Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 384 385 [386] 387 388 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 717376 times)

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #5775 on: September 26, 2012, 05:15:48 pm »

Also, new meme making the rounds. I like.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

/thread? Yeah, /thread.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5776 on: September 26, 2012, 05:23:56 pm »

Also, new meme making the rounds. I like.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

/thread? Yeah, /thread.

/thread? Okay guys /thread has been declared, this is officially /thread. Please return to your regularly scheduled routines. Nothing to see here.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5777 on: September 26, 2012, 05:24:27 pm »

Yeah Mitt and Ryan are annoyingly touchy-feely o_o  Maybe once gay marriage is legalized, Ryan will randomly come out and turn liberal  :o

edit: nope no /thread yet, we have a gay derail in progress!

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5778 on: September 26, 2012, 05:26:39 pm »

Gay derail? I love those! And men.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5779 on: September 26, 2012, 05:31:26 pm »

The point I'm making is that we could be spending our taxpayer's money on a space program or defence, but we choose to spend it mostly on services like free prescriptions and so on. However, the space program is a tough thing to debate with respect to America because America brings a lot to the world through their space research.

A point of interest here is that NASA's budget is only a little bigger then Scotland's healthcare costs ($19 billion vs. $16 billion) and not all of NASA's budget is space stuff (National Air and Space Agency).  So a worldclass space program costs as much as healthcare costs for a smallish region.  NASA is chump change in the US federal budget.

This prompts me to wonder actually if you could see a smallish but wealthy nation actually decide to become the leader in space.  Canada for instance has federal revenues of around C$255 (.98C$=1US$).  So NASA wouldn't be a pittance for them but it would be something they could afford.

Unfortunately, this is one thing the administration thinks private industry can do better. Never mind the fact that private industry lives for profit while NASA lived for scientific exploration. But hey, nothing can possibly go wrong a space program built from the ground up by for-profit enterprises, right? RIGHT?

I thought this before hand but I've actually been pretty pleased.  The private space industry is mostly full of investors who love space, not ones who are looking to make a quick buck.  And by escaping the congressional pork barrel process it seems that more efficient supply chains are emerging which will save money and create safety.  I won't guarantee that this will continue forever but right now it's very promising.

And with some of the new poll data for Ohio, RCP's electoral count has 265 for Obama. He could literally lose all but one of the "toss-up" states (assuming it's not New Hampshire) and still win the election. If trends continue and Florida pops out of toss-up and into "Leans Democrat", he'll be starting the election over the victory mark. Still have to consider the ever-lurking "October Surprise", but so far the only candidates for that role are the Benghazi consular attack (which Romney deftly blunted the effect of by coming off as a smug asshole more concerned about scoring political points than having any empathy for the dead) and the "47%" comment which has been a major self-inflicted wound to Team Romney.

I'd say that Nevada is more in the bank then Florida.  Romney hasn't won a poll there since April.  But if Obama wins Florida then he could even afford to lose Ohio.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #5780 on: September 26, 2012, 05:48:47 pm »

Of course, said space program may actually be cheaper elsewhere as well...
... for the low low cost of 100 dollars a month, you can help a third world country get starving children to the moon!
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5781 on: September 26, 2012, 05:51:23 pm »

I've heard it's made of cheese.  Solve two birds with one stone, there! :P

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #5782 on: September 26, 2012, 06:28:48 pm »

...Thus leading to the charity of the future.

For just 200 dollars, you can help get air to suffocating children on the moon!
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5783 on: September 26, 2012, 07:15:09 pm »

Terriawesome.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5784 on: September 26, 2012, 10:14:31 pm »

I know I haven't been in here awhile but as I'm in Thailand, Romney's been in deep shit for awhile. Not one person outside the USA that I spoke to likes him.

vadia

• Bay Watcher
  • tacky picture given the forum; I know.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5785 on: September 26, 2012, 11:05:17 pm »

I know I haven't been in here awhile but as I'm in Thailand, Romney's been in deep shit for awhile. Not one person outside the USA that I spoke to likes him.
Israel is fairly fond of Romney, but only because they don't realize his foreign policy on Iran is nearly exactly the same as Obama's just worded differently.  (Everything should be on the table -- but I hope embargos work, vs. I hope embargoes work, Everything is on the table)

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5787 on: September 27, 2012, 07:34:30 am »

...Thus leading to the charity of the future.

Oh gawd, that reminds me of a horrilarious quote from the Sarah Silverman Show:
"If we can put a man on the Moon, we can put a man with AIDS on the Moon. And then? We can put everyone with AIDS on the Moon."

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #5788 on: September 27, 2012, 08:35:36 am »

[spoiler authro-That Tumblr]I'm as poor as a church mouse.[/spoiler]

Maybe in the Vatican.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5789 on: September 27, 2012, 09:00:32 am »

From the same Tumbr:

"I believe in an America where millions of Americans believe in an America that's the America million of Americans believe in.....That's the America I love."

....somebody please tell me that's not a real quote.

Pseudo-edit: Oh Sweet Jesus, it is. Apparently he said it during the primaries and was getting lambasted for it by the Gingrich and Perry supporters.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 384 385 [386] 387 388 ... 714