Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 402 403 [404] 405 406 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 717463 times)

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #6045 on: October 03, 2012, 09:30:45 pm »

No Ryncol on hand, making do with Bailey's. Certainly not going to have enough to make it though.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #6046 on: October 03, 2012, 09:31:17 pm »

We are getting a veep debate? I thought we weren't! I can't wait.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6047 on: October 03, 2012, 09:32:33 pm »

Between an awkward old man and... someone.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6048 on: October 03, 2012, 09:37:11 pm »

My beer lasted just long enough!  Thank god!  Many brain cells bravely sacrificed themselves that I could survive this.

I think my prediction of a boring debate held.  No real big shakeups.  Do people agree with that assessment?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #6049 on: October 03, 2012, 09:37:19 pm »

Well, this debate was successful in getting me drunk, if nothing else.

I'll see you guys in 8 days, then.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6050 on: October 03, 2012, 09:44:48 pm »

Father came in and said he thought the debate was very close, with no real winner stomping over the other one.

I just shrugged. I didn't watch it, just read this stuff here, so I wasn't gonna say anything on just hearsay.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6051 on: October 03, 2012, 09:45:56 pm »

Father came in and said he thought the debate was very close, with no real winner stomping over the other one.

I just shrugged. I didn't watch it, just read this stuff here, so I wasn't gonna say anything on just hearsay.

I haven't watched it yet, either. I'm preparing a large amount of water bottles so I can play the drinking game without alcohol, since I'm a minor and stuff.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6052 on: October 03, 2012, 09:47:24 pm »

Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #6053 on: October 03, 2012, 09:48:15 pm »

Romney kind of made an idiot of himself and Obama really didn't do much, so, nothing has changed, really.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6054 on: October 03, 2012, 09:51:10 pm »

I found that Romney made a good impression on me, though my base opinion of him probably couldn't get any lower. He certainly seemed a lot less awkward than he usually does.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6055 on: October 03, 2012, 09:51:33 pm »

Water intoxication isn't as great as it sounds.

Don't kill yourself, dude :P
Yeah... I kept up just with "Good Luck to the Barley Mow" via water and felt a lil' ill when it was over. Wouldn't recommend. Maybe very tiny sips or somethin'.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6056 on: October 03, 2012, 09:52:24 pm »

Honestly? I don't think replacing "awkward" with "asshole" is a good thing to do. Especially when you're spouting lies off left and right.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

vadia

• Bay Watcher
  • tacky picture given the forum; I know.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6057 on: October 03, 2012, 09:53:14 pm »

Don't worry I'd get sick from water before I got to when the moderaters start getting annoyed at how long the candidates have taken.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6058 on: October 03, 2012, 10:03:21 pm »

Romney did well, both in his performance and in the perception of it in the usual places. He is up in the betting markets and most commentators who actually get listened to suggested he outdid expectations (which is what the media cares about).

At the same time he lied horrifically and repeatedly. He only came across well by misrepresenting both his and Obama's positions, something that could hurt him in future adverts and debates. He also obviously knew he was doing well and so got cocky and aggressive after the first few minutes, feeding the perception of him being arrogant.

You could see this on the Intrade markets. Obama started around $7.20 and dropped to the low/mid $6 range in the first few minutes of the debate before rebounding. By his closing statements he was back up to $7, although he has dropped again now that people are reacting to the post-debate spin.

Obama was obviously tired and didn't seem to be particular polished. Probably distracted by other events and didn't dedicate much time to debate prep. He was in professor mode for the vast majority of the debate and didn't make many (if any) attacks. I think it would have worked better had Romney not been so willing to completely ignore the truth on absolutely every point.

Overall, "win" to Romney and he should see a minor bounce, but with any luck the media and campaign narrative will hammer on his lies stopping any further gains or momentum out of this.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6059 on: October 03, 2012, 10:07:58 pm »

I did not know that was possible, but now that I read it, it seems obvious.

Sips it is. I only have 3 water bottles, and I'm not planning on refilling them during the debate. Maybe I'll just see how long they last.
Pages: 1 ... 402 403 [404] 405 406 ... 714