Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1677366 times)

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #1935 on: May 11, 2016, 02:15:49 pm »

I'm getting all kinds or rare techs like +15 happiness building and a +10 happiness and +5 habitability building. Super good. I also got a weired one called private colonization ships or something with a cheaper colony ship that has apparently random ethos pops. Also a colonial terminal with big discounts and spread up colony shop building. I'm definitely seeing a theme here. All vary cool though. I just can resist shiny purple techs.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: May 11, 2016, 02:22:35 pm »

Ah, so less CK-like and more 4x?  Wants me some elaboration.
In CK, you also use war to expand. You can also choose to not expand and just work on infrastructure if you like. Although it's very 4x-like in that you want a big navy or else your enemies will smell weakness and attack, and if you have a big navy you might as well use it.

I'm getting all kinds or rare techs like +15 happiness building and a +10 happiness and +5 habitability building. Super good. I also got a weired one called private colonization ships or something with a cheaper colony ship that has apparently random ethos pops. Also a colonial terminal with big discounts and spread up colony shop building. I'm definitely seeing a theme here. All vary cool though. I just can resist shiny purple techs.
I'm also getting a lot of rare techs, but on a different set of themes. I think it depends on your ethos.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 02:24:13 pm by Cruxador »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: May 11, 2016, 02:23:36 pm »

I see a lot of complaints about hitting a point where you can't expand peaceably anymore in this thread... what comes after?
War.
Once you finish exploring the galaxy, your borders will probably be touching everyone else inappropriately. Then alliances and federations will pop up. You'll probably get invited to a few. Then people fight big massive wars that lasts years because everything is so huge.

At the same time you'll work on the long-term quests that you can finally do.

After awhile someone will fuck up a tech or something or some dudes might go "HYUK HYUK HYUK" at you.

That's basically it. Just preface everything with "it might be buggy".

I['m also getting a hell of a lot of lag in the lategame. The lag is primarily the reason why I stopped.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: May 11, 2016, 02:25:20 pm »

Re: sectors.  I've been rotating every sector in my empire between industrial, tech, and energy production whenever I remember to.  I give new sectors huge resource grants and don't tax them, then within about 10-20 years once I'm sure they can be self sufficient I move them up to max taxation.  So far I have more energy and minerals than I know what to do with so it seems to be working.

I see a lot of complaints about hitting a point where you can't expand peaceably anymore in this thread... what comes after?
War.
I've played for a little under 30 hours in my first game and colonized huge swathes of space.  Still have more colonization to do.  It mainly depends on how the early game goes; sometimes people get boxed in by larger powers, sometimes you break out and everything is good.  Inevitably if enough time passes everything will be colonized and then it turns into EU4/ CK2.

So... how feature rich/barren is the post-colonization phase of the game? 

Also, mentions about AI sticking to their alliance/federation through thick and thin, despite things, sounds... bad.
It depends, really.  You can start playing the game like EU where its all about interacting with other empires, mainly through conquering them.  Sometimes crisis will happen (like the Unbidden everyone keeps talking about) but that's not a sure thing.  Some of it feels a little half baked right now.  Alliances and federations are a bit... off at the moment.  Like they could use a little cleaning up and a few extra features before they're really going to start making the game more fun.

There's some fun internal stuff you can do with pops.  You can genetically engineer them to be different, build robots to populate worlds, and do all kinds of stuff with migration/resettlement/enslavement/purges.  The only real use of all this is to incrementally increase efficiency or to open up new worlds for colonization.  Beyond that you can have fun role-playing the kind of civ you want to be.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: May 11, 2016, 02:32:12 pm »

Another thing I'd like to bring up is the lack of mid-game events. There are anomalies, and at the end there's huge story-changers. I guess politics are supposed to be what you do in the mid-game. But something like CK2 has tons of events throughout, and politics at the same time, so this feels comparatively much emptier. Also the politics are pretty shallow, taking some inspiration from the 4x side of things.

There's some fun internal stuff you can do with pops.
"fun" for someone's definition. It all has flaws.
You can genetically engineer them to be different,
But for xenophobes, this will screw you, since they count themselves as xenos.
build robots to populate worlds
Which is needlessly expensive and thus rarely useful
migration/resettlement
Basically book keeping, in practice
enslavement
Mostly useful for cheesing out of faction revolts
purges
I haven't found any practical use at all for this.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1940 on: May 11, 2016, 02:45:34 pm »

purges
I haven't found any practical use at all for this.

well, they are a great way to manage planets conquered in war, when the ethics of you and the people you conquered are radically diverse. I am playing a game in which I am not purging anyone and conquering fanatic pacifist with  fanatic militarist was no fun.
Meanwhile, in another game I am playing I purged all the pops from conquered planets, drew in some fresh ones who don't hate me and they are productive much earlier than the unpurged ones

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1941 on: May 11, 2016, 02:47:20 pm »

I actually don't get the point of enslavement in terms of general use. When I tried a fanatic xenophobic xeno-slavery empire. It just ended up hurting me because it tanks the happiness of everyone involved with a research debuff to slaves for added effect.

In the end I just had an empire witth a bit more pop than it would have otherwise with the extreme majority of the empire very unhappy and a large portion unable to research.  The extra pop isn't even that useful as I don't find myself needing it.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 05:05:19 pm by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1942 on: May 11, 2016, 02:59:49 pm »

I actually don't get he point of enslavement in terms of general use. When I tried a fanatic xenophobic xeno-slavery empire. It just ended up hurting me because it tanks the happiness of everyone involved with a research debuff to slaves for added effect.

In the end I just had an empire witth a bit more pop than it would have otherwise with the extreme majority of the empire very unhappy and a large portion unable to research.  The extra pop isn't even that useful as I don't find myself needing it.

I use em to control population factions. Take over planets, enslave all the pop. Set the planet to make mostly energy and mineral credits. Slowly turn the core worlds that have your main population into nothing but research centers and enough farms to not starve. If literally everyone else in your empire is enslaved aside form your primary race and you have a low ethics diversion, you can pretty much ignore all factions.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1943 on: May 11, 2016, 03:01:15 pm »

You know, I can see why they turned off slave rebellions.  Apparently slave factions have INFINITE attraction for slave pops.  Why they thought that was a good idea, I don't know.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1944 on: May 11, 2016, 03:12:46 pm »

Is there a way of getting rid of population without ethics with PUUURGE, or to obtain ethics required for puuuurge?

How in the name of the golden throne, ratings are calculated? It shows, that my enemy is equal to me in technology and superiour in naval power, but my glorius destroyers with impenetratable shields, giant torpedoes, regenerating hulls, plasma cannons and advanced computers using pinnacle of technology engines to dodge 40 % of the shots dont really look equal in technology or power to swarms of ugly xeno basic corvettes with red laser, autocannon  and 50 shield without any high tech computing power or engine to dodge giant torpedoes. 

Is there way of increasing chance of getting some tech? Despite having all prerequisites sentient ai tech never shows up ;-;7

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1945 on: May 11, 2016, 03:15:44 pm »

Is there way of increasing chance of getting some tech? Despite having all prerequisites sentient ai tech never shows up ;-;7
Yeah, certain ethos and government types get different tech priorities. Militarist tend to get more weapons. Materialists tend to get more research. Etc. It's stupid that the game doesn't tell you.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1946 on: May 11, 2016, 03:26:12 pm »

How in the name of the golden throne, ratings are calculated? It shows, that my enemy is equal to me in technology and superiour in naval power, but my glorius destroyers with impenetratable shields, giant torpedoes, regenerating hulls, plasma cannons and advanced computers using pinnacle of technology engines to dodge 40 % of the shots dont really look equal in technology or power to swarms of ugly xeno basic corvettes with red laser, autocannon  and 50 shield without any high tech computing power or engine to dodge giant torpedoes. 
Naval power is calculated as the sum power of all your fleets, which is a very imprecise rating but more-or-less accurate assuming that neither of you has any special advantages or counters.  AKA its never actually accurate but you can't quite tell in advance which side will be favored.

Fleet size limit should be obvious.

This is a guess, but tech rating is the sum of the cost of all research a nation has done.  Not sure if it includes non-military or not.  That means that if one civ has researched a variety of options while another has stayed focused on a single path of weapons development, they'll have "equal" tech as the game counts it.  It possible that the AI has better tech than you know and they haven't upgraded their ships to use said tech yet; not sure how rigorous the AI is about keeping its fleets up to date.

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1947 on: May 11, 2016, 03:26:53 pm »

Yeah, certain ethos and government types get different tech priorities. Militarist tend to get more weapons. Materialists tend to get more research. Etc. It's stupid that the game doesn't tell you.

Also, looking at the wiki, your scientists traits can give better chances of getting certain types of tech.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1948 on: May 11, 2016, 04:09:38 pm »

I actually don't get he point of enslavement in terms of general use. When I tried a fanatic xenophobic xeno-slavery empire. It just ended up hurting me because it tanks the happiness of everyone involved with a research debuff to slaves for added effect.

The key afaik so far seem to be xenophobic is the wrong direction for slavers. Fanatic Collectivist lose no happiness for slavery, regardless of if they are slaves or non-slave researchers, energy producers. The penalty you get for that ethos is vastly limited governmental type selection, and people start to complain if you let them drift too far with too many slaves on the planet.

Though I just finished a rare orbital mind control laser tech, so if i could afford it, I could push them back with -30% ethics drift.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 04:11:59 pm by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1949 on: May 11, 2016, 05:02:06 pm »

I have to say, the IGN review is pretty spot on: http://ca.ign.com/articles/2016/05/09/stellaris-review

I would ignore the score but I'm sure some people would raise arms about it.

This game feels like Sengoku.
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 632