Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 691 692 [693] 694 695 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 721131 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread - It's Over
« Reply #10380 on: December 13, 2012, 11:04:36 am »

NOOO!

TOPOLOGY/ANALYSIS 2016! A mug's a donut! And a set is closed if its complement is open! And it can be open and closed at the same time! This is a winning team!
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10381 on: December 13, 2012, 11:11:50 am »

NOOO!

TOPOLOGY/ANALYSIS 2016! A mug's a donut! And a set is closed if its complement is open! And it can be open and closed at the same time! This is a winning team!
Sounds like a flip-flopper to me.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10382 on: December 13, 2012, 11:44:26 am »

To be fair algebra has rarely been constant either.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #10383 on: December 13, 2012, 11:54:39 am »

I'm just wondering what topography is plotting that makes it want this office.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10384 on: December 13, 2012, 11:55:22 am »

To be fair algebra has rarely been constant either.
He's fairly one-dimensional, at least in most areas.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #10385 on: December 13, 2012, 11:57:19 am »

But what if he is irrational or has imaginary friends? Will you root for the square?
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #10386 on: December 13, 2012, 11:57:35 am »

He's fairly one-dimensional, at least in most areas.

Hey, at least you know algebra is real.  Algebra isn't too complex for the average voter either.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10387 on: December 13, 2012, 12:03:50 pm »

And it's sneaky too. Always hiding behind things like "x". Why can't you just tell us what the answer is, algebra? What are you hiding?

Algebra isn't too complex for the average voter either.
You haven't met many average voters, have you? "Fill in the circle next to the candidate of your choice" is too difficult for more than a few.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10388 on: December 13, 2012, 12:05:04 pm »

At the end of the day, the Supreme Court is the highest court in the land and their word is Law, state power notwithstanding.
Their interpretation is Law. But they can't make laws, and it would be hard to argue the Supreme Court would ever rule on this to begin with - what law does the current situation clash with, that they could pass down some sort of directive? I honestly don't know.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10389 on: December 13, 2012, 12:11:57 pm »

At the end of the day, the Supreme Court is the highest court in the land and their word is Law, state power notwithstanding.
Their interpretation is Law. But they can't make laws, and it would be hard to argue the Supreme Court would ever rule on this to begin with - what law does the current situation clash with, that they could pass down some sort of directive? I honestly don't know.
The intentional subversion of the democratic process outlined in the Constitution for the purpose of partisan political gain.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10390 on: December 13, 2012, 12:16:48 pm »

Not to mention that the SC has already decided (League of United Latin American Citizens v. Perry, 548 U.S. 399) that state legislatures can redistrict whenever and however the hell they want to, as long as no racial minority is demonstrably harmed and the state redistricts at least once every ten years. They can redistrict every month if they felt like it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10391 on: December 13, 2012, 12:18:32 pm »

That would seem to be a point in my court, since it shows the SC is willing to rule on this subject. They've reversed themselves before. Hell, they've reversed themselves on pretty much everything over the years.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10392 on: December 13, 2012, 12:29:03 pm »

Considering that decision was a majority liberal opinion (Scalia and Thomas were the dissenters) upholding a map drawn by Tom fuckin' DeLay, I don't see them reversing anything anytime soon. Both parties benefit from it, so their appointees are unlikely to reverse it.

I think it's interesting that the census-year elections have become some of the most hotly contested ones at the state level. Parties pour shitloads of money into the state legislature races in 2000, 2010 etc. because they know whoever wins the legislature in a state will control the redistricting and thus be able to solidify their party's advantages (and erode those of their opponent) at the Congressional level.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10393 on: December 15, 2012, 03:20:41 am »

And it's sneaky too. Always hiding behind things like "x". Why can't you just tell us what the answer is, algebra? What are you hiding?
What the hell is with algebra, man? Always asking me to find its x. No, I won't find your x, and I won't tell you y it left you, either.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10394 on: December 15, 2012, 10:04:04 am »

z is running the table on the whole campaign.
Pages: 1 ... 691 692 [693] 694 695 ... 714