Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1677342 times)

JumpingJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #1425 on: April 17, 2016, 02:15:03 am »

I made Blackwatch in the race creator:

-snip-

Really cool. I'm on a bit of a Doctor Who binge at the moment, so I tried my hand at making the Time Lords:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit: While we're at it, how about some Daleks?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 02:36:18 am by JumpingJack »
I'M NOT HERE TO CHAT, I'M HERE TO DANCE OVER YOUR DEFEAT.
Imagine how much more exciting the dinosaur exhibits would be if we had necromancers.
Sigtext

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: April 17, 2016, 06:29:13 am »

I can see this being absolutely the go-to game for sci-fi total conversions. Whilst at the moment stuff is a bit simplistic (+/- basic stats and some bizarre locking - I want a collectivist science directorate!) I can imagine with some inventive modding you could get really unique feeling empires due to multi-tier system of ethos, government and traits.

My big fear is that they're going to be really slow on the modding front (especially in terms of releasing any tools) as they'll want to release a lot DLC/race packs and milk it for whatever they can first.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1427 on: April 17, 2016, 06:46:40 am »

Assuming it's built on the Clausewitz engine, we should be able to mod a fair bit of stuff, short of drastically changing mechanics.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: April 17, 2016, 07:08:16 am »

My big fear is that they're going to be really slow on the modding front (especially in terms of releasing any tools) as they'll want to release a lot DLC/race packs and milk it for whatever they can first.
Where does this mentality come from?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: April 17, 2016, 07:11:26 am »

By the way, I remember in the blorg stream at one point they had pops that broke the 3 trait point limit, which seems to say to me that's only the starting limit. I wonder if you can socially engineer the socially perfect population, and I did hear at one point you can change your governments ethos, although it's unclear if you change it to what a pop is or if you're limited to the three point system. If you can change it to a pop I can imagine a quad fanatic future!

I would guess, at least it would be for me if I thought this, it'd be from the way that they pump out a extremely high amount of dlc. Clearly the financial incentive is there.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: April 17, 2016, 08:28:19 am »

Assuming it's built on the Clausewitz engine, we should be able to mod a fair bit of stuff, short of drastically changing mechanics.
I don't see why it wouldn't be, Paradox makes most of its stuff using that.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: April 17, 2016, 12:26:11 pm »

They never released any tools for their other games, because generally the only tool you need to make major changes is notepad. Tons of stuff is just stored as plain text. The one thing that does kind of require a special tool is models, but someone from the community has recently made major progress there, and since it's all Clausewitz it should be relatively easy to transfer.

I don't see why it wouldn't be, Paradox makes most of its stuff using that.
All of its stuff I think, since switching to 3D. They confirmed that this is Clausewitz quite a while ago.

Cicero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: April 17, 2016, 12:36:17 pm »

This doesn't seem like a company opposed to modding... https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hearts-of-iron-iv-development-diary-52-modding.920875/

Seriously I know hating on Paradox and their DLC strategy has been the flavour of the month for a little while but they have one of the better modding communities out there, and they support them really well. They made a number of changes to CK2 so that the Game of Thrones mod would work better. I can't think of any other major company that engages their fans as effectively as Paradox does.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: April 17, 2016, 12:39:11 pm »

I would guess, at least it would be for me if I thought this, it'd be from the way that they pump out a extremely high amount of dlc. Clearly the financial incentive is there.
And yet so far as I'm aware it's not happened on their other games.

The mentality mainly stems from the amount of content/advancements that are obviously set for DLC (more varied/deep characters for instance) - if a mod manages that first, what's the point of anyone buying the DLC that does that?

Whilst we can say 'well any mod for any game could do that' -  with their historical games, they were recreating historical stuff that had limits and set people to emulate. Paradox could by and large do that best - they could add mechanics, detail, graphics and everything that suited those added cultures better than most could and most importantly, they had already covered most of the major bases already.

With Stellaris a lot of stuff is procgend, so you're basically just adding functionality, which I believe is something that they'll want to keep to themselves. They're basically competing with the modders in a more direct fashion than before. It's not that I don't think they'll ever allow or be happy with modding, I just wouldn't be surprised if they limit what can be done mechanics wise early on whilst they get all the missing functionality in place.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: April 17, 2016, 12:41:07 pm »

Basic Imperium of Man:

Spiritualist, Xenophobe, Militarist

Theocratic Oligarchy

Communal, Conformist
Decadent, Weak

+50% Alien slavery tolerance
+50% Alliance cost
-10% Army damage
-30% Ethics divergence
+10% Happiness
-10% Resource output without slaves
+25% Rivalry influence gain
+5% War happiness
+50% War tolerance
+10% Xenophobia

Seems legit. Could substitute Rapid Breeders for Communal.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 12:44:23 pm by JimboM12 »
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: April 17, 2016, 01:07:15 pm »

Aliens slaves? The only thing the Imperium wants with xenos is purging.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: April 17, 2016, 01:10:52 pm »

Aliens slaves? The only thing the Imperium wants with xenos is purging.

Unfortunately I don't see a way to enable alien purging. Maybe by alien slavery, they mean they try to slap chains on them after they kill them? Though, I could see the Imperium setting up giant work camps to enslave the Eldar and Tau.

*Edit, cant type today.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: April 17, 2016, 01:44:59 pm »

Purging requires either xenophobe of fanatic xenophobe. The building thing shows you the numerical bonuses, but it doesn't tell you everything about laws and technologies unlocked, both because there's too many, and because our knowledge of them so far is quite incomplete.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: April 17, 2016, 01:56:09 pm »

We really all should be playing as the Ayy Lmao species to perform aggressive observation upon primitives.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: April 17, 2016, 02:21:11 pm »

Basic Imperium of Man:

Spiritualist, Xenophobe, Militarist

Theocratic Oligarchy

Communal, Conformist
Decadent, Weak

+50% Alien slavery tolerance
+50% Alliance cost
-10% Army damage
-30% Ethics divergence
+10% Happiness
-10% Resource output without slaves
+25% Rivalry influence gain
+5% War happiness
+50% War tolerance
+10% Xenophobia

Seems legit. Could substitute Rapid Breeders for Communal.
I was thinking about it but I don't think the Imperium of Man is communal or conformist, though it's certainly decadent and weak. (They can't even function as a society without servitors)

On the surface it might seem communal and conformist but if you know anything about the Imperium is that it's only loosely tied together by worship of the Emperor. Across its countless worlds and countless hegemonies are countless ruling styles which can be somewhat loosely classified into things like Feudal World, Hive World, etc. They mostly do their own thing except they pay tithes to the Emperor and worship the Emperor in some way and even the manner in they worship can vary quite a bit between worlds. Many of them associate His worship with the worship of their local sun for example.

Many worlds which have fallen technologically and regressed socially now have planetary governors assigned by the Imperium ruling over them in a space station while they live out their lives in a sort of medieval / primitive state. Worlds are so completely out of touch with each other that it's common that planets which have been completely eradicated of life for years can go unnoticed for decades or centuries.

So really, it's about as communal as we are communal today, which is to say not very communal at all. They're definitely rapid breeders though, as they're the only ones other than the Orks who's main strategy is to throw bodies at things until they die.
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 632