reflect for a moment on the mindset of a man that would make it a priority to ensure that people he will never meet will not only not be happy, but will be specifically barred from being happy, twice.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3281 on: May 08, 2012, 06:55:13 pm »

In Indiana, for the Senate seat, teabagger Richard Mourdock unseated 6-term incumbent Richard Lugar in the GOP primary.  For Democrats, that's good news because Mourdock is seen as easier to beat than Lugar was.

Results: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/files/elections/2012/by_state/IN_Page_0508.html?SITE=CSPANELN&SECTION=POLITICS

Senate's at the bottom.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3282 on: May 08, 2012, 08:19:05 pm »

Aaaaand, with about 35% of precincts reporting, the anti-marriage amendment looks poised to pass, along strongly urban/rural lines. Guess my state is more hick than I was willing to admit to myself. Only counties where the "no" vote is in the majority are the ones with major universities (and oddly enough, Vance County which is kinda podunk).

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3283 on: May 08, 2012, 08:30:58 pm »

Condolences if it manages to get through, bleh.

At least you'll be able to laugh that more heterosexual rights have been stripped than homosexual ones. It... it's something. Better than absolutely nothing, for some variance of better.

M'still kinda' pissed about amendment two... and it's been over a year now :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3284 on: May 08, 2012, 08:55:57 pm »

Aaaaand, with about 35% of precincts reporting, the anti-marriage amendment looks poised to pass, along strongly urban/rural lines. Guess my state is more hick than I was willing to admit to myself. Only counties where the "no" vote is in the majority are the ones with major universities (and oddly enough, Vance County which is kinda podunk).

Any idea how the suburban areas voted?
Pages: 1 ... 217 218 [219] 220 221 ... 714