Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 548 549 [550] 551 552 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 721034 times)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #8235 on: November 06, 2012, 07:57:50 pm »

I'm going to miss all the political ads that took up 75% of the commercial slots.

...Screw that. Good riddance. Furthermore, it'll be nice to see people eventually regain their minds and rationality again; or at least enough of it that remains, for what that's worth.

mikefictiti0us

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Radio Rivendell
« Reply #8236 on: November 06, 2012, 07:58:50 pm »

So on TV, I've been seeing ads for Macy's "Election Day Sale".

For shame, turning the political process into an excuse for a sale. What's next? 9/11 Sales?

"We're blowing up high prices! They're crashing to the ground! It's plane and simple! Never forget... to check out the Macy's 9/11 sale!"

A few corporate entities actually did make 9/11 anniversary advertisements, under the guise of paying homage to the victims. Anheuser-Busch (Budweiser) was one of them. What beer has to do with 9/11 is beyond my understanding, but I came out of the ad with "9/11 was a tragic event in which thousands of innocent people lost their lives. Now go drink up some Bud to remember them, bitches!"
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 08:00:46 pm by mikefictiti0us »

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8237 on: November 06, 2012, 08:00:04 pm »

Florida 51-48 Obama with 41% reporting in.

It looks like NC is going to be close. 15% counted and Obama is winning, 53-47.

Wut.

But VA is 8% in and Romney is winning there by 20 percentage points...

Eh. It's only worth worrying if the reported number gets to 20-30% with those kind of results.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #8238 on: November 06, 2012, 08:01:58 pm »

I may take an Obama avatar if he wins anyway, just to.

I am contemplating using the following, just for lulz:

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8239 on: November 06, 2012, 08:02:45 pm »

Give him Masonic earrings.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8240 on: November 06, 2012, 08:02:56 pm »

Florida 51-48 Obama with 41% reporting in.

It looks like NC is going to be close. 15% counted and Obama is winning, 53-47.

Wut.

But VA is 8% in and Romney is winning there by 20 percentage points...

Eh. It's only worth worrying if the reported number gets to 20-30% with those kind of results.

If Obama wins Florida, he's basically the de facto winner already. Hopefully that holds up.

A lot of really-close races here in the initial count. Be interesting to see how many stay that close, regardless of who actually wins there.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8241 on: November 06, 2012, 08:04:44 pm »

If Obama wins Florida, he's basically the de facto winner already. Hopefully that holds up.

We'll see. Virginia and Ohio are the real bell-weathers for if Obama is going to perform or outperform his polling results from before. Florida is always a damn tossup, but if Romney wins Ohio/Virginia it's a different story completely.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8242 on: November 06, 2012, 08:05:48 pm »

We'll see. Virginia and Ohio are the real bell-weathers for if Obama is going to perform or outperform his polling results from before. Florida is always a damn tossup, but if Romney wins Ohio/Virginia it's a different story completely.

If Obama gets Florida, he can win any one other tossup and still win the EC vote. Of course it's important!

Now, I'd be all for Obama getting a really significant win... but what I'm saying is that Florida is crucial here. If Romney wins, the competition shifts to OH, PA, NH, IA, CO, and the like. But if Obama wins he basically has the race tied up.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8243 on: November 06, 2012, 08:06:30 pm »

Virginia and Ohio are the real bell-weathers for if Obama is going to perform or outperform his polling results from before.

And: No republican has ever gotten into office without Ohio, so it's a bit more of an indicator of how everything else is going to be.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 08:09:23 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8244 on: November 06, 2012, 08:11:53 pm »

NC's margin has shrunk from 45,000 to 15,000, Romney currently ahead, 26% counted. Holy fuck. This is going to be razor close.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8245 on: November 06, 2012, 08:12:10 pm »

Troll, I'll do the presidential AND that senate race - if I lose both, I'll put the avatars on rotation.

And remember folks, we're supposed to be letting the /winner/ pick the photo!

(Those doing it for kicks or betting against themselves, obviously, get to pick for themselves) :P

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8246 on: November 06, 2012, 08:13:45 pm »

AAAND Romney's way ahead again in Florida... okay, two percent lead.

Incumbent's still leading in NC at 31%... big lead in crucial OH but this is with 9% counted, so it's bound to change.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 08:15:55 pm by SealyStar »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #8247 on: November 06, 2012, 08:15:49 pm »

Guys, the polls come in from different parts of the state at different times.  You don't look at the results until it gets to the last few percent.  It's number like turnout that you can interpret as they go along, or looking at the individual counties compared to expectations or previous years.  Saying X is ahead with so much of the vote cast is meaningless.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8248 on: November 06, 2012, 08:17:42 pm »

and since the panhandle just closed, florida results will likely get all kinds of screwy until the end(don't you hate a state in 2 different time zones?
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8249 on: November 06, 2012, 08:21:31 pm »

Yeah. A few minutes ago the BBC declared that South Carolina had been called for Romney. Their vote tracker showed 75% of the votes reported for that state by that point were for Obama. Probably just because they've only gotten a small amount of the actual returns in so far, and are showing them as they come in, but that isn't what they're using to project the winner of each state.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: 1 ... 548 549 [550] 551 552 ... 714