Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1677364 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #2205 on: May 16, 2016, 05:03:29 am »

So apparently, if you decimate an enemy fleet but they use their emergency FTL to retreat, it doesn't count and doesn't show up in the war score tab  ???
It doesn't count for your fleets either IIRC
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2206 on: May 16, 2016, 05:30:11 am »

So apparently, if you decimate an enemy fleet but they use their emergency FTL to retreat, it doesn't count and doesn't show up in the war score tab  ???
It doesn't count for your fleets either IIRC

I figured as much, I guess the check for warscore modification only happens at regular end of combat. Pretty silly though  :)

Edit: Ugh, I just noticed that for the last two events (anomaly and first colony) I did in fact not gain any of the research points the pop-up said I would. It'll take some more research (pun intended) but it seems like the RP gain from events might not be working. That's a pretty big thing to miss on release  :D
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 06:47:19 am by Sartain »

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2207 on: May 16, 2016, 06:49:27 am »

RP gain works, it just works in a limited way. When you gain research points in a lump sum, they are not added instantly - so you don't get tech instantly. Instead you get the extra points at max twice the rate of your research generation in the applicable field. So if you get 200 points and your Physics income is +20, for example, you get +40 physics point per month applied to research as maximum till the 200 points are all spent. This portrays data applied by your scientists and I think it is actually a pretty good system. It portrays the need for scientific institutions; if you have a shitload of scientific data but only one professor to go through it... well, progress won't be instant.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 06:51:57 am by Majestic7 »

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: May 16, 2016, 06:52:40 am »

RP gain works, it just works in a limited way. When you gain research points in a lump sum, they are not added instantly - so you don't get tech instantly. Instead you get the extra points at max twice the rate of your research generation in the applicable field. So if you get 200 points and your Physics income is +20, for example, you get +40 physics point per month applied to research as maximum till the 200 points are all spent. This portrays data applied by your scientists and I think it is actually a pretty good system. It portrays the need for scientific institutions; if you have a shitload of scientific data but only one professor to go through it... well, progress won't be instant.

You're right, and you're right. That is actually a very nice mechanic!

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2209 on: May 16, 2016, 07:35:19 am »

So I wondered what would happen if I made a Fanatic Collectivist (+100% Slavery tolerance) / Spiritualist (+5 Happiness) Divine Mandate government (+50% more slavery tolerance).

As with 100% tolerance, the free population aren't unhappy with slavery.  But the slaves actually get a 7% boost to happiness.  I've created the BDSEmpire.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2210 on: May 16, 2016, 08:36:46 am »

It actualy makes sense if you think about it in context.  Slaves are prob promissed a nice afterlife for their servitude, which doenst change the fact slavery sucks, but gives them something to hope for, which equates into a small happiness boost.

Assuming said government also indoctrinates its slaves :v

Anyway, made a race of Rak'Gol eske things, militaristic, spiritualistic xenophobes, but no fanatism for anything. This lets me do things such as purging xenos pops and full bombardments, while giving me enough leeway to maintain eslaved xenos pops, do AI, etc.
But goddamn am I starved for minerals. I had to fill most of my homeworld with power plants to make up for the lack energy sources within my borders at the start, but I'm also lacking in minerals, while there are two nearby not so friendly small empires, which have recently expanded a little bit and blocked the hyperlane path between a science ship and my empire, forcing it to have to go around the entire galaxy to get back to me.

Hyperlanes kinda suck now that I look at it :v, the extra travel speed doesnt make up for the lack of flexibility.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 08:56:21 am by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2211 on: May 16, 2016, 11:19:56 am »

« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 11:23:36 am by Ultimuh »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2212 on: May 16, 2016, 11:22:48 am »

I've found hyperlanes only fun if everyone uses them. We did a multiplayer game where hyperlanes were forced and it worked out quite well with bottlenecks and chokepoints actually becoming strategic locations to defend. You can't just declare war on anyone, only those people you have connections to.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2213 on: May 16, 2016, 01:04:34 pm »

I've found hyperlanes only fun if everyone uses them. We did a multiplayer game where hyperlanes were forced and it worked out quite well with bottlenecks and chokepoints actually becoming strategic locations to defend. You can't just declare war on anyone, only those people you have connections to.

I love Hyperdrive FTL for the easy exploration it allows you. Jumping from anywhere in a system lets you avoid any nasty space wildlife and explore ALL THE SYSTEMS at your leisure, so long as you micro your Science Vessel a bit.
Of course, with Hyperlanes you need to keep reminding yourself that those lanes you see are only your possible avenues of travel, unless playing with enforced FTL. I tend to forget that my neighbours might very well use some other FTL tech when using Hyperlanes, which can give you a few annoying surprises.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2214 on: May 16, 2016, 01:37:59 pm »

Here's Paradox's latest Stellaris dev diary where they talk about the plans moving forward: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-33-the-maiden-voyage.932668/

tl;dr:
1. End of May = fix major bugs
2. End of June - Add stuff

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2215 on: May 16, 2016, 01:49:02 pm »

Here's Paradox's latest Stellaris dev diary where they talk about the plans moving forward: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-33-the-maiden-voyage.932668/

tl;dr:
1. End of May = fix major bugs
2. End of June - Add stuff

Thanks for that - it looks good, but they really need to have a 'MASSIVE UI AND AUTOMATION IMPROVEMENT' release before anything else. It's worrying that they think people's biggest problem is a lack of mid game content, compared to the absolute tedium of having to micro everything. I'm sure it'll all come in eventually, I just wish it was a bit more prioritized.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2216 on: May 16, 2016, 02:03:47 pm »

My micro's gone down since I decided to settle and stop expanding so rapidly.

I'm playing the Tendrakkian confederation, fanatic xenophobe militarist lizard junta.  So far pretty fun.  I've been an unbelievable dick to basically everything around me.  Only one distant empire have I actually had anything resembling peaceful interactions.  I've had four primitives in my territory.  The first I found I went ayylmao on and infiltrated them.  My gene-modded agents took over and then signed an agreement with the beneficent aliens.  The Haahn are industrious and strong so I enslaved them for minerals.  Sci-fi stuff always makes passing references to "the slave mines of Jurg" or whatever as a place you never want to go.  Now I actually have one.  Better than the thimoids and photecians though...

The photecians were alt-humans with bad traits for slavery.  They had also reached the space age and were in a strategic expansion spot.  Their first contact with aliens was my fleet destroying their space station and then bombarding the planet.  We invaded and wiped out their army, then I exterminated them and moved Tendrakkians in to occupy the planet instead. 

They're gone now.  Just vanished from the species list, not even a footnote like "Photecians, extinct as of XXXX.XX.XX."  Kind of sad.

Then there's two other species I haven't had much interest in.  They're much more primitive so there's not much to do with them and they're well within my territory so I'm just researching them.

The Thimoid Hegemony was a neighbor empire that had an unfortunate start sandwiched between bigger empires and never really got off the ground.  They insulted me, so I destroyed their fleet, annexed their homeworld, and now I'm in the process of killing them off pop by pop and replacing them with robots.

I am Space Hitler.
Shoes...

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2217 on: May 16, 2016, 02:04:36 pm »

I'm curious - what is the micro that annoys you so? I only micro constructor and science ships.  Sure, the sector AI sucks for now, but in single player your opponents use the same AI, so I don't care that much.

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2218 on: May 16, 2016, 02:05:20 pm »

Looks like a bunch of the UI/Automation improvements are planned as part of the bigger updates. We'll see how that works out.

Beyond that, this sounds fantastic.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: May 16, 2016, 02:33:40 pm »

I'm curious - what is the micro that annoys you so? I only micro constructor and science ships.  Sure, the sector AI sucks for now, but in single player your opponents use the same AI, so I don't care that much.

For me it's having to micro around the science ships, and that they get stuck if they hit a system they can't survey because of bad guys. It's SUCH a pain. It's also things like having to move a science ship manually over to events rather than just saying 'send next free science ship' or something.

On top of that, the interface is just clunky. There are so many screens that could be combined or merged into something else - along with a lot of useless notifications 'something has been built on your planet!'
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 632