Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 845

Author Topic: Random Things you drew/shopped/made/etc.  (Read 1282686 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: Random Things you drew/shopped/made/etc.
« Reply #1560 on: November 21, 2013, 03:07:17 pm »

are you sure it isn't a failed submarine?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Steeled

• Bay Watcher
  • 1. To cover, plate, edge, or point with steel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: November 21, 2013, 08:00:33 pm »

Oh, if you don't mind me asking, where do you get your metal? Is it some sort of online supplier or is it a local business?
For mild steel you would have to be insane to purchase online. I normally go to junkyards, scrapyards, or just find my mild steel laying about, it's almost everywhere people are. For most of my tool steel I also go to the scrapyard, axles and tension bars are good for most things. Sometimes I buy O-1 and W-1 online if someone wants a really nice knife.

Remember metal is everywhere and if given enough time I can rend a 2" thick bar into 1/8".

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: November 21, 2013, 08:17:24 pm »

Is there any particular reason you use anthracite? IIRC that's a hard coal, and as such doesn't coke well. I use bituminous because it does coke, which means as it burns, the impurities are released as smoke, and what you are left with is a light, brittle lump of almost pure carbon. It reflects heat really well, and burns clean, after all the sulfur and such has been burnt out.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Steeled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: November 21, 2013, 09:15:37 pm »

It's cheap and it's all I can find in my area. It does burn hotter than bituminous coal, you can still forge weld with it, and because it doesn't coke as well the coal (I use pea coal) stays in constant contact with the metal heating it up faster.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: November 21, 2013, 09:42:14 pm »

Ah. I got lucky and was able to order it through my local hardware store, though I do have to order enough to make it worth their while. And be aware that when the metal is in contact with the coal, it is absorbing some of the impurities in the coal. The same is also true of coke, but the effect is lessened by having most of them burnt out by that point. All in all, it's probably not going to affect your products all that much, aside from everything being just a little more brittle than normal.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: November 22, 2013, 01:37:42 pm »

I made a Hello World program in Java! There is absolutely nothing unusual about it whatsoever, as you can see if you download and compile it.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: November 22, 2013, 01:48:25 pm »

I made a Hello World program in Java! There is absolutely nothing unusual about it whatsoever, as you can see if you download and compile it.

You...

You have too much time on your hands.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: November 22, 2013, 01:53:25 pm »

You...

You have too much time on your hands.

It only took a hour, but it felt far longer.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: November 23, 2013, 02:15:16 am »

Have you considered mastering brainfuck?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Steeled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: November 24, 2013, 01:32:39 am »

8" long blade 3/8" thick. It was made from coilspring. The handle is temporary.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: November 25, 2013, 08:02:22 pm »

Rather than a second attempt in as many days at modeling a dinosaur head without starting from mashing spheres together, I decided to make another attempt at a human-like head ... I'm thinking maybe I should try a method of shading more effort-intensive than multiply/screen layers with colors opposite each other on the color wheel.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #1571 on: November 25, 2013, 08:22:33 pm »

Is that a half-elf and half-orc? :U
Looks pretty good actually, although he/she/it doesn't have much of a jaw to speak of. :P

Also, regarding shadows, it's generally agreed upon to be a good practice to both desaturate the shadow somewhat and shift it towards a different colour. I personally use blue most of the time, since things being outside under a blue sky tend to have slightly bluish shadows.

in fact i tried doing so on this fish i drew on the behest of a guy i had promised a doodle of his choice

Suffice to say i got a bit lazy with the fins. :I
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: November 25, 2013, 09:59:45 pm »

Is that a half-elf and half-orc? :U
Looks pretty good actually, although he/she/it doesn't have much of a jaw to speak of. :P

Also, regarding shadows, it's generally agreed upon to be a good practice to both desaturate the shadow somewhat and shift it towards a different colour. I personally use blue most of the time, since things being outside under a blue sky tend to have slightly bluish shadows.
Yes, it is an elf/orc. I tried a bigger jaw, but it looked sillier and had to be reverted. I'll try to remember to desaturate shadows. (I mostly use blue shadows because my lights are usually orangeish.)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: November 26, 2013, 10:29:35 am »

How sharp is it then? What did you make it in? How long did you take?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Lost in Nowhere

• Bay Watcher
  • AHAHAHAHA~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: November 26, 2013, 06:58:56 pm »

That. Is. Amazing.
It does makes it look like you have too much time on your hands...
And so I strike, like an unseen dodge ball in an echoing gymnasium!
Another book entitled Start Your Day with Extinction.
Must be the next book in the series after Start Your Day with Death.
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 845