Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 845

Author Topic: Random Things you drew/shopped/made/etc.  (Read 1282835 times)

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
Re: Random Things you drew/shopped/made/etc.
« Reply #3690 on: December 13, 2014, 05:39:09 pm »

@Dark
Worm-like creatures always freak me out, especially centipedes. Any small creature with pincers or no legs, really. >_>
What were your ideas for the game play mechanics, by the way? SRPG or some kind of XCOM-like tactics system? Looks like you could get something Fire Emblem style with that design.
By the way, I think your main landmass looks quite like a very fat bloodhound with its legs cut off (the front left one was left with a little bone nub), wearing a small hat, having its back on fire and with a foot growing off of its snout. I'm sorry if this ends up with you redrawing your map because you can't un-see it. xD

Anyway, this is basically an introductory post. I doubt any later ones will have quite so much writing and stuff in them.
Since I'm new here, I'll just put up a few random things. I'm a semi-veteran forum signature/phone background maker (working with renders in particular, I don't enjoy using stocks) and 'aspiring' artist (I say aspiring because while I am very interested in learning to draw, I need to get a tablet for the kind of stuff I want to do and that seems to be taking far too long) .

Assorted signatures. Quality may be spotty since they're from all over the place timeline-wise. I'm very off-and-on when it comes to these things, hence why I'm only passable despite having technically been doing it for about 4-5 years now.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Two phone backgrounds. The images get massively larger when viewed on a computer because the ppi between monitors and phones is so different. I actually have trouble making these, because my normal resources tend to only baaaarely fit.

These two drawings were done in Photoshop without reference using a computer mouse (since I don't have a tablet). It was an ungodly pain in the ass but I wasn't expecting them to look half-decent, surprisingly they ended up quite well (for me at least). I guess that's the power of digital drawing. It almost feels like cheating, but once I'm doing more complicated stuff it probably won't. xD

Last but not least, one two year old pencil drawing done free hand using this (http://www.itattooz.com/itattooz/Scary/Reaper/itattooz-grim-reaper-angel-tattoo.jpg) as a reference. (Not that exact image, but a very similar one. This drawing seems to be a pretty popular one.)
Obviously the reference is of vastly superior quality, but I thought it was quite good considering I'd never really drawn before at that point. >_>
In case you can't tell, I haven't improved all that much over the years, mostly due to lack of dedicated practice.
Apologies for the terrible image quality and lighting. It was taken by a crappy phone camera as I have no scanner (the image itself was taken two years ago as well.)

Ending notes:

As a signature maker, I'm a bit sad that these forums have an insanely tiny image size limit for signatures (though it's understandable. >_>)
Also, is it just me or is it impossible to stack spoilers? I wanted to have far less writing cluttering up the page but I couldn't spoiler spoilers.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 05:45:12 pm by UXLZ »
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3691 on: December 13, 2014, 06:28:22 pm »

@Dark
Worm-like creatures always freak me out, especially centipedes. Any small creature with pincers or no legs, really. >_>
What were your ideas for the game play mechanics, by the way? SRPG or some kind of XCOM-like tactics system? Looks like you could get something Fire Emblem style with that design.
By the way, I think your main landmass looks quite like a very fat bloodhound with its legs cut off (the front left one was left with a little bone nub), wearing a small hat, having its back on fire and with a foot growing off of its snout. I'm sorry if this ends up with you redrawing your map because you can't un-see it. xD

The game would be similar to Heroes of Might and Magic in...a lot of aspects, but I did have some original ideas in mind based on my own design principles, although I'm just doing it for fun more than anything because I probably can't afford to actually develop that thing. :/
In short though, it's a blend of a turn-based strategy with a role-playing game - you get a hero (or heroes, later on) who you move around the map, collecting resources and such and fighting with the creatures under their command while upgrading your cities where you can purchase and upgrade units as well as do other things. You also fight other heroes and conquer their towns to eventually come out victorious.

I'll probably make a thread for this soon-ish. I'm still salty over losing those docs, I had almost all the factions finished... :/

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #3692 on: December 13, 2014, 07:24:15 pm »

@Dark

The game would be similar to Heroes of Might and Magic in...a lot of aspects, but I did have some original ideas in mind based on my own design principles, although I'm just doing it for fun more than anything because I probably can't afford to actually develop that thing. :/
In short though, it's a blend of a turn-based strategy with a role-playing game - you get a hero (or heroes, later on) who you move around the map, collecting resources and such and fighting with the creatures under their command while upgrading your cities where you can purchase and upgrade units as well as do other things. You also fight other heroes and conquer their towns to eventually come out victorious.

I'll probably make a thread for this soon-ish. I'm still salty over losing those docs, I had almost all the factions finished... :/

It's always nice to dream, right?
Ah, I don't believe I've ever really played the HoMaM games before. I think the only ones I've every given a shot were 2 and 3 on the Game Boy Color or something. xD
They were reasonably fun, but so overwhelmingly generic. Kind of like a 4x game with slightly better combat but worse cities. I *do* like the idea of the heroes though.
Truth be told, I kind of dislike games with no story. >_>
(Single player games that is.)
Hmm... I can see how that game concept you have could be really fun, though. A HoMaM game with creatures that aren't boring. (They've probably gotten better since the GBC days, but those ones were like: Dragon, Goblin, Snakeman, Hydra, Griffin. So boring. xD)
I'm liking the look of that worm concept page. It's a good mix of the familiar and not familiar.
I'm also really liking the idea of a Fire Emblem style game set in that world though. I've already got an epic story going through my mind just looking at the map.

Sorry, this kind of ended up as nearly a stream of consciousness sort of thing. I'll definitely give the thread you make a look, though. It sounds fun.

To not stray too far off topic, more random stuff!

The circle is complete.

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3693 on: December 13, 2014, 07:38:21 pm »

So, I've had a very simple symbol thing stuck in my head for the past week or so, and as such it is all over my schoolwork. I did attempt to put it into paint, but it turned out badly, so I shaded it to make it look slightly better.
Spoiler: The Paint Version (click to show/hide)
I'll scan in a few from random pieces of paper I drew on:
Spoiler: Infinitely Better (click to show/hide)
As for the text on the pencil ones, recently I thought of a few ideas for a thing I was working on a long time ago. The text illustrates a couple of them.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 07:40:27 pm by XXXXYYYY »
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #3694 on: December 13, 2014, 07:44:47 pm »

I think your air elemental and fire elemental symbols are a bit too similar. >_>
I really like that line in the first picture though.
The circle is complete.

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3695 on: December 13, 2014, 07:58:10 pm »

I think your air elemental and fire elemental symbols are a bit too similar. >_>
I really like that line in the first picture though.
Yeah, they are. The main difference is that air has the "wind lines", while fire was closed and shaded end to center, though the wind lines aren't present in the last picture yet. I don't really know what to do for air. :/
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #3696 on: December 13, 2014, 08:02:14 pm »

If you rotate it 90 degrees clockwise it's a pretty common symbol for air/waves, I believe. If you absolutely must use that symbol in it, I'd suggest three small ones in a triangle formation. (One at the top, two at the bottom.) You could also do that with the rotated version and see how it looks.
The circle is complete.

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3697 on: December 13, 2014, 08:22:29 pm »

I finally got a stable internet connection back after a spiteful tree took out my phone line a day before Thanksgiving (November 23, for those of you who don't care about American holidays), and I have a whopping nothing to show for all the time I had alone with Inkscape. I spent more time writing down ideas that I had instead of drawing them.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3698 on: December 14, 2014, 09:37:51 am »

Spoiler: CLOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDS (click to show/hide)
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #3699 on: December 14, 2014, 08:46:21 pm »

THOSE ARE DEFINITELY CLOUDS

Quite an interesting style you got going there, it's quite... I dunno, sort of abstract but also clearly readable. IS NICE AND I LIKE IT.

in other news here's a snake with goggles

no i don't entirely know why i drew grids on its head
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3700 on: December 14, 2014, 08:49:31 pm »

To better play tic-tac-toe, obviously.

Either that, or he's super-senpai-blushu-blushu, desu~
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3701 on: December 14, 2014, 09:36:19 pm »

Because he's all rough from the wind.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3702 on: December 14, 2014, 10:39:40 pm »

Grids are a good way to suggest scales. Little stylized maybe, but it fits! Not that that snake cares; he's too cool for our petty concerns =D

Did you paint this with a putty knife or similar? It's a very neat style. Gives me a futuristic alien-planet sorta feel, for some reason.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #3703 on: December 14, 2014, 11:28:56 pm »

Did you paint this with a putty knife or similar? It's a very neat style. Gives me a futuristic alien-planet sorta feel, for some reason.

It looks kind of like pastel to me, but some of the parts don't quite add up. It's definitely a very neat style, though. (It gave me a sort of steampunk/fantasy england feeling. The tower looks like it's built out of some bronze-like metal, with a sail on top.)
Do you think the reason for your futuristic alien-planet is coming from the streaks of red in the 'grass'?
The circle is complete.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3704 on: December 15, 2014, 01:11:31 am »

Partly that, yeah. Red grass, very thin rock mesa (or possibly a dead tree?), large moon rising behind the dark lower clouds on the right (probably just another wisp of cloud, but it looks like a moon to me). It's earth-ish but not quite earth. And it's so sky-focused, drawing the eye up through progressively darker stages of blue crossed by what look to be very noticeable jet contrails... Person on the branch is dreaming of distant worlds, I'd be willing to bet.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 845