Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 681 682 [683] 684 685 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 720875 times)

vadia

• Bay Watcher
  • tacky picture given the forum; I know.
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread - It's Over
« Reply #10230 on: December 10, 2012, 10:09:47 pm »

Any of you who are against obstructionist behavior etc, should write an email to their respective reps (and senators [hey why not]) that they sould compromise.  If they get a few thousand letters [more than they do on the other side] even those who are least likely to compromise will tend to get the point eventually.

In fact tell your friends and family to do so also.
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington them (Did I just make a movie title into a verb?)

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10231 on: December 10, 2012, 10:20:24 pm »

I actually would vadia, but I'm quite pleased with my house rep [Walz] and senators [Klobuchar, Franken].

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #10232 on: December 10, 2012, 10:51:55 pm »

Libya: Intervening to protect civilians is totally unacceptable when a democrat does it.  Never mind that we are still engaged in multiple wars that republicans started for that exact purpose.  But hey, no surprise, we saw the same damn thing in Yugoslavia.
Obamacare: Mandating people buy insurance is completely unconstitutional when democrats propose it!  Never mind that it was an idea first proposed by 19 republican senators and the republican presidential candidate at the time (Bob Dole).
Stimulus: Never, ever, ever works and is just a big handout to special interests.  That must be why Bush included stimulus in both his 2001 and 2003 budgets and why our republican appointed president of the Fed is begging us to pass more stimulus.

Even a stopped clock is right twice three times a day

Also, it's not like the Democrats totally flipped on civil liberties, the PATRIOT act, etc the instant Obama took office or anything.

Would a republican president have done differently? Those who opposed the curtailing of civil liberties never had a choice except between two evils.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #10233 on: December 10, 2012, 11:14:51 pm »

Well it punishes the virtuous capitalist who owns an insurance company and rewards the undeserving poor people who never made anything with their lives.

I'll never understand how people can be tricked into thinking this way...

My immediate reaction upon reading that sentence:  The virtuous (as defined by their success) capitalist has already, by definition, been rewarded, and therefor doesn't need the help of public institutions to pile even greater rewards upon them.  The poor may sometimes be undeserving, but they may also have all the elements necessary to be successful (I would just simplify by calling them virtuous, but in this context virtue means having already become successful...) and simply have not made it yet.  In this case, it's hard to imagine how one would argue that punishment is deserved, and likely prevents would-be successes.

I totally understand that the above is the product of billionaires protecting their status, and their propaganda machines are vast and relentless... but no amount of propaganda should be capable of making the whole ideology any less vulnerable to 2 seconds of honest critical thought.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10234 on: December 10, 2012, 11:38:09 pm »

Would a republican president have done differently? Those who opposed the curtailing of civil liberties never had a choice except between two evils.

A democrat from Seattle might have. As always, a lot of this stuff is determined long before the election, in the primaries and earlier, and like grassroots efforts for local offices by third parties, this is where many of the gains are to be made.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #10235 on: December 10, 2012, 11:53:07 pm »

First of all, the Republicans did not oppose Libya. Second, the Repblicans are filibustering not to get tax cuts, but spending cut (yes, even military), and lastly, they are not demonizing the same policies they had weeks ago, there are new strings attached.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #10236 on: December 11, 2012, 12:14:27 am »

First of all, the Republicans did not oppose Libya.

That would explain why their senate minority leader, house majority leader and presidential nominee all floated conspiracy theories about it.  Oh wait, no it doesn't.  That's because their hipocrites.

Second, the Repblicans are filibustering not to get tax cuts, but spending cut (yes, even military)

Do you not follow politics or something?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10237 on: December 11, 2012, 12:16:24 am »

That's because they're hypocrites.
Sorry, my inner Grammar Nazi just had to say "hi" :(
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10238 on: December 11, 2012, 12:46:40 am »

First of all, the Republicans did not oppose Libya. Second, the Repblicans are filibustering not to get tax cuts, but spending cut (yes, even military), and lastly, they are not demonizing the same policies they had weeks ago, there are new strings attached.

On Libya: Yes, they did, you clearly weren't paying attention at the time.

On the rest:
Their primary point of contention is to re-pass the Bush tax cuts as-is. This is not their only sticking point, but it is their MAIN sticking point (at least so far as they've said publicly).

And their "spending cuts" are not fiscal tools (look at the most recent Republican "spending cut" proposal, which manages to spend MORE than the government is spending now is entitlement, but targeted mostly towards business and entrenched interest with a side course of military-industrialism) but cultural and political ones - they want their cuts as a tool to gut Democrat-friendly programs so they can later point and say "Look! The Democrat's program isn't working!"

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10239 on: December 11, 2012, 06:40:37 am »

That's because they're hypocrites.
Sorry, my inner Grammar Nazi just had to say "hi" :(
Let's hippo-crit the hypocrits!

(I find myself advocating political violence a lot these days. Worrying.)
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10240 on: December 11, 2012, 07:31:44 am »

Well still better than hyperbrits.

Wait what?

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10241 on: December 11, 2012, 06:00:53 pm »

I look forward to hyperbits in the interest of running an aleph-two cardinality number of dwarves.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #10242 on: December 11, 2012, 06:11:45 pm »

Republicans want to cut all programs. This is not something that they want just to sabotage the Dems, they want to avoid the incoming crisis. Extending the Bush tax cuts would be a good thing, but better if we could get spending cuts too. Also, I'd like to point out the Mr. Obama could have offered the tax cuts at any time, but he chooses to do so now because he knows the Republicans are after something bigger. Spending cuts. Also, Obama had promised to cut spending before, but he hasn't. Government will not cut spending voluntarily, so we need to do it involuntarily. That is, force the spending cuts that happen if Democrats don't agree to compromise.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10243 on: December 11, 2012, 06:13:26 pm »

Or you know, raise taxes. The horror.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #10244 on: December 11, 2012, 06:15:21 pm »

Or you know, raise taxes. The horror.

Which ones? How much?
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?
Pages: 1 ... 681 682 [683] 684 685 ... 714