Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 701 702 [703] 704 705 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 717561 times)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread - It's Over
« Reply #10530 on: January 01, 2013, 05:29:32 pm »

In other news, I became the 63rd person to like the Facebook page "Herman Cain 2016".

Let's make this happen. (In the primaries, at least).

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10531 on: January 01, 2013, 05:46:48 pm »

In other news, I became the 63rd person to like the Facebook page "Herman Cain 2016".

Pff I'm still voting jimmy mcmillan whether he runs or not.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10532 on: January 01, 2013, 05:53:30 pm »

I'm voting for Dread Cthulhu, and by "voting" I mean "blood sacrifice I'a! I'a!".
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #10533 on: January 01, 2013, 05:55:40 pm »

I didn't know concrete DoD cuts, direct cuts from programs, or the scrapping of certain Federal departments counted as "impossible to judge", but okay. Certainly easier to judge than "tax increases", which have no guaranteed associated increase in revenue whatsoever, though.

I counted the DoD cuts.  The other stuff was absurdly vague.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #10534 on: January 01, 2013, 09:38:23 pm »

I didn't know concrete DoD cuts, direct cuts from programs, or the scrapping of certain Federal departments counted as "impossible to judge", but okay. Certainly easier to judge than "tax increases", which have no guaranteed associated increase in revenue whatsoever, though.

I counted the DoD cuts.  The other stuff was absurdly vague.

Such as? I was under the impression you were aware of at least some of the "proposals", all of which generally say exactly how much would be cut from each department.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10535 on: January 02, 2013, 01:49:21 am »

Huntsman/Colbert, thankyouverymuch
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #10536 on: January 02, 2013, 02:18:40 am »

brain tick... must verify, may be confusing two distant candidates.

Yea, I was thinking of someone else.

Ignore me.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 02:23:23 am by Nadaka »
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10537 on: January 03, 2013, 03:28:39 am »

I'm personally hoping Obama goes for the Platinum Coin option. Here's how it works:

1. Section K of 31 USC § 5112, the "Denominations, specifications, and design of coins" section of federal law reads as follows:
The Secretary may mint and issue platinum bullion coins and proof platinum coins in accordance with such specifications, designs, varieties, quantities, denominations, and inscriptions as the Secretary, in the Secretary’s discretion, may prescribe from time to time.
That's it. That's the entire US law regarding what kind of platinum coins the Secretary of the Treasury can issue.
2. The President can make the Secretary of the Treasury mint coins by executive order.
3. If Obama wants, he can sign an executive order ordering the Secretary of the Treasury to issue four platinum coins worth one trillion dollars each.
4. Presto! The budget is now balanced due to a sudden influx of 4 trillion dollars into the Federal Reserve which can then be used to pay off outstanding treasury bonds and get rid of the debt that those represent, pushing congress miles away from the debt ceiling.
5. Everyone briefly flips their shit, but eventually calms down, just like when we went off the gold standard. Demand for treasury bonds goes up hugely, because the Treasury just did something big to say that they are super serious about being willing to pay back those bonds no matter how stupid Congress gets about the budget.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10538 on: January 03, 2013, 03:33:32 am »

That is crazy and would destroy the economy.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10539 on: January 03, 2013, 04:52:36 am »

Yeah, printing (or minting) that much money is going to devalue the dollar. It's just something you don't do on large scale anymore (except if you're Zimbabwe).

Actually, you could do it, but only with moderation. Another way is to have the Fed lend money at a very low rate to the US government. This way you don't increase total money in circulation a much as it's going to be paid back. Of course, you don't benefit much from that, as your interests rates are already rock-bottom.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #10540 on: January 03, 2013, 06:32:37 am »

lol, platinum coin.

Yes, let's make a coin that the government says is worth 1 trillion/4 trillion/16 trillion dollars and pay off the debt with it. It's not like that could cause the (already tenuous) US dollar to collapse or anything.

The sad thing is that there are serious economists seriously advocating that, too.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Trollheiming

• Bay Watcher
  • I do. I really do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10541 on: January 03, 2013, 08:15:11 am »

Obama seems to be thinking that if republicans let the sequester go through without more tax hikes then everyone will blame the republicans because they gave nothing away.  Obama will make offer after offer, the republicans will shoot the offers down and in the end it's the meanie republicans that everyone will (correctly blame).

My thinking is big fucking deal.  The republicans dont care that people will blame them, they have already hit rock bottom in the blame department.  But by letting the sequester go through in two months they can tank the economy and win the 2014 midterms.

How does Obama not understand at this point that he is dealing with nihilistic sociopaths?

So, in the midst of describing the Republicans as nihilistic sociopaths, you allege that Obama is playing the fiscal cliff like a hot potato, putting it into the hands of the Republican house and using the resulting damage to get everyone to blame the Republicans for the ensuing national misery. Interesting. And would not that political gain from sparking another recession be a little bit... nihilist or sociopathic, in itself? Is Obama somehow purer despite the rather chilling and unpatriotic motives that you impute to him, which sound a lot like the same motives that you impute to the Republicans?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10542 on: January 03, 2013, 09:19:16 am »

Nah, see, it's okay, because he's on our side.

It's only bad if the republicans use those tactics.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10543 on: January 03, 2013, 09:23:35 am »

So, in the midst of describing the Republicans as nihilistic sociopaths, you allege that Obama is playing the fiscal cliff like a hot potato, putting it into the hands of the Republican house and using the resulting damage to get everyone to blame the Republicans for the ensuing national misery. Interesting. And would not that political gain from sparking another recession be a little bit... nihilist or sociopathic, in itself? Is Obama somehow purer despite the rather chilling and unpatriotic motives that you impute to him, which sound a lot like the same motives that you impute to the Republicans?
Thanks for showcasing the talking point mainiac shot down! I too ♥ Obama, I hope we can be friends.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10544 on: January 03, 2013, 01:19:16 pm »

And we've got the House doing their own election - Pelosi vs Boehner. As a filthy commie leftist Marxist dirty liberal hippie, I'm naturally leaning for Pelosi, although I have to admit Boehner is a funny name.

It's rather amusing when the woman leading the thing (who is she?) calls on someone who's not there and is like, "[NAME] of [STATE]... [NAME]... [NAME]... [NAME], are you there?"
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.
Pages: 1 ... 701 702 [703] 704 705 ... 714