Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 336 337 [338] 339 340 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 720562 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #5055 on: August 27, 2012, 03:17:01 pm »

That said, I find the implication that there are pro-GOP union workers out there interesting, given that the GOP would see unions banned nationwide.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5056 on: August 27, 2012, 03:22:37 pm »

That said, I find the implication that there are pro-GOP union workers out there interesting, given that the GOP would see unions banned nationwide.
No, the implication is that corporations can do it (who DO support the GOP).
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5057 on: August 27, 2012, 03:28:55 pm »

No, the implication is that there are pro-"Let me spend my afternoon watching TV rather than pestering people for a candidate I don't care about" union workers. Which doesn't surprise me at all.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5058 on: August 27, 2012, 03:38:11 pm »

These are union employees. Who knows if they even support the union's existence beyond giving them a paycheck.

Besides, if my boss told me I had to campaign for someone (I don't care who, even if I agreed with the candidate) I'd be pretty pissed.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5059 on: August 27, 2012, 04:10:46 pm »

These are union employees.

Ah, this makes sense.  It's a matter of personal conscience vs. "this is what you were hired to do, genius."  In that case I come down on the latter.  Corporations and unions are perfectly free to hire people to lobby for a cause whatever way they see fit.  Maybe they shouldn't be but that's a matter of arguing how much they should be allowed to influence people, a completely different matter.  It would also be a different matter if organizations that weren't political in nature demanded that people do politics.  That would be a troubling precedent.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5060 on: August 27, 2012, 04:15:04 pm »

The problem is that apparently the Union wanted them to support the candidate on their spare time. Not as part of the job.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #5061 on: August 27, 2012, 04:20:44 pm »

The problem is that apparently the Union wanted them to support the candidate on their spare time. Not as part of the job.

They should join a union that would fight for their workers rights.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5062 on: August 27, 2012, 04:23:18 pm »

They should join a union that would fight for their workers rights.
Har har :P

To me the issue is whether it's in the job description. A random secretary shouldn't be expected to picket for the union they're working for. A pizza delivery boy shouldn't be expected to put "vote so and so" stickers on their car. But a campaign manager should be expected to express support for their candidate.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #5063 on: August 27, 2012, 05:42:23 pm »

Most union workers (especially in non-RtW states) are largely apathetic when it comes to their union. They pay their dues, strike/etc when requested, do their jobs, and go home happy but no more likely to vote Democratic than anyone else. A small minority (again, moreso in non-RtW states) actually dislike being in a union and having to pay dues for things they disagree with, but have to due to agreements between the employer and union. It varies quite a bit, really.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5064 on: August 27, 2012, 10:49:35 pm »

Most union workers (especially in non-RtW states) are largely apathetic when it comes to their union.

no more likely to vote Democratic than anyone else.

I'm sorry, did I miss the memo that it was opposite day again?

The implication that unionized workers aren't supportive of unions in a country where it's very difficult for unions to organize is just silly.  If a majority of the employees at a workplace don't actively support the union, there is no union.  In fact unions in this country are still fighting for the right to organize with just a simple majority.  Right now they need more then majority support in a shop and they need to sustain that support through an average of three years of stalling by management during which time management looks for excuses to fire the pro union workers.  And that's three years on average, sometimes management actually plays fair and lets a vote go straight away (unionization wins over 90% of the votes where management plays let's votes go forward without delay or suppression) while other times the stalling goes for a lot more then 3 years.  And the NLRB hands out wrist slaps at worst for interfering with unionization votes.  So no, there is no freakin' way in hell that most union workers don't support their unions, if a majority did not actively support their union there would be no union.

The notion that unionized households don't vote democratic has a certain Steve Levitt-esqe counter-intuitive appeal but is just wrong.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5065 on: August 28, 2012, 03:25:30 am »

What's RtW? Right to Work? What does it mean actually?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5066 on: August 28, 2012, 06:48:52 am »

http://bit.ly/TnUlhb

tl;dr a law that makes it virtually impossible for a union to be successful at accruing real power.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5067 on: August 28, 2012, 07:00:46 am »

I wasn't even sure it was Right to Work, and googling RtW didn't bring anything significant.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5068 on: August 28, 2012, 08:39:29 am »

CNN is declaring North Carolina a toss up.

If CNN is at all right about this, then it's a big problem for Romney. He can't win without NC. Getting the entire South doesn't even guarantee him a win, so losing any one state from it would be devastating.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #5069 on: August 28, 2012, 10:09:22 am »

Most union workers (especially in non-RtW states) are largely apathetic when it comes to their union.

no more likely to vote Democratic than anyone else.

I'm sorry, did I miss the memo that it was opposite day again?

The implication that unionized workers aren't supportive of unions in a country where it's very difficult for unions to organize is just silly.  If a majority of the employees at a workplace don't actively support the union, there is no union.  In fact unions in this country are still fighting for the right to organize with just a simple majority.  Right now they need more then majority support in a shop and they need to sustain that support through an average of three years of stalling by management during which time management looks for excuses to fire the pro union workers.  And that's three years on average, sometimes management actually plays fair and lets a vote go straight away (unionization wins over 90% of the votes where management plays let's votes go forward without delay or suppression) while other times the stalling goes for a lot more then 3 years.  And the NLRB hands out wrist slaps at worst for interfering with unionization votes.  So no, there is no freakin' way in hell that most union workers don't support their unions, if a majority did not actively support their union there would be no union.

The notion that unionized households don't vote democratic has a certain Steve Levitt-esqe counter-intuitive appeal but is just wrong.

Have you ever worked at GM or Chrysler? Ever known someone who has? You're not describing the attitudes of most union members here.

A lot of unions aren't terribly anti-management and are effectively another job requirement for members. Yes, some unions are extremely anti-management/political, but that hardly characterizes all of them.

Naturally, those union members who vote are more likely to vote Democratic, but compare the percentage of Democratic voting union members compared to, say the number of Democratic voting blacks or Republican voting millionaires and you'd find that union members obviously aren't as radical as you think.

By the way, the provided sources actually show a measure of disagreement with you. To quote:

While being in a union is a statistically significant predictor of Democratic voting, this characteristic competes with, and is often outweighed by, any number of other factors. That means that, on the one hand, there is significant risk for Republicans in alienating union members: a lot of them are the very epitome of swing voters. On the other hand, it means that while Democrats are likely to do fairly well with union voters, those votes are far from certain. A union man is a union man, and also a lot of other things: he may be a father and a veteran and Hispanic and a churchgoing Catholic and a resident of Denver— and all of those things will tug in different ways on the choice he will get to make as a voter.

Whoops!
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?
Pages: 1 ... 336 337 [338] 339 340 ... 714