Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 493 494 [495] 496 497 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 720800 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #7410 on: October 28, 2012, 05:39:14 pm »

He's got a point, though. I wouldn't want to be in a survivor group that operates on Objectivism either.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7411 on: October 28, 2012, 05:52:16 pm »

I think I'd have better chances with the zombies then the Objectivists.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7412 on: October 28, 2012, 06:13:43 pm »

Zombies at least don't eat their own kind. Objectivists are all too happy to step on anyone.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #7413 on: October 28, 2012, 07:37:01 pm »

I cant get that Whedon video to load on youtube
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7414 on: October 29, 2012, 11:24:57 am »

A wonderful little piece on the history of payroll tax cut stimulus in the US during the recession: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ezra-klein/wp/2012/10/29/a-portrait-of-washington-in-2012/

I reckon this demonstrates two things:
1) The republican party needs to be scourged from the earth
2) It's somewhat excusable that american people are so damn ignorant as one party has made that ignorance a policy plank

And meanwhile the republicans bitch about Obama not having plans and the Senate not passing a budget.  But that's only because keeping mum about such things is a condition that the republicans demand.  Having a conservative party wouldn't be so bad.  But what we have here is a government that effectively opposes good government.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7415 on: October 29, 2012, 11:53:04 am »

I'm from Colorado, and I admit there was a way I would have voted republican in this election. If their canadate was determined to expand NASA.

Instead of something cool like that though, we got Mr Assassinate and Mitt Corp.

Israel has already told the world what the next 4 years will look like. I don't think they were lying. Whom do you want responding to the Iran mess? I want Stubbs, because I ain't getting space.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #7416 on: October 29, 2012, 12:58:24 pm »

Why do you expect the republicans to expand the space program? They campaigned on pointing to Greek austerity measures and saying "We're gonna get you some of that!"
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7417 on: October 29, 2012, 01:04:04 pm »

Why do you expect the republicans to expand the space program? They campaigned on pointing to Greek austerity measures and saying "We're gonna get you some of that!"

...while insisting that it's Obama who's putting us "on the road to Greece." This party literally could not exist in a country not made up chiefly of clueless and stupid people.
Quote from: Cthulhu
It's like using hobos to fight an eating-resistant baloney epidemic.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7418 on: October 29, 2012, 01:58:57 pm »

Forgetting the Primaries so soon? I'd vote Romney if he talked about space like he talks about military, even knowing he's a liar. But alas, it isn't happening.

-Sent from my virgin mobile phone
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7419 on: October 29, 2012, 02:48:21 pm »

Does anyone else have a bunch of proposals on the ballot in their state? Here in Michigan, there are six... and all of them aren't just referenda, they're amendments to the constitution. You see, MI never passed a public referendum law... but they can still be accomplished, because the state constitution can be modified by public vote. It's very stupid.

If I was old enough to vote [damn you, age limit], I'd say "no" to five of the six. In order:

Proposal One: To add the "Emergency Manager" protocol to the constitution. The only one I support.
Proposal Two: Theoretically, to add constitutional protection for collective bargaining, but in reality just another union power play. [It's tough being an anti-union liberal].
Proposal Three: To add renewable-energy requirements to the constitution. I love the idea of having 25% of the state's energy come from renewable sources by whatever deadline, but putting it in the constitution is just stupid.
Proposal Four: Something about collective bargaining for home-care workers... I just don't like unions, sorry.
Proposal Five: Those silly Republicans... this proposal would put in the constitution to require a two-thirds [Democratic] majority to modify taxes in any way other than lowering them. Not just raising them.
Proposal Six: This is the grand summit of stupid self-serving proposals. This one was put forth by the asshole who owns the only bridge between Detroit and Canada, after the governor and legislature did something smart for once and decided to build another one. Or, rather, let the Canadian government build it out of their own pocket, which the rich asshole has claimed in television ads to be false- even though it's completely true. The proposal says that a public referendum will be required to build any new bridge or tunnel, basically. Any. If it passes, some rich guy in Detroit will be very, very sorry. This is the epitome of special interests corrupting politics.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7420 on: October 29, 2012, 02:54:54 pm »

Proposal One: To add the "Emergency Manager" protocol to the constitution. The only one I support.

Wait, you support unelected dictators being appointed to liquidate cities?
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #7421 on: October 29, 2012, 02:55:57 pm »

I hate those kind of systems. California has one (Propositions) that just lets people put laws into effect with popular vote. Actually modifying the constitution to do so is even worse!

Horrible, horrible idea, letting popular vote decide these things. Sure, it sounds all nice an empowering. And then you remember that the vast majority of the people voting do not have the knowledge needed to make good decisions about laws nor the time/inclination to get that knowledge. The whole point of having legislators in the first place is so that we have 'experts' on reading and writing laws. When you get the general public involved it becomes even more of an exercise in propaganda and misrepresentation than politics usually is.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7422 on: October 29, 2012, 03:03:35 pm »

Especially when the appointed dictator is required to be from the banking institutions that are responsible for declaring the community insolvent?

while ending all local democratic processes and supervision?

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7423 on: October 29, 2012, 03:05:34 pm »

Especially when the appointed dictator is required to be from the banking institutions that are responsible for declaring the community insolvent?

^ This is what the law is for, specifically [To help 'financial burdens']. I'd love to see a pro-Emergency Manager law argument that isn't from a MI republican, because it's the least democratic and an extremely ineffective way to handle, well, anything.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7424 on: October 29, 2012, 03:16:29 pm »

^ This is what the law is for, specifically [To help 'financial burdens']. I'd love to see a pro-Emergency Manager law argument that isn't from a MI republican, because it's the least democratic and an extremely ineffective way to handle, well, anything.

It is actually a really good way to give massive handouts to a select group of banking industry crony's while suspending the rights of the local population. A double win!

Pages: 1 ... 493 494 [495] 496 497 ... 714