Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 544 545 [546] 547 548 ... 845

Author Topic: Random Things you drew/shopped/made/etc.  (Read 1282852 times)

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
Re: Random Things you drew/shopped/made/etc.
« Reply #8175 on: January 26, 2017, 10:59:17 pm »

Not sure if I should put this here, the writing thread, or make a new thread, but I'm making my first conlang and its going great!

I'm calling it Gaumus, and its kinda inspired by the Scandinavian languages, the main problem being I don't know what any of those languages sound like and now that I'm thinking about it it sorta reminds me of Arabic in some ways.  Anyway, I've got all the sounds I want in it (a, i, u, ai, au, p, t, k, b, d, g, m, n, ɾ, ɹ, s, z, ʔ) and I've got enough grammar to say a lot of stuff, even if I have next to no vocab done.  Also there's still the issue of the alphabet which I still need to come up with all the characters.

In any case, I just need to flesh out the way sounds interact as well as the rest of the grammar, also creating TONS of vocabulary, and then I can start actually writing in it!  Hooray!

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #8176 on: January 27, 2017, 12:22:45 am »

Nice work! Conlangs are cool. Are you using it for a work of fiction, or just for fun?

One thing I wanna say, though--I have a basic knowledge of Norwegian, and that alphabet doesn't really scream "Scandinavian" to me--it's missing a lot of sounds fundamental to the Scandinavian languages, like "æ", "o", "ø", "e" and "j".
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
« Reply #8177 on: January 27, 2017, 11:02:50 am »

Nice work! Conlangs are cool. Are you using it for a work of fiction, or just for fun?

One thing I wanna say, though--I have a basic knowledge of Norwegian, and that alphabet doesn't really scream "Scandinavian" to me--it's missing a lot of sounds fundamental to the Scandinavian languages, like "æ", "o", "ø", "e" and "j".
Thanks!  I'm just doing it for fun, and when I said "kinda inspired" I meant that I have no clue what Norwegian, Danish, Swedish, or Icelandic sound like but I wanted to make it sound Viking-ey :P

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8178 on: January 27, 2017, 11:13:03 am »

Argh! Kulturell appropriation, min herre! Buu!

Heh, joke aside, it is a rather amusing idea. If you are unsure (and if you are willing to do the research), I would suggest looking up some Nordic-language videos on Youtube, as a way to get a feeling for the way the language sounds and its rythm.
If you are putting an emphasis on making it Norse, then I would suggest focusing on Icelandic, it is the language that is the most similar to the old Norse the Vikings would have spoken. It is not entirely the same, but it is as close as one would likely get after one thousand years.

Good luck!

EDIT: I ought to contribute something for the thread, I feel. I boasted a bit about it already in the Aurora thread, but I am far too happy of how the blasted thing turned out to not boast about it here, too.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I made a nice flag for my custom alien race of Byzantine space goats (Draenei? Never heard of 'em) in Aurora 4X. I do like purple, and I think I managed to space-ify the Chi-Rho quite well.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 11:31:05 am by Silverthrone »

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8179 on: January 27, 2017, 09:05:30 pm »

i've come with another batch of monster sketches. mostly birbs

hope you like it....

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8180 on: January 27, 2017, 10:10:58 pm »

Some sort of practice I guess, still not entirely sold on how the reflections came out, I know it's technically correct and how they work, but they still somehow feel wrong, can't put my finger on the exact reason tho :V
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8181 on: January 28, 2017, 07:05:33 am »

Jopax, I don't have any advice to impart, but I like the subtle variations in the blue, and the texturing imparted by them chunky brush-strokes. Featureless Bird Helmet is also V. Nice!

Been practicing pixel-perfect illustration styles and technique and shit lately. Few days back, I saw an "introduce yourself graphically" sort of hashtag floating around among the Art People I follow on Twitter. Thought it'd be fun to try a self-portrait again as part of it, since it's been quite a few years!
Now if only someone would tag me so I don't have to just invite myself to participate. ._.;

This one was based on a particularly nice photo someone took recently. P.S. I need a haircut. :U
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 04:03:07 am by Solifuge »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #8182 on: January 28, 2017, 10:52:18 am »

Some sort of practice I guess, still not entirely sold on how the reflections came out, I know it's technically correct and how they work, but they still somehow feel wrong, can't put my finger on the exact reason tho :V
The cape feels blurry compared to the rest of the subject, which looks quite good. I feel like we should see just a hint of his chin from this angle. Overall it looks very nice. The only place I would complain about the lighting is on the cape.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8183 on: January 28, 2017, 01:33:48 pm »

Aye, should've prolly switched to a different brush for the cape but it was kinda 5 AM and I was feeling lazy :V

About the chin, you mean sticking out under the beak? In which case no, it's kinda headless, I did have a variant with a head in it but didn't go for it, liked the empty version more.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #8184 on: January 29, 2017, 09:06:22 pm »

Been practicing pixel-perfect illustration styles and technique and shit lately. Few days back, I saw an "introduce yourself graphically" sort of hashtag floating around among the Art People I follow on Twitter. Thought it'd be fun to try a self-portrait again as part of it, since it's been quite a few years!
Now if only someone would tag me so I don't have to just invite myself to participate. ._.;

This one was based on a particularly nice photo someone took recently. P.S. I need a haircut. :U
I LIKE THIS STYLE IT LOOKS GOOD

and so do you for that matter

Also it's apparently been a while since i've drawn a dragon more seriously, so i thought like hey, why not try and illustrate one of the fairly recent additions to my ever-expanding repetoire of characters?

Spoiler: derg (click to show/hide)

A primordial* frost dragon named Tyranice. He's a pretty nice guy nowadays (he and his fiery twin brother got tired of being destructive monsters), but has a bodycount of humanoids in the upper end of five digits. Considering his age and power, that's actually not that high. :v

* Basically means super old, super powerful and actually intelligent, in a world where regular dragons aren't any smarter than mundane predators. Also worth noting is that regular dragons are scared shitless by primordials.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #8185 on: January 30, 2017, 02:09:21 am »

Anyone have experience with Audacity or sound in general? I've been working on a creepy alien computer voice and I managed to come up with this cool effect, but I'm not sure how to duplicate it for further lines:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/224772889449070592/275439770262437909/YinControllerTest01.ogg

Jopax, I don't have any advice to impart, but I like the subtle variations in the blue, and the texturing imparted by them chunky brush-strokes. Featureless Bird Helmet is also V. Nice!

Hey, that's a very nice look! Almost seems like a vector art, but I can tell it was drawn with brush tools. Hand-drawn gives one a lot more nuance in the thickness of lines, and thus greater control over perceptions of curvature and thin shading elements.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #8186 on: January 30, 2017, 04:30:18 am »

0--0
The cape feels blurry compared to the rest of the subject, which looks quite good. I feel like we should see just a hint of his chin from this angle. Overall it looks very nice. The only place I would complain about the lighting is on the cape.

The left arm looks slightly off to me in addition.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #8187 on: January 30, 2017, 09:55:03 am »

The perspective makes it tricky to tell if its origin is correct.

I like it, but I feel compelled to point out as a pundit for realistic armour that that kit would effectively immobilise them. :/ Looks good, though.

Edit:

Having just claimed to be a pundit for realistic armour, have an exercise in trying not to draw realistic armour in order to make it look better. Also a lot of other things.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 01:55:33 pm by Arx »

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8188 on: January 30, 2017, 07:42:55 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8_PUFuXLqs

Animation again. Converting to gifs without losing frames seems impossible.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #8189 on: January 31, 2017, 12:58:18 am »

Drew this in a few hours over two days (couple hours sunk total) in Aseprite.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 01:12:23 am by GUNINANRUNIN »
Pages: 1 ... 544 545 [546] 547 548 ... 845