Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XXX - Game Over! Mafia Win!  (Read 60568 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XXX - Game Over! Mafia Win!
« Reply #315 on: February 23, 2012, 08:36:12 pm »

I've had an interesting thought about playing D1 BMs now, which is to just ignore the role PM until the first night. Since there are no roles that can do anything during the day, it might be a good way to force yourselves to play as town. Also is there any chance I could mod a BM in the future?

That's actually a good way to play.  I often type up my first post before reading my role PM.  The only time I change it afterwards is if I need to claim miller* which is something I personally do in my first post of the game if it applies.

You (or anyone) should probably get a couple more games under your belt before modding.

*A town role that investigates as scum
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Strategia

• Bay Watcher
  • Cheese is essential to any successful fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: February 23, 2012, 08:57:30 pm »

Game Over! Phantom of the Library and zombie urist win!

HA!

Also, sorry for disappearing after my last post, I missed one update email and completely forgot about the game for a week =/ By the time I remembered to check, I felt it was too late even for a BAH! post. Still, it feels good to know that my initial hunch was entirely correct, even if I did approach it in entirely the wrong way. I'll be keeping an eye on this forum, and if another BM starts up, and I feel I can set aside the time and attention the game needs, I'll try again. It was a brief, but fun experience.

So first off, I would like to apologize to Strategia, it was really hard on me to attack him like that.

No hard feelings, it's part of the game. And hey, it worked. :P

I was really surprised when Strategia replaced in and pretty much immediately identified Phantom and I as scum. That scared me for quite a while.

I picked Phantom basically for RVS, but then I had a hunch, that turned into a niggling suspicion at the back of my mind that wouldn't go away, that turned into..... well, me getting hanged. Could've had a better outcome, but yeah. The problem was that that niggling suspicion was basically all I had, like I said at some point; I strongly suspected you, but trying to formulate a line of questioning or evidence was like trying to grasp mist. That's literally what went through my mind when I thought about how to pressure you, I just couldn't form any kind of coherent argument as to why I was convinced you were scum.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: February 23, 2012, 10:09:45 pm »

I KNEW IT. IT WAS PHANTOM AND ZOMBIE URIST!!!

. . .

I'm practically the worst cop ever.

Roleblock day 1: Phantom.

Day 2: Zombie Urist > NK

. . .

Thanks for the forewarning Mod Webadict. He PM'ed me this.
I feel bad for you man. You were totally unlucky.
You were killed, but do you want me to ruin the surprise for you?

Oh yes. The best cop ever. Now to read the scumchat and double post my concealed rage. [/sarcasm]

But still, good work scum. You fooled the town. Hurrah!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: February 23, 2012, 10:16:01 pm »

Phantom:  You did a very good job of handling D3 pressure and getting it to go away.  Keeping calm and rational is an excellent way to not get lynched.   That, and "act like you are town" are the two best pieces of advice I can give to any aspiring mafioso.

I'm curious to see the post you didn't post.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: February 23, 2012, 10:20:17 pm »

So first off, I would like to apologize to Strategia, it was really hard on me to attack him like that. 

Second I would like to say, that, while I really enjoy Mafia, it's very hard on me, like Chaos I find it hard to insult anybody, unless I'm angry at them, (which is ridiculously rare, but it does happen) or it's in a game setting, even then it's a bit on the hard side.  So I might be taking a break before I do any more, it wears me out a bit emotionally.

Third, I was wondering if the IC(s), mod and/or any of the experienced watchers could give an analyzation of my play.  I really want to know how well I did and any flaws I need to correct.
I have to agree on all three. I'm not that good too with intimidation, but that's what formatting is for.  :P

I knew my intuition was telling the truth on "Why Strategia?!". If only you posted.  :'(

Request Player Analysis

I'm ready to take harsh criticism on how I play.

. . .

I had a hidden card up my sleeve on you ZU if I survived in day 3. Now that you're all clear in the Scumchat, I knew I should've ratified my wording. I got suspicious when both Phantom and ZU were doing 'successful' scumhunting there, knowing I'm town, deciding to push on one.

Though, failed. T'was hard to restrain myself from bumping the thread for those busy in Day 3. Good work again scum!

zombie urist: What do you mean by "fun to play with" when you referred to me?  :P

Also, Toaster, how did I perform from the scum IC's eyes?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: February 23, 2012, 10:22:03 pm »

Err... I confess I wasn't analyzing the play of the town.  You'll have to ask Jim or Dariush. Given that you didn't get lynched, it couldn't have been too bad!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: February 23, 2012, 10:25:21 pm »

Nah, I had something telling me I did play bad, so waiting for full player analysis if possible from anyone.

Also, when Jim posted he wasn't dead on the start of Day 3 continued the WIFOM of "Why am I not dead." that was said by Andrew. Why didn't anyone take that down? Just curious here.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: February 23, 2012, 10:29:28 pm »

Also, when Jim posted he wasn't dead on the start of Day 3 continued the WIFOM of "Why am I not dead." that was said by Andrew. Why didn't anyone take that down? Just curious here.
I wasn't paying strong attention, but most likely because it's a common newbie mistake and he wasn't pushing it too hard or in a scummy fashion. It was more that noobish "Wait a second, I've found something!" that someone then has to explain is worthless.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: February 23, 2012, 10:37:24 pm »

Second I would like to say, that, while I really enjoy Mafia, it's very hard on me, like Chaos I find it hard to insult anybody, unless I'm angry at them, (which is ridiculously rare, but it does happen) or it's in a game setting, even then it's a bit on the hard side.  So I might be taking a break before I do any more, it wears me out a bit emotionally.

Mafia is a game of observation and intuition and analysis. It's not even about the insults, and the insults only come from hostile posturing to get what you want out of another player.

It's not about the goddamn insults.

Third, I was wondering if the IC(s), mod and/or any of the experienced watchers could give an analyzation of my play.  I really want to know how well I did and any flaws I need to correct.

You did well.

Just don't overdo the FoSes. It's a common mistake that new players make, because they know they have to look like they're scumhunting, but it's difficult for them to lie and accuse and vote somebody of being scum when they know they're not, so instead, they FoS them, because it's a weaker, less aggressive gesture. It's something that takes a few games as scum to get over. I mean, really, it's pretty much just a matter of experience.

Because if you hadn't done your FoS at lylo, then I would've been completely blind to even the idea of you being scum.

And finally, would you recommend that I do another BM, or do you think that I'm ready for a full game?

I'd say you're ready.

Going in to games with more experienced players, just keep in mind that since you're still inexperienced, you will make mistakes that you don't know you're making and get in hot water because of it. Don't worry about it too much. Just remember that you're learning.

Request Player Analysis

You'll do good once you get some experience under your belt. You're active, you're obviously interested, you're aggressive. Now all you need to do is learn what makes a player scum. That comes with experience, so go out there and get it, tiger!

I think some of your attacks were off base, but I didn't give you too much crap about it because I don't like shutting new players down if they're busy being active and aggressive, despite being mistaken about the basis of their attacks. Usually it takes a game or two for a player's scum radar to get pointed in the same general direction as everybody else's, even if it's still not perfectly tuned yet.

I, uh, hope this satisfies you. I don't know if you wanted a more in depth analysis or not. I think you did well.

Losses =/= failure for Beginner's Mafias. The whole point is to learn and give you that critical mafia experience.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO: SUDDEN DISAPPEARANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: February 23, 2012, 11:02:58 pm »

Mafia is a game of observation and intuition and analysis. It's not even about the insults, and the insults only come from hostile posturing to get what you want out of another player.

It's not about the goddamn insults.
I know that it's not, but the fact remains that I'm still insulting people sometimes, I'll probably get used to it after a few games, hopefully.

Thank you for your analysis, it was very much appreciated.
Gnosis - Torn Ajar -- Text Suggestion Games.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: February 23, 2012, 11:04:34 pm »

Agreed- as a whole, everyone seemed to play well.  I'd be happy to face any of you in a regular game. Also, getting thrown into the ring with some hardened veterans will give you a hell of an education in a hurry.

As far as insults go, most people here only apply them in the context of the game.  Outside, we're mostly friendly and cuddly.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: February 23, 2012, 11:07:28 pm »

Agreed- as a whole, everyone seemed to play well.  I'd be happy to face any of you in a regular game. Also, getting thrown into the ring with some hardened veterans will give you a hell of an education in a hurry.

As far as insults go, most people here only apply them in the context of the game.  Outside, we're mostly friendly and cuddly.

I'm one to agree with this. Bring on your pokerface Phantom, you did it well here. But don't let this post influence that.

Oh, and new BM up for anyone else who hasn't noticed.

No deadchat btw.

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO: SUDDEN DISAPPEARANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: February 23, 2012, 11:21:26 pm »

I'm one to agree with this. Bring on your pokerface Phantom, you did it well here. But don't let this post influence that.
It's been brought.  You see this quarter-mask? It covers up the quarter of my face that shows emotion. 

Bring it.

Also, couldn't you provide the link to the deadchat?
Gnosis - Torn Ajar -- Text Suggestion Games.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: February 23, 2012, 11:33:15 pm »

I don't think webadict made a deadchat.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: February 24, 2012, 12:26:46 am »

Even Dariush?
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23