Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 327 328 [329] 330 331 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 717350 times)

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #4920 on: August 20, 2012, 06:30:03 pm »

Works fine now.
Phone copypasta sucks. It only took me two edits to get it right. You just clicked it too soon. Had to add a ho, and drop an eye.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4921 on: August 20, 2012, 06:59:10 pm »

It is not only a women's rights concern but a very real public health concern.
This, of course, is the logical disconnect. Anti-abortionists see abortion as exactly the same as braining a toddler with a rock, which makes it impossible to comprehend why someone would call it a women's rights issue (after all, men aren't legally entitled to murder babies either.) Likewise, those who don't see it as murder (on the grounds that it isn't a human until after birth) have difficulty comprehending it as anything but a rights issue.

I don't think anyone believes babies aren't human until after birth. The point is, early in pregnancy, before the brain is developed past a simple support system, they're not conscious. It doesn't matter that they could become conscious, unless you consider masturbating or having a period equivalent to abortion.

It may be that the lockstep for Democrats is looser than that of the Democrats on social issues, but I'm not convinced of it. Pretty much every major issue has partisans on both sides, but that doesn't change the party line or what national candidates can get away with while keeping the faithful.

Well, there were democrats who supported government health insurance , there were those who opposed it. Republicans all opposed it. There are democrats in favor of financial regulation, there are a few against it. Basically all republican congresspeople oppose it.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #4922 on: August 20, 2012, 07:03:42 pm »

"Being fine with sex"

Only between a man and woman.
Who are married.
To each other.
For the sole purpose of procreation.
In the privacy of their own bedroom.
In the missionary position.
With the lights out.
After this one I usually veer into humor because shits already gotten absurd.
Blindfolded, with as much clothing as possible, through a hole in the sheet.
Alright, I'll stop :P
I think you're confusing republicans with hasidic jews, I they those two groups are buttbuddies, but there is some difference.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #4923 on: August 20, 2012, 07:29:34 pm »

I don't think anyone believes babies aren't human until after birth. The point is, early in pregnancy, before the brain is developed past a simple support system, they're not conscious. It doesn't matter that they could become conscious, unless you consider masturbating or having a period equivalent to abortion.
There are people who believe that masturbation is equivalent to abortion.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4924 on: August 20, 2012, 07:38:09 pm »

I remember reading a anti-abortion mini-pamphlet from the 60s/70s. It claimed that as early as 3 months, a fetus already had a beating heart, all organs and limbs, and a fully functioning brain; it just needed to grow. Then went on to have the "baby" chopped up or stabbed, claiming that they dumped still-moving "babies" in the garbage dump.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4925 on: August 20, 2012, 08:09:57 pm »

A few pages ago, this topic specifically was warned to stick to debating the election. Abortion may be a key issue in it after all, but everyone seems to have decided to debate the most contentious part of this debate you could have possibly chosen.

So I must ask everyone. Do you REALLY want to get this topic locked? Couldn't the "facts and opinions about abortion" part go off to a separate thread while leaving the "people might actually care about this this time" part stay in here? Honestly.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4926 on: August 20, 2012, 08:19:50 pm »

We're actually being pretty civil. In fact I've never seen abortion come up and be as civil as it is right about now.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4927 on: August 20, 2012, 08:25:07 pm »

There's another thing going on here with this kind of rhetoric, one which wasn't as immediately apparent to me.

Akin went on Mike Huckabee's show today, semi-sorta-apologized, and then "clarified" by saying he was only referring to "forcible rape" (as opposed to casual, "oops I just slipped and my penis fell in you" rape??)

Sound a little weird? There's a method to the derpness. See, the rape exemption/"loophole" (from their POV) creates problems. If you allow it for forcible rape (or what they sometimes refer to as "legitimate rape", a neologism that is just wrong on so many levels), then what about statutory rape? Which is, of course, defined as any sex (even consensual) with a person not of age of consent, as defined by their home state.

OMG 15-year old girls would get a free pass for abortions!!

Basically, they see it as a slippery slope problem -- make an exception for rape, you have to start considering exemptions for other valid reasons. BUT...if you can make some kind of case that "real rape" can't produce a child, then you don't need to bother with exemptions for it. Problem solved. Except for that "incest and/or life of the mother at risk" exemptions.

I can't WAIT to hear the talking points on those.
"Incest isn't a terrible thing! Why, it was a practice of royalty for centuries! It strengthens the gene pool! It prevents miscegenation!"

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4928 on: August 20, 2012, 08:32:08 pm »

We're actually being pretty civil. In fact I've never seen abortion come up and be as civil as it is right about now.
I've seen it be even more civil than this on this very forum. I'm hoping that it can continue to be civil. I'm not, however, fully entrusting it to continue to be civil going into the future. If it can, cool. I have, however, seen it become a veritable shitstorm on this very forum in the past too. That's why I was worried. :/
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4929 on: August 20, 2012, 08:44:13 pm »

Problem solved. Except for that "... life of the mother at risk" exemptions.

Like I mentioned, there's answers for that one too.  Namely that there is no such thing as health risk from pregnancies, only evil doctors who have a financial incentive (of some sort) to do bad medicine or just really want to kill infants.  Sure it doesn't come up much, but believe me it's out there.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4930 on: August 20, 2012, 08:45:15 pm »

Like I mentioned, there's answers for that one too.  Namely that there is no such thing as health risk from pregnancies, only evil doctors who have a financial incentive (of some sort) to do bad medicine or just really want to kill infants.  Sure it doesn't come up much, but believe me it's out there.
Even better: "Medicine is evil because when God intends for humans to die they must die."
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4931 on: August 20, 2012, 08:49:02 pm »

Even better: "Medicine is evil because when God intends for humans to die they must die."
I see you're familiar with the Church of Christ, Scientist.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4932 on: August 20, 2012, 08:51:24 pm »

I see you're familiar with the Church of Christ, Scientist.

I was at a fundraiser for an older woman's lung transplant once. Everyone there paid to help her, but at the table I sat at, several other women were shaking their heads and saying how organ transplants are against God's plan and this woman was awful for asking for money for one.

So basically, confirmed.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4933 on: August 20, 2012, 08:51:45 pm »

The debate is civil because the troll wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross got muted for a week.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4934 on: August 20, 2012, 09:00:23 pm »

Akin went on Mike Huckabee's show today, semi-sorta-apologized, and then "clarified" by saying he was only referring to "forcible rape" (as opposed to casual, "oops I just slipped and my penis fell in you" rape??)
Atlantic article on the "apology", although from that it does look like he just replaced the word 'legitimate' with 'forcible'. He also said that you can get pregnant from rape without addressing whether it's rare or if his anti-rape-pregnancy system is a real thing or if he confused humans with ducks (NB: actual statistics suggest rapes have a higher incidence of pregnancy than consensual sex, although I'd guess that's more from under-reporting rapes that don't result in pregnancies than anything physiological - lost the link on this, will track it down if people are interested). It looks like Huck helped him stand his ground against abortions in the event of rape though, which keeps the issue alive.

The current situation means Obama can walk up to a podium, say Romney should release his tax returns and, "rape is rape," and have the easiest gold news cycle of any election he's ran in. Well, maybe not the early days after Palin was announced, but close.
Pages: 1 ... 327 328 [329] 330 331 ... 714