Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 467 468 [469] 470 471 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 720940 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #7020 on: October 22, 2012, 09:58:57 am »

Well duh, I don't think anybody means it literally.

Actually, I guess some people actually do.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #7021 on: October 22, 2012, 10:01:46 am »

At this point I think the most damning thing he could say about Obama is: "I know that I have had suspicions in the past, but having produced his birth certificate, I am willing to fully endorse Obama as the next president"
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7022 on: October 22, 2012, 10:05:04 am »

I wish Trump would just die already and stop attention whoring himself via any means possible.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #7023 on: October 22, 2012, 10:46:44 am »

... black.

Anyyeee way....

I wanted to ask a quick question on behalf of Romeny here for a minute...

Let me preface this by saying that I hope Romney is eaten by sharks, and secondly that I think public broadcasting is essential. However, given that Romney has stated he will cut funding for NPR and PBS, can NPR be neutral in its broadcasting? And _is_ it being neutral?

Just this morning, there was a segment on the death of George McGovern, focusing on the tragedy of his loss to Nixon, and how he inspired a generation of liberal activists. Last week there was a retrospective on the death of Bin Laden. I'm not saying NPR would be in the wrong for broadcasting entirely factual things that happen to benefit the president... which is certainly better than total fabrication for groups like Fox. Still, I don't like the idea of a publicly-funded organization intentionally (or even subconsciously) influencing politics.

Unless there's something fundamentally wrong about a candidate, I don't think NPR should mention it. I want to hear about a Psychopath running (red or blue), but if he feeds orphaned baby seals in his spare time, that's his campaign's responsibility to discuss.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7024 on: October 22, 2012, 11:12:58 am »

Well they can't ignore the campaign in it's entirety, but Romney kind of brought it on himself when telling america he'd be cutting PBS.

Why did he do that, again? Are there people who hate PBS? Are there people who think PBS isn't already chock full of some of the cheapest TVshows out there? I swear they still use greenscreen tech from the mid-seventies.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7025 on: October 22, 2012, 11:15:24 am »

Are there people who hate PBS?

Yes, sadly.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7026 on: October 22, 2012, 11:16:48 am »

Why did he do that, again? Are there people who hate PBS?

The idea of a publicly funded news organization that doesn't reflect conservative beliefs and positions strikes them as a waste of tax payer money.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7027 on: October 22, 2012, 11:16:57 am »

Because you're only a good conservative if you want to destroy small and effective government programs and give their relative pennies national defense, which can never be cut for any reason.

NASA, PBS, and NPR all have to go or we let the terrorists win.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7028 on: October 22, 2012, 11:21:24 am »

Because you're only a good conservative if you want to destroy small and effective government programs and give their relative pennies national defense, which can never be cut for any reason.

The Americans calling their vast amounts of militaria "defence" is like buying a heavy machine gun for your house, a tank and an apache helicopter and explaining you need them for self defence.

Defence is a bit of an ugly newspeak word nowadays. At least in Kitchener's time they had the balls to call men like him "Secretary of State for War", not the evasive "Secretary of State for Defence".

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7029 on: October 22, 2012, 11:22:50 am »

Used to be called the department of war until the 20th century.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7030 on: October 22, 2012, 11:24:23 am »

The Americans calling their vast amounts of militaria "defence" is like buying a heavy machine gun for your house, a tank and an apache helicopter and explaining you need them for self defence.
Well, a lot of people do. (Or at least they do with the machine gun part.)
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7031 on: October 22, 2012, 11:30:59 am »

Let me preface this by saying that I hope Romney is eaten by sharks, and secondly that I think public broadcasting is essential. However, given that Romney has stated he will cut funding for NPR and PBS, can NPR be neutral in its broadcasting? And _is_ it being neutral?
I wouldn't say they have a liberal bias, but I think it's pretty clear that most organizations have a self-preservation bias and I find it hard to find fault with that.

I've honestly listened for a long while, and with the exception of the stupid woman who talks sometimes during the day and makes me want to punch her face every time something stupid comes out of her mouth (which is more than half the time) and the local programming (which sometimes takes on a partisan slant, usually liberal but occasionally conservative) I've found them to be truly and remarkably neutral, especially considering how easy it would be for them to act partisan - the conservatives already think they are and make no bones about wanting to destroy them, so I doubt they'd be losing much if they did.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7032 on: October 22, 2012, 12:02:38 pm »

Used to be called the department of war until the 20th century.
1947, to be specific. And interestingly enough, the Navy had its own department seperate from the War Department (up until 1949, when Army, Navy and the newly-created Air Force were all rolled into DoD).

The switchover to "Defense" was primarily a propaganda thing to blunt Soviet claims that the US was an aggressive imperialist capitalist pigdog.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7033 on: October 22, 2012, 12:11:27 pm »

The Soviets are right though....
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #7034 on: October 22, 2012, 12:12:12 pm »

The Soviets are right though....

Pot meet Kettle.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.
Pages: 1 ... 467 468 [469] 470 471 ... 714