Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 686 687 [688] 689 690 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 720725 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread - It's Over
« Reply #10305 on: December 12, 2012, 03:48:57 am »

...am I the only one who sees that MSH prayed that Santorum would get the nomination precisely because of that?

That was the reason I brought up Bachmann and Palin. Because they're equally nutso and would stand an equally poor chance of actually winning.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10306 on: December 12, 2012, 07:18:19 am »

the altar of God, Guns, and Gays
We need someone to draw this. With a gay christian cowboy gunslinger posing on it, please.
...am I the only one who sees that MSH prayed that Santorum would get the nomination precisely because of that?
We should start a fund and get liberals to fund the most die-hard conservatives out there - that money woulld be saved later on, when the election is decided from day one.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #10307 on: December 12, 2012, 09:42:37 am »

Just because a candidate looks crazy to you doesn't mean they are not viable.   A lot of people wont think the candidate is crazy because they are conservatives.  Many others don't follow politics in the same way and will not consider the crazy an open and shut case.  Over the course of a year long campaign they will stop caring about the craziness credentials and start caring about the stuff in the campaign.  So a crazy candidate might poll badly a year in advance but the handicap will be all but gone by election day.  And giving them money just lets them close the gap faster.

In a Senate race craziness is more a of liability.  Candidates get less time in the spotlight so one legitimately horrendous comment can sink them as they don't get a chance to recover.  But Presidential races are much more high profile.

So please, please, please do not support crazy republicans.  Their nomination does not ensure democratic victory.  Their nomination makes democratic victory marginally more likely but makes the election of a crazy candidate possible.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #10308 on: December 12, 2012, 12:19:14 pm »

It's pretty saddening that parties pick candidates who could get elected, rather than candidates who should get elected. Can we have a meritocracy? Please?

Democracy is the least meritocratic form of government except for all other forms of government that have ever been tried.

Well, technically an Intelligent, Benevolent dictatorship/monarchy/whatever can be much better about having a meritocratic form of government if the successor is chosen based on merit and not blood/politics. Problem is that the chain always breaks down after 2 or 3 decent leaders and you get the usual problems that a dictatorship of any type has with a bad leader.

Democracy is only better because while it has lower highs, it has much higher lows.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10309 on: December 12, 2012, 12:25:21 pm »

I'm in favor of bringing back an elective monarchy, Holy Roman Emperor-style. Only make sure the electors aren't total fuckwits or political animals. Maybe an elector that is an outstanding figure in different realms (a hard sciences elector, an arts elector, an economics elector, a religion elector, a foreign policy elector, etc.)

Then of course, the problem becomes making sure the elector positions don't become totally corrupted. *sigh*

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10310 on: December 12, 2012, 12:26:44 pm »

I'm in favor of bringing back an elective monarchy, Holy Roman Emperor-style. Only make sure the electors aren't total fuckwits or political animals. Maybe an elector that is an outstanding figure in different realms (a hard sciences elector, an arts elector, an economics elector, a religion elector, a foreign policy elector, etc.)

Then of course, the problem becomes making sure the elector positions don't become totally corrupted. *sigh*

But who would elect the monarch? If it's the people it's basically just the same as having an electable president.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10311 on: December 12, 2012, 12:27:18 pm »

I think seperation of powers is on to something there.

Make sure the people electing the electors (Oh god I can see where this is going. Fuck it, I'm gonna finish the thought!) Make sure they have no vested interests in the position. You wouldn't have the CEOs of Goldman Sachs elect the Finance Minister, right? :P
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10312 on: December 12, 2012, 12:29:45 pm »

I think seperation of powers is on to something there.

Make sure the people electing the electors (Oh god I can see where this is going. Fuck it, I'm gonna finish the thought!) Make sure they have no vested interests in the position. You wouldn't have the CEOs of Goldman Sachs elect the Finance Minister, right? :P

But how on earth can you determine who has the vested interests and who doesn't in an efficient way? Democracy isn't perfect but, as people have said, it has the fewest disadvantages and difficulties when compared to the alternatives.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10313 on: December 12, 2012, 12:33:04 pm »

Keep in mind, I'm in favour of elections-for-life, coupled with a relatively-easy overthrowing mechanic. With that, you don't neeeed it to be efficient. You can spend 5 years figuring out who to put in power for the next 30.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10314 on: December 12, 2012, 12:34:32 pm »

I thought about something similar a few months back - I believe it would be a good idea if we gave the universities direct political powers; maybe a senate in the Roman style with its members being professors and other academics from around the country. It would (to some degree) make sure that fundies had no chance of gaining influence.
But how on earth can you determine who has the vested interests and who doesn't in an efficient way?
You can't. Let's face it, people: Rousseau sucks :P
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10315 on: December 12, 2012, 12:37:10 pm »

I don't really like the whole "let's leave it up to the 'geniuses' in universities to elect our governments" stuff. There are people well outside universities and similar institutions who are better placed to elect our leaders.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #10316 on: December 12, 2012, 12:40:59 pm »

This is why we need to create an immortal hyper intelligent perfectly moral AI to be our absolute leader. What could possibly go wrong?
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10317 on: December 12, 2012, 12:46:09 pm »

This is why we need to create an immortal hyper intelligent perfectly moral AI to be our absolute leader. What could possibly go wrong?
The Computer is your friend!
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #10318 on: December 12, 2012, 12:47:50 pm »

The Computer is your friend!

>>FRIENDSHIP.EXE
>>FILE NOT FOUND!

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10319 on: December 12, 2012, 12:52:40 pm »

I don't really like the whole "let's leave it up to the 'geniuses' in universities to elect our governments" stuff. There are people well outside universities and similar institutions who are better placed to elect our leaders.
The problem's not that there's too few good people, but that we don't know which ones are good. There certainly are good people outside of universities, but more of them inside.
And that's also the reason why university people should not be supreme leaders: The advantage is not that each of them is perfect, but that the collective is good. Hence, the senate.
The Bay12 postcard club
Pages: 1 ... 686 687 [688] 689 690 ... 714