Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 504 505 [506] 507 508 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 720986 times)

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #7575 on: November 01, 2012, 02:35:22 pm »

This idea of voting machines sending in an Obama vote when you press Romney seems to be coming up more than once. Anyone know where this one's coming from?

I think it's more likely that it would occur the other way around, given that virtually all the voting-machine companies seem to be led by Republicans.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #7576 on: November 01, 2012, 02:55:42 pm »

Oh hey, global warming and an endorsement from Bloomberg because of it and Sandy (for Obama)
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/02/nyregion/bloomberg-endorses-obama-saying-hurricane-sandy-affected-decision.html
Guess global warming climate change came up after all, somehow.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7577 on: November 01, 2012, 03:14:29 pm »

I'd just like to say that while states may not exist in a bubble, what matters to Iowa does not matter to Colorado. Iowa's main industries are NOT Military, Mining, and Tourism. Iowa is much more likely to care about outsourced manufacturing parts of the economy, while that's an Intellectual exercise for Colorado.
Iowa is also more predictable because it isn't three distinct regions grouped into one. Colorado is made up of the Front Range (where most of it's population lives, a strip of about 50 miles along the Rockey Mountains runnning north-south), the "Western Slope", and the Plains. There are actually pretty significant differences in what each region cares about, and their makeup. Colorado's actions really can't be judged by any other state I can think of.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7578 on: November 01, 2012, 03:17:08 pm »

Oh hey, global warming and an endorsement from Bloomberg because of it and Sandy (for Obama)
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/02/nyregion/bloomberg-endorses-obama-saying-hurricane-sandy-affected-decision.html
Guess global warming climate change came up after all, somehow.

It's both Global Warming and Climate Change...

And about damn time people in power start addressing it this election. The East Coast is going to have a lot more on their palette in the coming years and the nation needs to start dealing with the consequences of a changing global climate. Maybe taking a look at Germany's drastic redirection of energy development so we can avert worsening the problems even more.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7579 on: November 01, 2012, 03:18:24 pm »

You could make that argument for every state, Kogan.  Iowa isn't completely homogenous by any means itself (mix of manufacturing heavy small towns in NE, college towns dominating the eastern part, and the largely agricultural west.)  But all the states are similar enough that large movement in one state will probably be seen in other states.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7580 on: November 01, 2012, 03:45:26 pm »

@Kogan:

I agree with you, but those differences are already sorted for in the base support level. It's not like Iowans are suddenly going to have a global epiphany regarding the candidates' positions on outsourcing, and Coloradans aren't going to have a similar sea change regarding their issues. Simply put, there's no niche issue that either candidate is going to have a high-profile bump or dip over, enough to affect one or two states without affecting the rest.

Unless it was something bizarre like Obama saying "Man, fuck Iowa." Which would presumably drop his support precipitously there and give him a 5-point boost in Nebraska. :P

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7581 on: November 01, 2012, 03:48:36 pm »

It occurs to me that since many people who support the Republicans do so for religious reasons some good might be done by making up flyers pointing out bible verses and passages that reflect badly on Mitt Romney and the Republican party.

I recommend the following:

"No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon." Matthew 6:24

"No one can serve two masters. For you will hate one and love the other; you will be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money."  Matthew 6:24 (alternate translation)

"No man can be the bondservant of two masters; for either he will dislike one and like the other, or he will attach himself to one and think slightingly of the other. You cannot be the bondservants both of God and of gold."  Matthew 6:24 (alternate translation)

"If a man shuts his ears to the cry of the poor, he too will cry out and not be answered." Proverbs 21:13

"Again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God." Matthew 19:24

"Jesus looked at him and loved him. "One thing you lack," he said. "Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me." Mark 10:21

"7 I had great possessions of great and small cattle above all that were in Jerusalem before me: 8 I gathered me also silver and gold, and the peculiar treasure of kings and of the provinces: I gat me men singers and women singers, and the delights of the sons of men, as musical instruments, and that of all sorts. 9 So I was great, and increased more than all that were before me in Jerusalem: also my wisdom remained with me. 10 And whatsoever mine eyes desired I kept not from them, I withheld not my heart from any joy; for my heart rejoiced in all my labour: and this was my portion of all my labour. 11 Then I looked on all the works that my hands had wrought, and on the labour that I had laboured to do: and, behold, all was vanity and vexation of spirit, and there was no profit under the sun." Ecclesiastes 2:7-11

"Your gold and silver have become worthless. The very wealth you were counting on will eat away your flesh like fire. This treasure you have accumulated will stand as evidence against you on the day of judgment." James 5:3

"A servant cannot serve two masters. He will hate the first master and love the second, or he will be devoted to the first and despise the second. You cannot serve God and wealth." Luke 16:13

"But ye have despised the poor. Do not rich men oppress you, and draw you before the judgment seats?" James 2:6

"He said to them, "Beware! Keep yourselves from covetousness, for a man's life doesn't consist of the abundance of the things which he possesses."" Luke 12:15

"Judas said, "What are you willing to give me to betray Him to you?" And they weighed out thirty pieces of silver to him. And from that moment he sought an opportunity to betray Jesus." Matthew 26:15-16

"19 Jesus said, "There was a certain rich man, who was clothed in purple and fine linen, and feasted sumptuously every day: 20 And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, who was laid at his gate, full of sores, 21 And longed to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores. 22 And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried; 23 And in hades he lifted up his eyes, being in torment, and seeing Abraham far off, and Lazarus in his bosom. 24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame. 25 But Abraham said, Son, remember that you in your lifetime received your good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and you are tormented. 26 And besides all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they who would pass from here to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from there."" Luke 16:19-26

"But those who are determined to be rich fall into a temptation and a snare and many foolish and harmful lusts, such as drown men in ruin and destruction." 1 Timothy 6:9

"Come now, you rich men, weep and howl for your miseries that shall come upon you." James 5:1

Anyone else want to help design an anti-Republican religious pamphlet?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 09:27:08 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7582 on: November 01, 2012, 03:48:47 pm »

RedKing,
So you're what you're saying is...

Maybe he should come out and say "Fuck Nebraska"?

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7583 on: November 01, 2012, 03:50:08 pm »

Just what does the president do that would be affecting on the state-level, so much so that the states should get a block-vote? Shouldn't the guy who represents the entire country be chosen based on the actual votes of the entire country? Instead of the votes of the states?

(This last sentence is very wibble-wobbley but you hopefully know what I mean. I'm just gonna ignore anyone that takes it out of context, so don't waste your time.)
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7584 on: November 01, 2012, 03:53:26 pm »

@ Bohandas:

What are you talking about? Those phrases are clearly supposed to be metaphorical and do not actually mean what they say.
</biblical_apologist>
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7585 on: November 01, 2012, 03:58:02 pm »

RedKing,
So you're what you're saying is...

Maybe he should come out and say "Fuck Nebraska"?

Well, then he gets an 8-point boost in Kansas. The Midwest is sort of a tiered system of increasing hate.

Minnesota <--> Iowa = annoyance
Iowa <--> Nebraska = mild dislike
Nebraska <--> Kansas = strong dislike
Kansas <--> Oklahoma = hate
Oklahoma <--> Texas = Man, FUCK those guys. Seriously.
Texas <--> Mexico = Get me mah gun / Buscar mi pistola

Incidentally, this is part of why Romney is polling at about +16 in Texas, despite trailing miserably there during the primaries.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 04:00:25 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7586 on: November 01, 2012, 04:01:48 pm »

By the by, as much as I love extemporizing on the nuts and bolts of American history, I just remembered there's a thread down the page for doing just that.  This being my thread, I'm going to ask all further discussion of the Electoral College et al go over there.  I'll be along soon enough I'm sure.

What thread is that? I don't see one.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7587 on: November 01, 2012, 04:03:26 pm »

Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7588 on: November 01, 2012, 04:42:37 pm »

Oh, that thread. I read the OP when it was posted, and decided to ignore the thread out of paranoia.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7589 on: November 01, 2012, 04:50:30 pm »

I can 100% confirm Red King's analysis of the Midwestern Hate Cycle. Because seriously, Iowa and Kansas? Fuck 'em.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 504 505 [506] 507 508 ... 714