Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 613 614 [615] 616 617 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 717365 times)

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread - It's Over
« Reply #9210 on: November 11, 2012, 11:24:50 am »

Huh... do we actually have any good voter turnout numbers/comparisons yet?

The BBC has a decent analysis of Exit polls that arent very suprising.

It's good, but it doesn't break it down by state.  Here's some exit polls from the New York Times, but it also only has 18 states.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9211 on: November 11, 2012, 03:21:45 pm »

One of the funniest things I've heard from exit poll reports is that despite all the conservative rants about Benghazi and Afghanistan and Iraq and Romney's plans to increase defense spending, only 5% of those polled said they were most concerned about foreign policy... and they voted overwhelmingly for Obama.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9212 on: November 11, 2012, 03:23:14 pm »

Nobody was buying that "Benghazi-gate" crap except a small echo-chamber crowd.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2226160/Benghazi-Murdered-Ambassador-Chris-Stevens-warned-Consulate-withstand-coordinated-attack.html

"Also last week, ex-Navy SEAL Tyrone Woods, part of a small team at the CIA annex about a mile from the consulate, claimed he twice asked his superiors if he could go and assist the consular staff during the attack but was denied."

Who can spot the error in this Daily Mail quote? Maybe the fact that Tyrone Woods was the guy who died in Benghazi. I really wish this was the first time I came across dead people being cited as having opinions in the "daily fail" -_- but it isn't.

BTW there are also Daily Mail articles listing his father as "Chris Woods" when it's actually "Charlie Woods"
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 03:36:12 pm by Reelya »

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #9213 on: November 11, 2012, 03:44:29 pm »

But the Daily Mail's on staff psychics interviewed his ghost through an entirely legitimate seance!
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9214 on: November 11, 2012, 03:54:48 pm »

They turned comments off on the article [After they got enough right wing morons to spew hate all over it] and haven't bothered to even fix the citing-a-dead-guy-as-a-source thing. Fucking pathetic.

I'd being suing their balls off.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9215 on: November 11, 2012, 04:18:25 pm »

daily mail...

well, I don't tend to trust most newspapers, since they seem to make up bullshit left, right and centre, have some sort of hate towards a certain group of people, or have some really large left/right bias.

There should be a service that finds articles about the same thing from a [ideological] range of sites, and merges them into one cohesive story. It'd be like mad-libs except appalling and horrifying in the case of, well, anything, since everyone uses hyperbole to make arguements now.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9216 on: November 11, 2012, 04:44:02 pm »

There should be a service that finds articles about the same thing from a [ideological] range of sites, and merges them into one cohesive story. It'd be like mad-libs except appalling and horrifying in the case of, well, anything, since everyone uses hyperbole to make arguements now.

I see what you did there.
Love, scriver~

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9217 on: November 11, 2012, 05:10:22 pm »

daily mail...

well, I don't tend to trust most newspapers, since they seem to make up bullshit left, right and centre, have some sort of hate towards a certain group of people, or have some really large left/right bias.

The solution is find 3 sites that lean slightly to the left and right and deduce from there. Being aware of the true nature of things isn't easy, It requires work to be learned.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #9218 on: November 11, 2012, 05:43:00 pm »

There actually are news aggregators that give you only news that fits your requested bias, and others that use your reading habits to focus your news results to fit what it deduces your bias to be. I don't have any references at the moment but I read articles about them from slashdot, which itself has an arch libertarian/arch liberal technologist/luddite co bias.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9219 on: November 11, 2012, 06:09:55 pm »

There's telling the news with a bias and then there's making shit up.  The Daily Mail is definitely in the latter camp.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9220 on: November 11, 2012, 06:35:28 pm »

Every right-winger I know seems to be having a fit of insanity over some kind of "UN Tax" Obama is supposedly going to impose.

This, along with all the recent conspiracy theories about the UN invading the US and the Texas government getting pissed off at UN voting observers, leads me to believe that the American Right is increasingly anti-UN, and more so right now than at any point in history.

Of course, they're just getting more right-wing in general, and paranoid nationalism is an important part of that.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9221 on: November 11, 2012, 06:46:33 pm »

Generally, the right sees the UN as a step toward a World Government that will consume all existing nations (the EU is viewed similarly). Besides the theological connotations of that, the UN is seen as a leftist organization, and thus a huge threat. Little facts such as the UN being a bloated, mostly powerless noise factory don't prevent them from interpreting initiatives to crack down on illegal arms smuggling as attempts to force gun bans on all nations and sieze all privately owned weapons, among other issues.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9222 on: November 11, 2012, 06:53:48 pm »

Why, why do I still get mad that people are willing to post right-wing conspiracy theories online [surprisingly on all sorts of news articles mainly] as if they are backed-up fact? I feel like me getting pissed off at those types is a bad thing, but I can't help it since I'm so sick of seeing them playing the boy who cried wolf over everything.

And no, not you silly ;p
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 06:55:53 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9223 on: November 11, 2012, 06:54:45 pm »

Are you referring to me?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9224 on: November 11, 2012, 07:00:49 pm »

America: the land of the imprisoned and the home of the paranoid. (Relative to other developed countries at least.)
Soaplent green is goblins!
Pages: 1 ... 613 614 [615] 616 617 ... 714