Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 130

Author Topic: ___/The Writer's Apprenticeship\___  (Read 301274 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: ___/The Writer's Apprenticeship\___
« Reply #660 on: February 06, 2014, 01:13:26 am »

I don't mind.

Red Lines story pending, though.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: February 06, 2014, 02:38:47 am »

Cool.

Short-ish Fiction Contest: Draigcorp 2014 Edition
"Because I can."

Rules
Your story must be greater than 250 words.
Your story must be less than 10,000 words. (Translated into average paperback pages, that's ~40 pages.)
Your story must be submitted before Sunday at whenever-I-start-grading (and preferably earlier) to be considered.
Your story must respond to the prompt (in some way) in order to be considered for grading.
You cannot win twice in a row. You may be ranked first, but you can't get the benefits of 'winning'.
You can submit a story either in the thread or by pm. If you submit by PM, your story will remain anonymous.

You Can
Submit stories from a larger body of work, as long as they fall within the word limits.
Write in any kind of style you feel like. I really don't give a damn and I've read pretty much anything.
Write poetry. Bear in mind that I am not a brilliant judge of poetry and will be a very wishy-washy critic in that regard. Note: Poetry is exempt from wordcount.

You Cannot
Write stories of graphic sexuality. Forum rules, blah blah blah. Keep Reginald's quivering member to yourself. Sex is fine, just don't make it the centerpiece of the story.
Write nonfiction. I don't care if it's a spectacular history of central Asia that explains Kazakhstan's multi-vector politics AND somehow fits the prompt. NO. Bad brain!
Submit the exact same story twice, even if it fits two prompts. You must evidence clear and substantial revisions before you can re-enter an old piece.

How this Works

Every week there will be a prompt submitted Sunday night or Monday morning. You then have the rest of the week to work on your story. You can submit anytime between the start of the contest and Sunday. I'll start ranking things Sunday, and if you post your story too close to the deadline, I won't consider it into the rankings and you can use it another time.
   Later Sunday I will declare someone a winner and rank the rest of the stories. I will provide critique along with each piece. It may not be substantial, but I guarantee you that I will read it and point out the parts of it that I think work best and the parts that need the most work. I will avoid being mean, but I will also avoid telling you something is awesome when I think it needs work.
   Then, after I declare a winner, that person declares the next prompt. Then the process repeats. If the winner doesn't post a prompt by the end of Monday, I will post one that night. The winner can also waive the right to make their own prompt, but I can't imagine anyone doing that. I may also veto the winners prompt and write a new one of the occasion calls for it. Fanfic, since it you need knowledge to write in it, is a banned category for prompts. (Not, however, for stories.)

TO BEGIN: Prompt 1, extra long write time. Submissions open 2/6 - 2/16

Prompt: Take any popular theme from a story, movie, show, whatever, and invert it. The humans are killing all robots, the dark lord was actually kind of a good guy, the hero is an unlikeable bastard, the princess is ugly, etc, etc. Have fun with it.

Spoiler: FAQ (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 10:12:35 am by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: February 06, 2014, 03:46:40 am »

Still working on red lines.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #663 on: February 06, 2014, 04:03:00 am »

Had to write an 'imagist poem', thought I'd drop it here and see if I can pick up some criticism.
Last line originally read "the red evening skies" but I cut 'the' to make the line lengths symmetrical.
If you do feel like criticizing, feel free to be as harsh as you like.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: February 06, 2014, 04:36:04 am »

I'd like to suggest (well, resuggest) an idea of mine. Have the stories presented anonymously for the forum for rating and comments. Would be nice to get unbiased critique and rating. I'm all for a competitive contest in any case.

I'm gonna try to get into both of these writing exercises as I have more free time now. Only great things can follow.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: February 06, 2014, 04:41:23 am »

Maybe we should have to review the other input stories in order to submit ours? This thread does have the slight problem of stories are posted but you're not sure anyone else read them.

Digital Hellhound's idea sounds good as well

Seems decent enough. I honestly can't think of any improvements to it. Pigeons, though... damn flying rats *shakes fist

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: February 06, 2014, 09:47:34 am »

I'd like to suggest (well, resuggest) an idea of mine. Have the stories presented anonymously for the forum for rating and comments. Would be nice to get unbiased critique and rating. I'm all for a competitive contest in any case.

Sounds good, how do you want to do it?
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: February 06, 2014, 09:54:25 am »

The original idea had the texts submitted to the organizer through private message, who would then post them all at the same time without revealing the authors. People would then read, comment, possibly vote. I'm not sure if that would make people here comment more on people's works, though. Also, you would know who the authors are but y'know, I have faith in your impartiality.

I dunno, it's possibly unnecessary complication. Just do whatever you feel works best.

I started my Red Lines piece, too, shall try to finish it.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: February 06, 2014, 10:13:12 am »

I have faith in your impartiality.

You are a very silly person.

The option has been added to submit by PM or by post to the contest.

Maybe we should have to review the other input stories in order to submit ours? This thread does have the slight problem of stories are posted but you're not sure anyone else read them.

Problem is that creates a rising cost to get it. I'd love for people to do it of their volition, but forcing it is a recipe for slowdowns and worse. The first person has to read absolutely nothing in order to get in, the second person has to read one thing, and the third person has to read two things and so forth and so on. A contest is a lot less attractive when someone tells you that, in addition to writing a story, you have to read and critique the stories of the five people who were here first.
   Of course, you could require that everyone review everyone else’s before judging to ensure that some people didn't end up having to give five reviews while the first person to gave none, but then what happens if a story is submitted Sunday morning? I'm probably not going to have started looking at things before then, but then I have to wait for review submission from everyone else. You can see how this might not work so well.
---

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #669 on: February 06, 2014, 10:25:21 am »

Soo ... lazy... must .... write...

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: February 06, 2014, 12:38:26 pm »

Problem is that creates a rising cost to get it. I'd love for people to do it of their volition, but forcing it is a recipe for slowdowns and worse. The first person has to read absolutely nothing in order to get in, the second person has to read one thing, and the third person has to read two things and so forth and so on. A contest is a lot less attractive when someone tells you that, in addition to writing a story, you have to read and critique the stories of the five people who were here first.
   Of course, you could require that everyone review everyone else’s before judging to ensure that some people didn't end up having to give five reviews while the first person to gave none, but then what happens if a story is submitted Sunday morning? I'm probably not going to have started looking at things before then, but then I have to wait for review submission from everyone else. You can see how this might not work so well.

Ah yeah, that makes sense. Didn't think of that.
Anyway, my submission for Draignean's:

Spoiler: The Onslaught (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 06:05:35 pm by GiglameshDespair »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: February 06, 2014, 09:02:00 pm »

I have faith in your impartiality.

You are a very silly person.

The option has been added to submit by PM or by post to the contest.
How's about submitting it to one person and said person will post all those stories in one single post with only a tag number so the reader/judge won't know who wrote what?
The PM receiver would post them all. And judging will be by number. :O
I'd forward myself but I dunno if that's a good idea to others..somehow.

Soo ... lazy... must .... write...
Tiruin instills passion and fervor into Skyru's writing stance.
You write well. Nobody will read it. Now write so everyone will read it!
I'm doing this right, Draignean?

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: February 08, 2014, 05:01:30 am »

Red Lines!
At last, instead of laziness!

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: February 08, 2014, 02:03:51 pm »

I, uhh, notice now that this is 1200+ words, which is a bit over the limit. I hope that's not too much of a problem. Formatting might need a lil' tweaking, too. Anyway, Red Lines, here goes;

Spoiler: Red Lines (click to show/hide)

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: February 08, 2014, 05:52:23 pm »

Entry for Draignean's contest. If I do continue entering in his contests, I want to have all my entries link together in one continuity. For giggles, I guess.
Spoiler: No Exit (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Note (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 05:58:30 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 130